Interesting smartphone apps

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Interesting smartphone apps

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am

Smartphones are quite ubiquitous these days, and I suspect there are many apps that are of interest to those who assemble here. For my sins I get to use an iPhone 6. Hence my offerings will be iOS apps. A couple that I have found to be of particular value are LastQuake and FlightRadar24.

FlightRadar24 is probably well known to all. Find it nice to be able to look up, see a passing aircraft, tap an icon on my phone and immediately know all there is to know about it.

LastQuake is the official phone application of the Euro-Mediterranean Seismological Center (EMSC). Designed by seismologists, the LastQuake application is dedicated to alerting populations and gathering testimonies in real time. In only a few minutes, EMSC is thus able to estimate earthquake effects.

I am sure there must be lots of other apps that would be interest to members.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

Re: Interesting smartphone apps

#2 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am

FR24 is great, but unfortunately like many other apps, doesn't work well on a Windows phone, in fact some don't work at all. If anyone knows of a similat Flight Tracking app that works well on a Windows phone, please let me know.

(And before anyone says the obvious ............ I know, but I'm not getting an Iphone, in fact I gave one away a couple of years ago.)

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am

Capes try this. Might work.

https://global.adsbexchange.com

Select global radar view and lo all the aircraft In the sky above you... I am told there is an android and windows app.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by unifoxos » Tue May 02, 2017 4:21 pm

When 'er indoors got a smartphone I loaded the Google Sky (?) app. Kept us amused for hours at night, really fascinating.

I might even load it on mine, if I ever bother to get one.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm

unifoxos wrote:When 'er indoors got a smartphone I loaded the Google Sky (?) app. Kept us amused for hours at night, really fascinating.

I might even load it on mine, if I ever bother to get one.

As another Luddite, who is thinking vaguely of moving onto a smart phone, anybody with experience of them like to advise on the minimum spec one should look for?

I definitely am not going to spend mega-bucks on the latest Apple or Samsung product.

I have got by with a Nokia C201 on pay as you go, for the last 4 years.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed May 03, 2017 7:18 am

For the last couple of years I do move around without a car and my favorite app (and the about 50% of the reason to own a smartphone) is the one telling me which time each bus will arrive at a specific stop. Good to know to limit the waiting at a bus stop or change the route.

The other 50% of the reason I need to have a smartphone is that my monthly line fee includes 0.5 GB of data, hence if that part is wasted if I use a standard phone.