If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Cause for Concern - A Memory Project

Sisemen

Re: Cause for Concern - A Memory Project

#41 Post by Sisemen » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 am

Had to go to a meeting in Perth this morning. 50 km down the road I suddenly realised that I didn’t have my wallet!! I ended up late for the meeting unsurprisingly.

Slasher

#42 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06 am

"Testicles spectacles wallet and watch" says the old saying mate.

Never leave home without 'em! ;)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:31 am

Blacksheep wrote:My current cause for concern is that when I'm typing I've begun to sometimes scramble the letters up and put thme in teh wrong odre.
Then I have to go back and rearrange them.

This maens I need a fersh battry in my crodless kyebaord o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by unifoxos » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:42 am

I've got an autocorrect in MS Word for teh -> the, slef -> self, and a few more.

And "taht" for that, "nad" for and etc. I have an autocorrect that works in all programs using the freebie utility Autohotkey, so it works in emails, forum postings etc. Also I can set it to expand common words, so in my notes to myself (using Windows notepad) re my various projects and the state thereof, I can, for exapmle, type the letters "tf" and as soon as I space on I get them changed to "therefore", "sb" becomes "should be" etc - note I had to put them in quotes here otherwise they would have been expanded in this post. I have a shortcut on my desktop to the script so I can easily add another entry.

It also gives me hotkeys, set up with things like the lines of my address, so thet filling in forms when buying stuff is a piece of cake.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Slasher

#45 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm the same and do crosswords, codewords, sudoku etc to keep the brain cell neurons from rotting, but within 2 mins of being told someone's name I've usually forgotten it and have to ask again.

I do recall well about fiveish years ago bumping into a very nice Western lady coming out of a store in Bangkok. I said sorry and she yelled "Slash! How are you!" in a pommy accent. Well I guess she obviously knew me even though I couldn't recognize her from a bar of soap but I said Hi too. She said lets do coffee and off we went. Her shout so that was enough, and had her arm around mine with her left boob nuzzling my elbow. Couldn't recognize the boobs neither.

First off I found out her name was Jenny. That drew a blank. She and Tony did in fact divorce but it was amicable (who the fcuk is Tony?) and if I was curious, yes she did sell the place in Stratford (who's place? Bill Shakespeare's?) even though she didn't get the price she was asking.

She then scratched her left tit. That was nice.

She said she'd moved on but got involved again with Mike. "You remember Mike don't you?" (oh yes who could forget Mike. Good old Mike.) and she'd landed a job here in Thailand after Lilly put in a good word (oh yeh. Lilly's great isn't she?). "A two year contract doing what I love to do best Slash!" (at Firecats popping balloons from a peashooter in her snatch? How the fcuk would I know!)

So then she asked how was I doing, did I regret leaving Vietnam and did I ever marry that girl from the Philippines? And did I ever recover that 1/8th of an inch? ( :-o well...she knows me alright!)

I said I was doing fine, and no its still 7 and 7/8ths sorry to say.

"Jelqing didn't work then honey?"

"Er...no Jenny." ( another :-o )

We parted shortly afterwards outside the coffee joint and said goodbyes and the great to see you agains, and added I was still one of the best she ever had. (yet another :-o !!)

Can't remember who the hell she was but I did do a lot of drunken partying in Earls Court about ten years earlier at the invite of a mate after I experienced a personal tragedy in life. The thing is I wasn't old back then like I am now!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 am

I once lost an entire goddam car like that! Jet black Volvo 245 Turbo, parked in haste at the Kennedy Center's multi-story car park,

Nothing to do with memory loss - of which I concur with all the above, but also "lost" a car in a multi-storey car park,and having looked on every floor finally decided that it had been stolen - it had ! It was a hire car used when briefly visiting my mother in Doncaster, the rental co. gave me another one, which was stolen three days later off my mother's drive outside the house. Next visit the rental company gave me the one stolen from the drive, which had been recovered - 3 days later I found the drivers side window broken, but on the advice of the rental co. I had removed the contact breaker thingy, so it wouldn't start. I don't visit Doncaster anymore.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Take Tumeric tablets, big yellow orangey things. They really trigger your memory. All times of the day and night unexpected (and unwanted) facts, pictures, songs etc burst into your brain. I can highly recommend them. Unless what you want is something in sorted order. There is a certain random factor to the items Tumeric brings up !

Factoid: There is very little dementia seen in the elderly in countries which use a lot of curcumerin / tumeric in the food. That's true. Mind you the populations there do tend to be hysterically-raving loincloth or sarong-wearing loonies.

Sisemen

#48 Post by Sisemen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:02 pm

This a tale of two trees. Two trees which are fairly common in this part of Western Australia. I have lots of them on my land.

The tale of Tree#1. I suddenly couldn't remember the name of the tree (sheoak). No matter, it will come to me eventually. But it didn't. It was frustrating the hell out of me. Eventually I succumbed and googled it. Forehead slapping moment. That was yesterday.

The tale of Tree#2. I try to do a couple of miles walking before breakfast - as I did this morning. It was a really pleasant autumn day, sun shining, temperature in the low 20s at that time of day, breeze gently rustling the leaves and only one car on the road. It gives a man time to think and let his mind wander. I cogitated on the events of yesterday and thought to myself that it was really stupid that I couldn't remember the name of the sheoak. A bit like if had forgotten the name of (as I was passing the other well known tree) .........*****, what is the name of the bloody thing! It had gone. Begins with a "b". Sure it begins with a "b". I must be going bonkers! Fortunately within about 200 metres the brain had kicked in again and had divulged that the name of tree was, indeed, banksia.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 am

I am horribly hopeless with facial / name recognition..... I just put it right out there now and say..."Look I'm sorry, but I'm hopeless....I can't remember your name....."
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:29 am

Haven't been back to post on this project for a while, but did come up with a test that I tended to use at random intervals - like when I remembered. Have been using it more regularly this year. It's relatively easy for an aspie.

List the first twenty five prime numbers, enunciating them clearly, whilst timing the test with a computerised stop watch. Thought of needing to write them down, but that could end up as more of a test of my arthritis than my memory recall. Currently averaging 15 to 18 seconds. Might try for the first fifty if I get bored.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

I lost my car twice. First time I parked outside the Mess but didnt display my pass. RAF Police towed it away. Second time I was visiting a section but there was no parking and again it was towed away. At least that time I guessed where it was.

Only thing is, I dreamt it. Worse it was 18 years after I retired. Isn't the mind funny.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

When using multi storey car parks, I write the floor number on the ticket!
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:44 pm

When using multi storey car parks,

There's one near where I live, as you enter to collect your vehicle you flash the ticket past a scanner and green arrows set in the walls point to where you car is. Most impressive. (And when you first enter you see a sea of red LED's set in the ceiling: the occasional green one marks a free space).

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by probes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 am

unifoxos wrote:Also I can set it to expand common words, so...

yeah, and you'll prabably soon forget them like the numbers you have in your phone that show up as names... :( And then you'll be in real loss for words!

ExSp33db1rd wrote: I don't visit Doncaster anymore.

Well, that's a surprise ending to the incident :) (I'd have expected 'never get rental cars/ travel by bus' or something)