If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Fly in next spring -2017?

More Aviation

Fly in next spring -2017?

#1 Post by More Aviation » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

I know that winter has only just begun here in the UK, but would like to test the air to see if their is an appetite for an ops-normal fly in/get together here in the UK or Europe next year (preferably once the weather is improving (spring/early summer).

I know not everybody that posts here still flies but I am sure that if we can get at least a quorum a plan could be made to bring flyers and non flyers together for a meeting at some point of aviation interest with a suitable runway and basic luncheon facilities...

Places like Duxford in the UK or even lunch somewhere in France might be of interest (lunch in France is to be preferred if cuisine is high on the agenda)? Suggestions or indications of even mild interest would be most welcome.

If more than one other person is interested in this idea, I will take on the onerous task of planning, communicating and ensuring that it happens. :)

MA

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Fly in next spring -2017?

#2 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm

France might be of interest (lunch in France is to be preferred if cuisine is high on the agenda)

A guided tour around Base Aérienne 125, Istres, followed by Bouillabaisse on Vieux-Port, Marseille.

A nice 80th birthday trip for me :YMPARTY:
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Marseilles is a great city, despite, or perhaps because of, its fearsome reputation. I befriended a taxi driver there a few years ago when I had to go to the Russian consulate which was in some God-forsaken suburb and I had to 'come back in afternoon for visa', so he took me for a drive round, we had lunch, he took me to his house, and then back to the consulate and the station, and charged for the single trip to the consulate.
Needless to say, he was not native French, he was Algerian.

Might also be worth considering the Netherlands for an Indonesian meal, not as far as Istres/MRS.
This little place inTer Aar does a good snack, I go there sometimes for lunch after dragging myself off the CPT AMS.

More Aviation

#4 Post by More Aviation » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Capetonian wrote:Might also be worth considering the Netherlands for an Indonesian meal, not as far as Istres/MRS.
This little place inTer Aar does a good snack, I go there sometimes for lunch after dragging myself off the CPT AMS.

I quite like the idea of flying out for a meal at the Cafetaria Prick...

to see if their is an appetite

There.. damn it!

A flight to Istres would be great but not really practical unfortunately Ian16th unless one planned to stay for a day or two.

MA

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 am

After Marseilles, my 2nd best for food would be somewhere just off the Grand Place, Brussels for a bucket of mussels and a big bowl of chips.

But for aviation content, Brussels is a big fat blank. Zaventem is very high on the list of most boring airports in the world.

Mind you 'walking the ground' at Waterloo is an interesting day out.
Cynicism improves with age

More Aviation

#6 Post by More Aviation » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm

ian16th wrote:After Marseilles, my 2nd best for food would be somewhere just off the Grand Place, Brussels for a bucket of mussels and a big bowl of chips.

But for aviation content, Brussels is a big fat blank. Zaventem is very high on the list of most boring airports in the world.

Mind you 'walking the ground' at Waterloo is an interesting day out.

What about Bruges. we could pop over to Ostend and catch the train? Some really nice eateries there (just keep me away from the delicious Belgian beer otherwise the day trip might have to be extended)! :-)

MA

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by izod tester » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Actually, there is a very good aviation museum in Brussels. The museum of the Armed Forces and Military History has a very interesting section on aviation. Not too far from the Grand Place.
http://www.airmuseum.be/

Bob
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Bob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Fly In???, I'm up for it, spring is Soon
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Bob
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by Bob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Caco, do you have a venue in mind?

Cacophonix

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Bob

I was pondering either Duxford where the landing fee covers entry to the museums, workshops etc. or if folks interested tend to come more from the west of this fair isle then maybe somewhere rural like Pembrey at the weekend when it is licensed (insurance uber alles). If you are interested in doing the fly in and have some alternative suggestions then please fire away. It would be good to meet some of the denizens of this fine forum. :)

Caco

Bob
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by Bob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Duxford is a better venue IMHO, Pembrey has a nice eatery, but personaly I boycott the place as the Owner is on my 'not an upright human being' list
I suppose it depends on the where the participants are from and what they are flying, not that anyone else seems to be showing an interest as of yet.

As alternatives, I profer: Old Warden, Glenforsa (very weather dependant though), Barton and Halfpenny Green, I don't often go much futher East than old Warden as the terrain gets really boring

Overseas Abbeville or somewhere in Belgium is about my max range without it turning into an Epic.

Spring is soon people.

Cacophonix

#12 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Years since I flew to Halfpenny Green and that is kind of central. Either that or Duxford. If we fancy the continent then what about a flight to Ostend and a train trip to Bruges for lunch?

Caco