If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Batteries and flash lights

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Batteries and flash lights

#21 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Keef wrote:ub.

It would also be a very effective weapon if we wanted to defend ourselves, but I doubt it will ever come to that.

Various US police department banned their officers from carrying D cell maglites just for that reason.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Since having a chat about Torches via PM with Rwy on the other site, I got stuck into looking at replacing my old halogen torches and lights. Suffice to say with the exception of 2 Camping Fluros, they all got turfed in the bin.

I started buying AA and AAA Eneloops, mostly the AA "Tropical" and AAA "Chocolat" as it allows me to batch them. I haven't purchased any of the high end Eneloop XX type as I am not a heavy Camera flash user so didn't see the need.

I purchased 2 higher end Wolf Eyes torches, one uses 18650 batteries (not my favourite battery) and the other AA batteries. They are great for all round / car use, long range (100 - 200 metres) and attaching to firearms so I'll leave those alone.

My first foray into some cheaper hand held, AA or AAA was not good, tried 4 cheap, single LED torches
and binned the lot.

I have since decided in the interim to get a couple of the Coloured torches posted above which will suffice
my "short throw" light needs for now and since I know they work, are reliable and peanuts in cost (a single AAA Eneloop costs more than the torch :D ), they will do until I decide on a better quality single LED Torch.

more to follow ........

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks 500N,

May I point out that I live in an urban environment with very few if any outdoor activities. So my needs are mainly to illuminate a dark room, check some indicators at a difficult location or illuminate some steps ahead. So the long range is not important and water resistance is just good to have but not a must. So I liked your proposal.

Also can we trust a single LED to be reliable enough or a multiled is necessary?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Re Urban environment, that is why I just left that sentence re my two Wolf Eyes as a single one.
Not really important for here. And to be honest, plenty of review on the net for everyone to read.

"Also can we trust a single LED to be reliable enough or a multi led is necessary?"

Brand name, Higher end torches, yes, I think Single LED's are fine.
Lower end, cheap Chinese crap, as shown above, no, I don't think you can unless
you do a lot of research or find some good reviews and you might as well just buy
a brand name. (It's also not just the LED that fails on cheap stuff, the quality of
the electrics, switches go as well - from personal experience !).

Water proof - yes, you have a specific requirement but I kind of rarely get pissed on
by heavy rain at night, except walking back to where I sleep up north and then it's
really only a 30 second dash ! So I removed waterproof from my list of requirements.

more to follow .............

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I am generally not into the throw away and replace mentality but for what low end
torches and lights cost nowadays, how can you not.

The low end Round torches posted above cost me Aus $1.15 which is US$0.80 cents or Euro 0.80.
As I said, a single AAA Eneloops cost me more that !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my requirements was small general lights / torches that could light up a room,
throw light a short distance and I added "be attached to things" if needed.

First foray into this area was with these.

20+3 LED, Plastic stand with ONE switch, 1 magnet and a hook.
3 x AAA Batteries.

Good
Excellent light throw for both the 3 and the 20 LED
SUPERB length of time the 3 x AAA Batteries last with the 20 LED's left on continuously.
I left them on, they didn't even start to dim until 15 hours and the light was still useable
at 20 hours when I decided no need to continue the test. The length of time I could last
with only the 3 LED's lit would be impressive. IMHO that is pretty impressive.
Cost - about Aus $4 - 6 so peanuts.

Bad

IF you want to carry it as a torch for a long time, ergonomics are not that good in the hand.
ONE Switch - have to press the switch twice and cycle through the 20 LED to get to the 3 LED
and of course as the switch faces up, you end up with the 20 LED turning on facing you !

Currently the two of them are in my 2 "Go Bags".

421dog
Snr FO
Snr FO

#26 Post by 421dog » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:24 pm

I have two rechargeable Maglites with halogen bulbs. (3 D cell size, but originally with 12 v battery packs) One stays in my kitchen and the other lives in my favorite truck. When the original NiCad battery packs died, I was shocked at what the replacements cost. I happened to have a few D sized Nickel Metal Hydride cells lying about and I decided, what the heck, the worst I can do is burn down my house. Despite the supposed incompatibility, the first trial (admittedly on a bench with a 12v power supply) was remarkably successful. I then went on to a full utilization test, and for the last 2 years, these things have worked great. By rights, I'm charging them to about 7 volts more than they're rated for, but they don't get hot, and I have yet to run one down during normal use. Light output relative the the original battery pack seems unchanged.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:26 pm

I needed a light that I could use around home, an "Emergency light" so to speak that I could
stick on the fridge etc.

I also wanted one that used AA batteries instead of AAA because I have a few and didn't solely
want to rely on AAA's.

I knew of this 30+7 LED light that was reliable and cheap so purchased one.
I then purchased 2 more as the GF grabbed the first one for her.

30+7 LED, TWO switches, 1 magnet and a hook.
3 x AA Batteries.

Good

Very good light throw 30 LED and not bad for the 3 LED. Enough for what I need it for.
Similar in coverage to the previous 20 LED light but a slightly different pattern of brightness
in the middle of the light.
The fact it uses AA batteries which I like and is an alternative to AAA.
Batteries last pretty good as well although haven't done a full test.
SWITCH - Having a switch for each set of LED's is great.
Ergonomics, nice to hold in your hand as it has size you can grab hold of easily.
It is quite Long

Cost - about Aus $7 so peanuts.

Bad
The Switch on one of them broke after the first few uses.
The whole light was replaced.

I now have one of them stuck to my filing cabinet for emergency use.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies.

I am all set with the small round metallic 9 LED. The only negative think is they are not waterproof so if they get in the water I can say goodbuy to the batteries I bought. It just sicks me to have to pay 2 € for what you pay 0.8 €

I like the idea for the 20+3 or 30+7 ones. The main advantage I see is possibility to attach them and light a bit a room, where the round ones are more to find your ways.

Regarding batteries I liked your idea to buy AAA "Chocolat" and start using them a bunch. I just don't understand why you don't want to relay solely on AAA. With a couple of exceptions, all other appliances run on AAA. Obviously I have bought 4 AA for a torch and the camera I might following the lead and get some AAA "Chocolat".

Finally a question to all - where do you store / keep your flashlights around your house? I have a big maglite next to my bed, a six led energizer (very nice) at the electric distribution box, one on the keys of the secondary residence (a promotional gift from enegizer) and two more on an open container that I keep various stuff.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:09 am

Rwy

Re "It just sicks me to have to pay 2 € for what you pay 0.8 €"

Are you buying from a shop ? If I bought from a shop, I would be paying between 3 and 6 Euros.

For things like this, I just buy from ebay direct from China, free postage. I am sure you can do
the same, just takes 10 minutes to search them out.

Re "I just don't understand why you don't want to relay solely on AAA."

Here are the things that I use that use AA
- 2 Cameras (4 each),
- 1 Wolf Eyes Torch (2),
- 1 GPS (2) (not that I use it much as I still use a compass but it's there),
- 2 Small Sensor Lights (2 each) at front door,
- 3 Clocks (1 each),
And probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment.
So it pay for my hunting torch to be AA. I also take my 1+12 head torch which is AAA
but that is about it.

The other reason is something specific to me in Aus, in remote Aus, you can always find AA,
virtually everyone has them, both shops and people. Not so with AAA.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:00 am

Here in Scotland we don't have all the threats that nature can throw at you guys - although out on the heather moors you can get a nasty nip from roaming haggis :D . It's not cheap but I bought a reasonably sized Lenser LED9405R P5R.2 Pro Torch (117mm x 26 mm) from the River People, £62 at the moment - I paid £78 last year :(( . It only weighs 77gm.

It has a single Cree LED with 270 Lumen and a beam distance of 240 metres. Also has a flood setting which I find very useful when night walking with the dog. A charged AA Li-on 3.7v battery they say lasts for 12 hours although I can't confirm that. Charging is by mains or USB - just put the magnetic unit on the torch base. Best torch I've ever owned.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:Here in Scotland we don't have all the threats that nature can throw at you guys - although out on the heather moors you can get a nasty nip from roaming haggis :D .

You don't have natural threats like we do but you have something far worse - Glaswegians :D

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:08 pm

I think the best protection there is liquid fire offered them some more beer and/or whiskey (I hope it is spelt correctly).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Head torches - only way to go. Both hands free and the light exactly where you are looking.
Used a giveaway one from a local garage for an entire 7 months at sea, zero problems (had an expensive one as back-up). Settings were 1 white LED, 3 white LED, 2 red LED.
Only problem was the elastic in the band has gone after 6 years - now winter use only as it still fits over a toque.
Use best batteries though - Duracells for me.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 pm

500N wrote:You don't have natural threats like we do but you have something far worse - Glaswegians :D

Now I'm going to have to make sure Mrs C16 doesn't see the above!! I'm from south of the border but she hails from Glasgow! :)
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
500N wrote:You don't have natural threats like we do but you have something far worse - Glaswegians :D

Now I'm going to have to make sure Mrs C16 doesn't see the above!! I'm from south of the border but she hails from Glasgow! :)

Glasgow, closer to England that the north of Scotland so might as well call them Northern Englishmen ;) :D

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 am

I have a thing called a Led lenser V2.
Uses only a single LED.
Astonishingly good, and batts last forever. I once stuck it in my flight bag and left it on. Next flight, it was still going!
Very small and light. Waterproof. Takes 3 AAA batts. Very well made.

Just, NEVER shine it in your own eyes.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by 500N » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 am

Light output and type of output - "cool" or "warm" in colour and spot or a more broad illumination ?

I have one more LED to put up that I purchased but was doing a quick comparison of the three of them
on one of my white walls.

Re the colour of light, I personally prefer a cool pure white colour of light, I find it better for my eyes
and provides more contrast. IMHO, That is why in the most part I find LED's better than the old Halogens.

I did a quick test of the 3 lights and two give a broad area light with a bright spot in the middle
where as one of them gives a totally broad light that illuminates the whole wall and room and
actually makes it very easy to see everything.

I find sometimes that walking with a really bright spot means you need to move the light to see
things earlier as nothing except in the spot is clear.

Just a thought.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:23 am

I always go for the cool pure white both for the LED bulbs and the flash light - although I did not know you can get warm light in a flash light. The blind spot on the center, I only noted on the big Maglite I have - actually my father pointed out. That said I have not make the correlation between the light distribution and easy to see so I am expecting to see next time I really use the torch on a dark area.

I am still in doubt about whether the water-resistance is necessary since I have never dropped the torch in any depth of water.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#39 Post by 19downbubble » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 am

I have a slightly warm LED for night hiking: it's advertised as penetrating mist, but whether that's fact or fantasy it's a much more pleasant light to throw out there.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 500N » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 am

19downbubble wrote:I have a slightly warm LED for night hiking: it's advertised as penetrating mist, but whether that's fact or fantasy it's a much more pleasant light to throw out there.

I think that's to do with a cool white light gives a lot of reflection back off the mist
where as a warm light tends not to give that blinding reflection.

Weren't Fog Light on cars Yellow for years ? (in the UK ?)