If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Batteries and flash lights

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Batteries and flash lights

#41 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 am

500N wrote:
CharlieOneSix wrote:Here in Scotland we don't have all the threats that nature can throw at you guys - although out on the heather moors you can get a nasty nip from roaming haggis :D .

You don't have natural threats like we do but you have something far worse - Glaswegians :D

It seems the wonderful BBC disagrees with both of you

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 am

500N wrote:
Weren't Fog Light on cars Yellow for years ? (in the UK ?)

Fog lights where standard on all French car for years (even those exported)

Keef

#43 Post by Keef » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:41 am

They were - "cadmium yellow". All headlights were that colour in ffrance until recently.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by 500N » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:Here in Scotland we don't have all the threats that nature can throw at you guys - although out on the heather moors you can get a nasty nip from roaming haggis :D . It's not cheap but I bought a reasonably sized Lenser LED9405R P5R.2 Pro Torch (117mm x 26 mm) from the River People, £62 at the moment - I paid £78 last year :(( . It only weighs 77gm.

It has a single Cree LED with 270 Lumen and a beam distance of 240 metres. Also has a flood setting which I find very useful when night walking with the dog. A charged AA Li-on 3.7v battery they say lasts for 12 hours although I can't confirm that. Charging is by mains or USB - just put the magnetic unit on the torch base. Best torch I've ever owned.

Most of the LED Lenser torches are excellent. They had a good jump on a lot of makers but
quite a few have caught up.

Re how long a battery lasts, I have found the only way is to test it in your torch.
Other people's tests are good references, in some cases very good as some very talented
people out there but for my emergency torch(es), I need to know how long they will last.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:23 am

500N wrote:
Re how long a battery lasts, I have found the only way is to test it in your torch.
Other people's tests are good references, in some cases very good as some very talented
people out there but for my emergency torch(es), I need to know how long they will last.

May I point out that the test does not correspond to the real thing because for example you don't start from the same level of charging. Or do you get just a general idea of the combination of the batteries with that torch?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by 500N » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:30 am

For me, just a general idea "of the combination of the batteries with that torch".

I know that the torch I tested with NORMAL Eneloops lasted more than 15 hours so it will obviously
last a couple of days continuously on the 3 LED part.

In addition, because I use NORMAL Eneloops, I know if I go to the Eneloop Pro or XX then that
gives me even more time. I haven't purchased Pro's as I am not a heavy user such as Cameras with Flash.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#47 Post by 19downbubble » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:44 am

If you're using these in emergency kit, be aware that the self-discharge rate of the Pros is higher than the standard Eneloops.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by 500N » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:51 am

Yes, a very good point to highlight. That was why I went normal.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:50 pm

I had a 2 million candlepower torch on the boat, for signalling of course. Absolutely no use for hitting anyone with.
The manufacturers were very keen to point out that you shouldn't shine it in anyone's eyes.
They are dirt-cheap these days.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Fox3,

What is the power source of your very strong device?

And a small update:
Last Friday, I ended up downtown in the area where all the stores for torches, work clothes and tools are located. I meant to buy a couple small 3AAA 9led that so well served for over two years. In first shop I entered those were not available but they offered me a single fairly strong led with a case powered by 3 AAA. I negotiated the price to 6,29 from 9.44 Australian dollars (4 € instead of 6 €)and I bought it since it seems solid enough. It even has a range or focus adjustment. Over the weekend I thought it was defective because sometimes the led was flashing but I went yesterday on the shop and they explained it is a feature activated if it is restart twice in few seconds. I have some pictures with and without the case (I can fit it while having the torch on my key rings) so it is protected from being scratched. I moved the Sony batteries eneloop type from the previous torch and I was all set. By the way FWIW the seller told me the same model is bought by army and police staff.
I have some pictures but I don't know how to upload it so if someone tells me how I would be happy to do so.
Just to be safe I stroll along the street, I bought one of those 500N show on the first page the very simple round 9 led just to be sure, for 1 €, I have used it in he past with good results and I feel I am all set.
I am still thinking about acquiring the 21 or 30 led torch with a magnet and a hook.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:55 pm

An effort to show the torch and my keys:

IMG_20150923_151434 resized.jpg

and the way it shows with the torch stored in its pouch

IMG_20150923_151527 resized 2.jpg

I hoped it would work when need and stay in the keyring a long time.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by 500N » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, had a good test the other night. Thunderstorm knocked out the lights in my local area.
Only knew as I was driving home and some of my suburb was in complete darkness.

Auto switch on 8 LED Light turned on at front door.
Step inside, grabbed the big emergency light on the filing cabinet by the study door
- nice to know it was there.
- grabbed the 20+3 LED and stuck it using the Magnet to the Range Hood, it lit up the whole room.

The best light of the lot was the 20+3 LED, small, easy to attach at an angle on the range hood
(3 Magnets on 3 different sides of the torch) and nice spread of White light.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:42 pm

500N,
I take you have eneloop batteries for all the torches operated on AA/AAA batteries? What's the point of the big emergency light (may sound a stupid question but I like to see the uses of going big)? Also how many 20+3 lights do you have one per room or just one for the living room? Wouldn't a torch on the keys given you are coming from a drive wouldn't be more useful?
What maintenance the auto switch light requires?

Plenty of questions but they can help us undetstand the use of lights.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:500N,
I take you have eneloop batteries for all the torches operated on AA/AAA batteries? .

Yes, Eneloops only for emergency torches.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Firstly, I made a mistake in my post, the good light I used in the end was a 24+3 led Torch that I just purchased.
It has magnets on 3 sides plus a hook AND a stand so makes it very versatile.
Cost about $5
See photo below.

(The 20/3 was the one which wasn't that ergonomic - but still a good light.)

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Auto switch light by front door.
Runs off 2 x AA batteries.
Cost about $5.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Wouldn't a torch on the keys given you are coming from a drive wouldn't be more useful?

I happen to have a big street light outside my house, tends to light up my driveway.
I do have a torch I carry in my man bag (that cheap round thing on previous page).

What's the point of the big emergency light (may sound a stupid question but I like to see the uses of going big)?

It just happens to be on the filing cabinet. It's too big for my "go bags" and since I own it,
might as well use it.

Also how many 20+3 lights do you have one per room or just one for the living room?

One in the car, one on the fridge and one with the "big emergency light" on the filing cabinet.
I might put one of them in the bedroom.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm

2x+3 thanks for posting the pic thus makes me know what to look for (magnets and handle, anything else?)

So big one not necessary although I am falling in love with the idea of wolf eyes and or led lenser or something similar from the previous page - something very strong but not in the near future.

Thanks for answering.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Rwy

The Magnets on these are "Rare Earth" type, so stick to anything really WELL.

Hook and Stands are good as it the Switch - far better than having to cycle through to get the light
you need like on some that are sold (see push button type, same light, different button).

All in all, 2 or 3 of these in the house IMHO virtually cover everything someone needs.

The other thing is, it is a nice WHITE Light. (The others can be a bit "yellow" which aren't as good for me).

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#60 Post by dubbleyew eight » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:33 am

this little light answered my needs in upgrading my hangar torches.

these are brand new on the market. single AA battery, cree super bright element and it floats. inch square and 4 inches long.