Message on memory card

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Message on memory card

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:52 pm

My sister told me that some people put a contact message on the memory card of their camera, in case it is lost and the person finding it wants to return it. So I would like to know if you do something similar and and if you do would you kindly share the message (sans your contact details obviously) since I like to have a message from a native speaker (thus in perfect language) or to include those from non english-speaking countries to have various ideas to make it more attractive. The camera is an Olympus x-43 with a higher value of use rather a monetary cost, but this is the subject of another thread so I am more interested to get the two memory cards back.

As usual many thanks for your ideas in advance.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: Message on memory card

#2 Post by Dushan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 pm

As people are most likely to look at the pictures first, rather than put the card into the computer and search it, I would type up a message on a piece of paper and take a picture of that.

As for the message itself probably just a name and phone number and email address. Those who are honest enough to return it will figure out that that means even if they don't understand the language.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks Dushan,

Finally one answer! Thanks for the idea. The only issue I see, besides finding a printer, is how to make this picture to be seen rapidly when one goes through the pictures. In other words if I put one today and tomorrow on a trip I make about 100 pictures, the message pic will be buried beneath those pictures.

Also thanks for the idea to simplify the message.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Postal Address as well.

I like the idea of taking a photo of your details, that is a very good idea.
As above, add the Postal Address as well.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by probes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 am

Why not just a sticker with your phone No etc on the camera? Assuming the memory card will be inside.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks 500N and probes, I will rewrite the message although I feel that few people will bother to go to the post office - and to be frank a camera can be lost just because a decent person finding will keep postponing going to the post office - you know the rule that simple jobs are postponed for tomorrow just because they are simple.

probes, The camera is very compact and practically has no room for sticking a sticker. It would require some work to stick it correctly.

Still I am not sure how can I keep the picture with the details high on the pile to be rapidly seen.

Thanks for your ideas.

henry crun

#7 Post by henry crun » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:36 am

Stick it to the sd card.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:21 am

Do not use anything that could give away your home address, on an item that could be lost or stolen while you are on holiday. It's a dead give-away that your house is empty at the time. In the same way hitting the 'home' button on my car's computer does NOT bring up the location of my home. And don't start me going about the idiots who use their own name and sometimes even their address on the iFruits (for some reason, all seem to be Americans in Pret-a-Manger doing this, and I see 'em all when I fire up my device.)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks for the reminder about omitting a home address. I have only included my mobile and my email. And I use close faced tags for the bags. Maybe I shall include a short note on the insidr pocket.

Keef

#10 Post by Keef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:50 pm

If you put a picture on the card with your contact details, look at the file format and give it a filename that will make it the first picture to appear. My camera calls them all by sequential numbers: I think it began with P000001.jpg (it's on some silly number now that implies I've taken far more pictures than I recall).

A file called "Address.jpg" ought to show first.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks a lot keef. This is precisely what I was looking for.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#12 Post by 19downbubble » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:47 am

Since it's an Olympus, it may have a small amount of internal photo storage memory, too. You may want to put your address image on that memory, also.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the idea. The point is that I can't access the camera - to be more precise when I connect it to my lap top the camera is not shown as an external disc. So I remove the memory card and place it on the card reader. I am not sure if I have to download a driver or remove the card and make a picture as to "oblige" the camera to use this memory.

By the way I love your location. My ask why did you choose it?

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by 19downbubble » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:27 am

Perhaps you can try settings 1 > USB connection > change the setting from "storage" to MTP.

Location: for the warmth and light, mainly. There's always the metalimnion if I feel like hiding awhile.