Pamper your tools..

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Pamper your tools..

#1 Post by John Hill » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 am

Easily make cosy storage for your delicate tools and instruments... :YMHUG:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4770.0
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Pamper your tools..

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:36 am

Excuse me John but I think you're asking for trouble with a title like that. :)
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by probes » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:25 am

But the idea is absolutely awesome! :)
Looks good, too.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by om15 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:57 am

John, that is very good, there is a very practical side to this, those that use personnel tools for use on aircraft work often have a jumble of items in a rollcab, thus making tool control very difficult, on completion of work each day all tools must be accounted for under the fod requirements.
This would make the checking of tools very easy, it is possible to buy ready made tool boxes (redbox) with cut outs pre formed, but at £1400 is rather pricy, thank you for this link.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Alisoncc wrote:Excuse me John but I think you're asking for trouble with a title like that. :)

Alison, my word. Get your mind out of the gutter. :D (Looking at the thread title at first glance I thought the same!)
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Good Lord Alison you have lived amongst the Aussies for too long girl :-o

I have to have every work tool in it's right place in the workshop and put it back in place when I have finished with it otherwise it gets lost. I have just about got the staff trained in this when they use things.

Our house keeper is actually a trained plumber which is useful. I was doing a plumbing job with her the other day but she is now in trouble for putting my tool back in the wrong place.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:Good Lord Alison you have lived amongst the Aussies for too long girl :-o

I have to have every work tool in it's right place in the workshop and put it back in place when I have finished with it otherwise it gets lost. I have just about got the staff trained in this when they use things.

Our house keeper is actually a trained plumber which is useful. I was doing a plumbing job with her the other day but she is now in trouble for putting my tool back in the wrong place.

Might want to re-phrase that. Otherwise it could get you in trouble. :D :ymdevil:
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by John Hill » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Alisoncc wrote:Excuse me John but I think you're asking for trouble with a title like that. :)

Good point, how fortunate then the use of the plural in the title.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by John Hill » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:50 pm

om15 wrote:John, that is very good, there is a very practical side to this, those that use personnel tools for use on aircraft work often have a jumble of items in a rollcab, thus making tool control very difficult, on completion of work each day all tools must be accounted for under the fod requirements.
This would make the checking of tools very easy, it is possible to buy ready made tool boxes (redbox) with cut outs pre formed, but at £1400 is rather pricy, thank you for this link.

Please send me £1400 minus the whatever you have to pay for a can of foam.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by om15 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:39 pm

The price does include the tools.

mechanics-services-kit.jpg

admin
Chief Engineer

#11 Post by admin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Having spent a lifetime of "pampering" my collection of bright shiny smooth aeroplane-size Snap-On spanners and sockets, etc. I now find them all redundant as they don't seem to fit anything anymore. Well not anything I now need said implements for. Everything's gone metric.

Back in the 1960's must have spent a small fortune on the very best - Snap-On and similar manufacturers tools. Spline, Bristol and Allen keys of inumerable sizes and lengths, with long handles and ratchet handles. Essential for stripping radars and the like. Haven't needed to take apart a radar antenna in decades.

So what does one do with a toolbox overloaded with unused and unusable implements of beauty. Is there a spanner and socket heaven where they can be consigned to?

henry crun

#12 Post by henry crun » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Rover car tool kit

We had a similar arrangement in the tool drawer on our 1938 Rover 12, which was foam filled to house the tools in the manufacturer-supplied tool kit. The photo shows similar on the post-war P4 series.

Nice way to make ones own, John, though my tool kit is ever changing as I acquire and discard tools to match my current activities. I tend to store mine in plastic crates which fit in my kitchen cupboards, and have to purge the collection at frequent intervals. One advantage of having a little spare cash is being able to discard unwanted stock safe in the knowledge that it can be re-purchased if needed again.

Dunno why the perennial sillies chose to sabotage a perfectly good thread with inappropriate comments. I thought admin in particular was going to confine her raunchy behaviour to Jet Blast. I suspect folk are coming in via the thrice accursed 'New posts' button without checking where they are before posting.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:03 am

admin wrote:So what does one do with a toolbox overloaded with unused and unusable implements of beauty. Is there a spanner and socket heaven where they can be consigned to?

It just so happens that I am trying to get a few exhibits for our aviation museum. We already have plenty of flying machines, three dozen or more, and we have linear metres of bookshelves supporting pilots log books and aircraft technical books but we have almost nothing of the myriad ground and air trades that were, and still are, an essential part of the aviation industry.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by probes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:27 am

admin wrote:So what does one do with a toolbox overloaded with unused and unusable implements of beauty.

keeps them for a couple of decades more, until they are of interest again! If not for a museum, then for the young 'uns - I've found some my Father used to use extremely fascinating.

"Dunno why the perennial sillies chose to sabotage a perfectly good thread with inappropriate comments." - Henry, if you want a text your way, write a book (and no editor, for God's sake!!) In a forum - just relax. Some people get a laugh (I did) and enjoy the serious content even more.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by om15 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:37 am

So what does one do with a toolbox overloaded with unused and unusable implements of beauty.

Keep them for ever. My tool box has many special tools manufactured for particular tasks on engines and aircraft long since gone, lightly oiled and kept in dark places.
I have Whitworth Blue Point ring spanners c1942 that were part of the Merlin lend lease programme, I used them for many years on RR Darts, now a new lease (forgive pun) of life on my BSA motorbike.
My original trade was an airframe fitter, I have a collection of hardened polished riveting blocks kept in special boxes to avoid damage to the surface finish, I now spend my life squinting at lap tops, but with retirement approaching it might be good to spend more time on hands on engineering.

admin
Chief Engineer

#16 Post by admin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:18 am

Got lots of funny things in my box. When Panduit first invented/marketed nylon straps for aircraft electrical looms we were all given a special tool for tightening them - in 1965?? It would pull them tight and then clip the end off.

panduit1.jpg

Also have a very long - 10" needle used for repairing aeroplanes with fabric skins. Don't use that often.

Alison

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:21 am

We have a Proctor in the queue for restoration and I know there is quite a kit in store for doing the fabric work.

Joy ride
FO
FO

#18 Post by Joy ride » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Great idea, the use of cling film etc makes it even more versatile so I might make some of these for microphones and other items .

henry crun

#19 Post by henry crun » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:56 am

Henry's contribution to the great museums of the world is to discard anything and everything that has not been used in the past twelve months. This assures the resale value and collectability of those few items retained and stored by other folk.

He is not alone in this, the former congressman Dick Cheney sent down an edict that the armed forces were to discard all equipment that had not been used for twelve months. The USAF happily sent all their unused spare aircraft engines to the scrap dealers, who made a large mark-up selling the engines back to the USAF when Cheney's error was redressed. Source: internal industry gossip.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Hydromet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:19 am

This is the tray for a stationery box that I made, with inserts for the pens and accessories using this method. The suede leather is soaked in water and pressed roughly into shape on a mould, then the foam is introduced, plus a quick spray of water, and the mould closed.
The pressure of the foam forces the leather onto the mould. After release, the insert is cut to thickness using an electric breadknife.
Attachments
SB4.jpg
SB4.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
exp foam.jpg
exp foam.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Pen mould.jpg
Pen mould.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 1756 times