If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Quadcopter, drones, camera

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Quadcopter, drones, camera

#1 Post by unifoxos » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Has anybody any experience of these at the cheap end of the spectrum, say GBP 50 - 100? I have just put the roof timbers on the retirement bungalow and I'd like to take some aerial shots now it's starting to look meaningful, but I don't want to spend a lot.

Bare minimum would be a video camera - time lapse stills would be nice but not vital as I believe it is possible to hold a drone steady enough to extract a still from the movie. Ideally at least 10 mins flight time, and a swappable battery to extend the flight time on site. I don't particularly want or need FPV (the ability to see what is being filmed in real time), or any of the other fancy features - zoom, pan tilt, aerobatics etc.

Or a 20 foot long selfie stick, maybe?

Thanks in advance
UFO
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Quadcopter, drones, camera

#2 Post by Boac » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I think it will cost you more than £100 by the time you have the camera fitted and a link so you can see where it is pointing. My No2 son does property photography (West Sussex) and uses a long pole for such work. Might be worth asking a few estate agents in your area who they use. There are also companies who offer drone photography.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:19 pm

I agree.

May I suggest doing a quick google and seeing if you can find a kid near you who has one
and slip him 50 quid to do it for you ?

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by unifoxos » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:45 pm

It won't be a one-off - I was proposing to take pics at various stages, hence the idea of having my own kit to use as required, rather than pay someone. BOAC - the long pole looks a good idea - I'll see if I can find one - I'd have to arrange a remote shutter connection to my camera but that's not insurmountable.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:42 pm

unifoxos wrote:.............. - the long pole looks a good idea - I'll see if I can find one - I'd have to arrange a remote shutter connection to my camera but that's not insurmountable.

Fishing poles!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by unifoxos » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:38 am

Maybe a bit too flexible and "whippy" to get a stable picture. I have an extending pole made out of quite thin ally, Pull in and out and twist to lock. It was originally meant to have a net on the end for collecting leaves and debris off a swimming pool, but I have been using it with the UFO Patented Never-drop-off hook on the end as a clothes line prop. Something similar but about twice as long would be ideal. Or maybe a tethered balloon?

BTW - how do you get quotes embedded like yours, 4ma?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 am

I've flown RC stuff for years.....for christmas I received a cheap ($60 AUD) drone with camera included (Google 'SYMA X5C').....I'm a fixed wing kinda guy..... but I've found it to be a whole lot of fun.... :))
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:37 am

unifoxos wrote:BTW - how do you get quotes embedded like yours, 4ma?

Highlight text to quote
Open "full Editor and Preview" reply/post window
Click on 4th icon from left (vertical blue bar with " " around)
Enter chosen text
Click to right of first "Quote"
Type ="Boac" (or whatever)
Preview
Submit

Alison - Happy new year 'down-under' - if you are reading perhaps this could be added to FAQs to avoid folk quoting the whole post as some do?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:04 pm

unifoxos wrote:.........BTW - how do you get quotes embedded like yours, 4ma?

Apologies for the tardy reply.....this is not a thread I visit regularly. As Boac has already explained, or alternatively click on the inverted comma icon in the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote and the 'Post a reply' page will appear with the original post all ready for you to add your bit.
It's always my fault - SWMBO