Thomas Cook in serious trouble

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Thomas Cook in serious trouble

#81 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Seems T C was the sole vendor of holidays in Tunisia. That's Tunisia stuffed.
There is a resort island in Northern Greece. Only TC does package holidays and UK flights there. They're stuffed too.
Good point but so far fortunately there is not such an island in Greece so far but the impact is high in several islands.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 am

Yes, they had a Greek hotelier who said 5,000 hotels were affected. The island mentioned was in the same news slice. It might have been served by TC airlines from East Midlands as it was mentioned other carriers might pick up the 5 flights per week but not from EMA.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:35 am

Incidentally, we had a TC charter by P&O for our Caribbean flights around 2005. On one my seat reclined and the pax behind complained. The FA told me to put the seat up. I told her it was broken, leaned back and it declined. Threatened me for refusing to sit up and would not accept it was broken.

We always insisted on Thomson after that.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:14 am

At last, someone has made the move! https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... homas-cook

From the crews' p.o.v., though, I would like to know who is going to pay me to fly. :-o

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#85 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 am

Regarding Greek islands there is this airport; ATH and ships. Most islands with an airport are spoiled. Tourist numbers exceed resident numbers. The whole ethos of the island is destroyed. For the best traditional islands, fly and sail. There are some exceptions but not many.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by Woody » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#87 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 am

It is all rather sad and I walked past a TC retail shop, all boarded up, in London last week and that brought home to me the enormity of the situation and the pain it will cause not just to the TC employees but as Woody's BBC article points out, further down the line too. However to say the 'rooms are waiting but people can't get to Spain' is nonsense. Are we going to see Spanish hoteliers playing the victim, or are they going to get off their arses, stop watching bulls being tortured on TV, and go out and actively solicit new business?

Greed and ignorance are what have created this situation. The level of staff competence and training in the TC retail shops was pretty dismal and they had failed to move with the times. I hope the new owners, Hays Travel, will set this right, because there is a future for High Street Travel agents but they need to pull themselves into the 21st. century and meet the challenges of the times and not rely on their reputation from the old days.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 am

Reading the BBC article instantly made me think of "putting all your eggs into one basket " syndrome. Sad, but maybe bad business decisions biting back?
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by OFSO » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 pm

TV3 news reports "more than" 500 hotels in Spain relying completely or mostly on Thomas Cook for guests are facing bankruptcy. Spanish government announced a multi-million euro plan to help staff who have worked at affected hotels (more than a certain period of time.) Plan is unrelated to the Spanish General Election to be held in November.