The airship cometh again...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The airship cometh again...

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am

TGG, I know that solar powered flight has been proven, but I wonder about the weight issue. Clearly, so far, they have gained enough energy to have sufficient power to lift a light payload. I suppose with gas providing the lift the engines only have to supply sufficient power to overcome drag.

Navigation will take on a whole new dimension, calculating the best circuit to take advantage of diurnal winds.

What about strong winds, I don't know much about that. Storms can arise from nowhere.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am
TGG, I know that solar powered flight has been proven, but I wonder about the weight issue. Clearly, so far, they have gained enough energy to have sufficient power to lift a light payload. I suppose with gas providing the lift the engines only have to supply sufficient power to overcome drag.

Navigation will take on a whole new dimension, calculating the best circuit to take advantage of diurnal winds.

What about strong winds, I don't know much about that. Storms can arise from nowhere.
Clearly the Achilles Heel in airship travel vide Airlander's rather dismal flight record even in good weather with relatively strong breezes..

Airlander 10 retired

I would think that an African tropical thunderstorm would be a terrifying place to be in an airship. I can vouch for same as pilot, of a light aircraft, who inadvertently penetrated a front with big embedded Cb's! 180 turn and new underpants required almost immediately.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu May 27, 2021 5:57 pm

It's Baaaaaaaaack! :-o

Airship to offer low-carbon flights with floor-to-ceiling windows

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hybr ... index.html

(CNN) — Growing awareness of the climate crisis means conscientious travelers are increasingly looking for alternatives to trips by airplane.
For many, that means traveling by high-speed train, but on Wednesday UK-based company Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV) released the latest details of its airship, which boasts a far smaller carbon footprint than a conventional passenger plane.
The Airlander 10 aircraft will seat up to 100 passengers and operate with 90% fewer emissions than conventional aircraft, the company said in a press release.
The airship requires less fuel than a conventional aircraft due to a combination of "buoyant lift from helium, aerodynamic lift, and vectored thrust," according to HAV.
A hybrid electric and jet fuel model will be available by 2025, and a fully electric version by 2030, according to the press release.
The Airlander 10 aircraft will operate with 90% fewer emissions than conventional aircraft, say its developers.
The Airlander 10 aircraft will operate with 90% fewer emissions than conventional aircraft, say its developers.
Hybrid Air Vehicles
HAV released a set of renderings of the cabin interior to show what it's going to feel like to fly on the Airlander 10, company chief executive officer Tom Grundy told CNN on Thursday.
"As you can see, that's a big, spacious, accessible cabin," said Grundy, who emphasized the floor-to-ceiling windows.
"It's low noise, low vibration, very little in the way of any turbulence effect that people worry about on other aeroplanes."
The airship boasts an unpressurized cabin, and is built to withstand high and low temperatures, strong winds and even lightning strikes, to the same regulatory standards as other passenger aircraft, says HAV.
Airlander journeys won't compete with long-haul flights or routes already well-served by high-speed rail connections, said Grundy, but will instead focus on pairing up cities a few hundred miles apart.
The airship is perfectly suited to inter-city journeys such as Seattle-Vancouver, says HAV.
The airship is perfectly suited to inter-city journeys such as Seattle-Vancouver, says HAV.
Hybrid Air Vehicles
Examples include Liverpool to Belfast, Seattle to Vancouver and Stockholm to Oslo, and Grundy also pointed out that the airship would be particularly useful in island nations such as Indonesia, or in remote areas of northern Canada.
The airship has a top speed of 130 kilometers per hour (about 81 miles an hour), and a trip from Liverpool to Belfast -- 271 kilometers (168 miles) -- would take five hours 20 minutes, according to HAV.
That's the end-to-end journey time -- factoring in check-in and travel to and from city centers -- which HAV compares to the four hours 24 minutes it estimates a traveler would spend setting out on a commercial airplane trip or nine hours 23 minutes on the existing ferry service.
Airlander has a significant advantage in this area because "we're not reliant on airport infrastructure, so we're able to take off and land from any reasonably flat surface," says Grundy. "That includes water."
The cabin designs are ready for production, says HAV.
The cabin designs are ready for production, says HAV.
Hybrid Air Vehicles
In terms of emissions, HAV used UK government figures to calculate that, for the Liverpool to Belfast journey, an Airlander would produce 4.75 kilograms of carbon dioxide, compared to 4.98 kilograms on the ferry and 67.75 kilograms on an airplane.
"Our question really is: How much longer are we going to think it's acceptable to get on these really fast aeroplanes to do really short sectors?" said Grundy.
Related content
Inside Airlander 10, the world's longest aircraft
In January 2019, a prototype version of the aircraft was retired from service after six test flights. The development process was hit by some high-profile setbacks -- including a crash landing on its second flight -- but HAV ultimately secured approval to work the UK's Civil Aviation Authority on a production version.
While the cabin design is still at the concept stage, HAV says it "has incorporated many considerations to ensure it is practical, feasible and ready for the transition into production."
The company plans to have three airships flying by 2023, with the first passengers welcomed on board in 2025 for luxury travel experiences, says Grundy.
Then HAV plans to enter talks with transport providers over its first point A to point B routes, on which pricing will be within the range of existing travel options, adds Grundy.
Related content
World's biggest aircraft, Airlander 10, moves toward commercial model
Mention airships and many will think of the famous Hindenberg disaster in 1937, when 36 people were killed in New Jersey when an airship went up in flames and crashed. However, that airship was filled with flammable hydrogen, while the Airliner 10 is filled with inert and non-flammable helium, according to the HAV website.
Arguably the best-known airships belong to tire company Goodyear, which have hovered over sporting events around the world for decades.
Other teams are also working on next-generation gas-filled dirigibles, such as the Phoenix, a 15-meter-long craft that could be used to provide WiFi coverage in remote areas.

PP

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 27, 2021 6:19 pm

Has that poxy thing ever completed a flight without crashing?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#45 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:19 pm
Has that poxy thing ever completed a flight without crashing?
It seems that the prototype only did 6 test flights and I am sure it crashed on 50%. One wonders what changes are going to be made to the production model, a rubber nose?

See post no. 22. If they ever manage to build one that doesn't crash I do not think that the way forward is an alternative to short conventional airline flights. It should be treated like a small cruise ship
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Undried Plum » Fri May 28, 2021 8:42 am

Or perhaps as a super heavy-lift under-slung load carrying helicopter with much greater range than any flingwing could ever have.

Either way, I hope that my aviation risk nameco has no exposure to insurance of the wretched thing.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#47 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 28, 2021 9:18 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:42 am
Or perhaps as a super heavy-lift under-slung load carrying helicopter with much greater range than any flingwing could ever have.

Either way, I hope that my aviation risk nameco has no exposure to insurance of the wretched thing.
Absolutely DP. This is something else it would be ideal for. We were thinking of massive generators or transformers to remote areas of the world where there is no decent road or airstrip. I was introduced to Roger Munk (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... r-munk-rip) by a mutual friend whom I had been talking to about what I should base my thesis on. He said I know Mr Airship. He was of considerable help to me. I would like to think I was a little help to him but I doubt it.

Another thing we were looking at was moving lumps of icebergs for drinking water in dry areas of the world. I was not convinced about this. Dry means hot which means not much ice delivered to destination.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by llondel » Fri May 28, 2021 11:24 pm

Undried Plum wrote:

Do you have any say in the sort of risks they cover? I would have thought that if it was your money, you could say "no airship insurance" and any profit or loss would then be in the pockets of others.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Undried Plum » Sat May 29, 2021 11:49 am

llondel wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:24 pm
Undried Plum wrote:

Do you have any say in the sort of risks they cover? I would have thought that if it was your money, you could say "no airship insurance" and any profit or loss would then be in the pockets of others.
No. A name or a nameco has a wide choice of syndicates to choose from and is aware of what sort sort of policies they write, but the decision to price and underwrite an individual risk is taken by the lead underwriter and the managing agent.

For an aircraft type with such a dreadful accident history, I expect that the premiums will be a very high percentage of the sum assured.

On the whole, I wish the firm all the best. It's good to see an all-British aircraft being built.