Weighing Pax

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Weighing Pax

#1 Post by ian16th » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:06 pm

What is wrong with this?

Years ago, about 1978, I was pax on a British Cal fright from Birmingham to Gatwick. After checking in my bag, I was asked to stand on the scale.

When all the passengers had been weighed we were allocated our seats.

There were 3 pax, the a/c was a Piper Chieftain o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Weighing Pax

#2 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Nothing. Standard practice from what I can tell up Northern Aus (and probably elsewhere they use small aircraft).

We were all weighed as was all our luggage. They did ask some people to move before take off as well.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Not that unusual Ian. Whether the freight gets loaded or it loads itself (SLF) either way it's freight, which has a weight component. Both all up weight and weight distribution are important concerns irrespective of aircraft size. Badly distributed weight does affect the CoG and thus aircraft's flight characteristics. Whilst all-up-weight affects the ability of an aircraft to get off the ground and how long it takes to accelerate to a speed where it can - length of take off run.

Flying charters in PNG, always supervised weighing and loading of freight. We had a set of Avery scales at every location, and it was always the pilots final responsibility to make sure the aircraft was within recognised constraints. Most of the native men weighed twice as much as their women. Having all the guys sitting together down the back where all the cargo was also stowed was often an issue in BN2A's. And with short muddy runways in the jungle, ability to get off the ground with a full load wasn't something to be treated lightly.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:02 am

What is wrong with this?

Doesn't show me. ( went swimming at that precise bit of Oahu beach in August ! )

Sisemen

#5 Post by Sisemen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:03 am

Once gave, as a raffle prize, a flight for the winner plus 2 others. Unfortunately the biggest woman in the organisation won the prize. She opted for her daughter (8 or 9) and her female friend (fortunately slim) to go with her. I then had the embarrassing task of asking for her weight so that I could determine whether the weight and balance were actually within limits and whether I could actually take her :-o I ended up putting her in the back diagonally opposite me with the kid sitting next to her and the slim attractive other woman in the front next to me :-bd We were slightly overweight but got away with it :-ss :D

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by unifoxos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:01 am

We had to be weighed for a flight in a small-ish a/c (EC135) for balance purposes. Thought nothing of it, wouldn't have dreamed of complaining about it. Bit surprised that they feel it necessary for a long range wide body, though.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:33 am

The other option (as done by some airlines) is to have different 'Standard Weights' for particular routes (where fat bastards often fly. :ymdevil: )

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 am

You have to pay for excess baggage weight why not make pax pay for exess
body weight? It is not that wide body jets don't have enough room for more bags but the weight affects fuel burn. So it is only fair that fat bastards should pay more.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:16 am

Agree with Ex-A wholeheartedly!

I think there should be economy seats cordoned off obese fat slobs so they can be all lumped together and revel in each others' lardness, and located where it assists in setting ideal CG positions.

Either that or throw 'em in the cargo holds where they belong, and NOTOC them off as Dangerous Goods (flammable).

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by unifoxos » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:23 am

So it is only fair that fat bastards should pay more.

But what if they travel without their 20kg or whatever baggage allowance? Can they then weigh 20kg more?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#11 Post by Capetonian » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:43 am

Some 'fat bastards' are fat as a result of a medical condition, in such cases is it fair to penalise them? I accept that it is not fair for the poor sod who has to sit next to a FB (usually me as I'm small) and have their space invaded, but it's a huge problem (pun intended) for airlines. When I was responsible for check-in, FBs always used to ask for emergency exit row seats so that they had more space, and of course they are precisely the people due to their lack of mobility who generally shouldn't be in exit rows.

If they sit in aisle seats they block half the aisle, if they sit in a middle seat it's awful for the person on either side, and if they sit in a window seat they're a nuisance to the adjacent passenger and a hazard to themselves in the (unlikely) event of an evacuation.

There probably is a very sound case for making anyone in economy class over 100kgs. pay extra for a larger seat, or a surcharge for a cabin upgrade, but it is an impractical solution, hard to enforce, and bound to lead to arguments and ultimately to law suits.

The only time I've found a good solution when I was in charge of check in was when a FFB was told he couldn't have an emergency exit seat, the check in clerk called me over to deal with the passenger who was being abusive, he called the check in girl an anorexic slut, and me a skinny little c***, so I denied him boarding. Problem solved, if only it were always that easy.

Slasher

#12 Post by Slasher » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:21 am

Good call! Well done Cape! :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:29 pm

Gosh, this old practice has been revived, if only for the purposes of "research"?!

Look forwards to the 'standard weights' being raised yet again when the bad news gets analysed and promulgated.

https://www.businessinsider.com/air-new ... &r=US&IR=T

Maybe if the fares were adjusted in line with one's personal gross avoirdupois, then the elephant in the room issue of hominids' obesity might be rapidly addressed as "money talks', always.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:36 pm

Great idea in theory however the results will be skewed because... :-?
Hint: It won't be the skinny or average weighted ones who opt out. [-X

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:13 pm

We faced that, sitting on row two this FMF appeared on the boarding ramp in a oversize wheel chair and made for our adjacent aisle seat. I glared.

The gentleman in the row behind was gracious and made room for the FMF.

Later, in-flight, she made for the toilet. I was amazed she got the door closed and even more amazed that she got out too. How she could reach all parts necessary to reach I know not.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by Rossian » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 pm

As the other previous drivers of small a/c have said it's comon practice and common sense. Loganair at Inverness always used to do it (maybe they still do with their slightly bigger current fleet)??

The Ancient Mariner

prospector
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by prospector » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:32 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/samoa-air ... d=18862095

""The Samoa Air homepage reads "We at Samoa Air are keeping airfares fair, by charging our passengers only for what they weigh. You are the master of your Air'fair', you decide how much (or little) your ticket will cost. No more exorbitant excess baggage fee's [sic], or being charged for baggage you may not carry. Your weight plus your baggage items, is what you pay for. Simple."

"Airplanes don't run on seats, they run on weight," Samoa Air's Chief Executive, Chris Langton, told Radio Australia.""

Apparently it turned out cheaper for a family if charged by weight, depending on the number of children, then the standard fare per Pax, not so for the average weighted Samoan male, or female. As the aircraft used was a BN2 Islander weight had to be accurately known.