BA in the Times

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BA in the Times

#101 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am

And L'Chaim to those who have been impacted by the egregious machinations of BA management and this ideologically perverse and morally bankrupt government in manipulating the current crisis for their own nefarious ends.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#102 Post by barkingmad » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:16 am

BA in very strange times?

But Wee Willie needed a few hundred thousands of customer dosh to fund his spending more time with his families, as he shuffled away yesterday, so this sort of thing is perfectly understandable;

British Airways passengers 'stunned' over cash refunds stand-off https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54059004

Interesting to note what any BA customer has been experiencing in the last few years that in these days of instant comms and data transfer it is increasingly difficult to get hold of anyone at the airline who might be competent in dealing with a possibly complex query which the website format fails to provide or to cope with.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:45 am

BM, the point is that there is no a "safety valve" in a site to "press here" when the issue can't be settled with the current design of the site.

My understanding is that airlines offer no incentive on accepting vouchers over cash-refunds. If in Summer 2021 is a normalish summer there is nothing obliging the airlines to honour the vouchers over new cash for the seats then available.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 am

........as he shuffled away yesterday,

Has he gone ? Missed that. I don't wish him well or a happy retirement. May his armpits be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:44 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by barkingmad » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:42 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55160584

Sad to see the fire sale is working far too well?!

I wonder where does the dosh accumulated from this exercise end up?

Probably nowhere near an ex-employees benevolent fund, if there is such a thing.
:ymsick:

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by barkingmad » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:19 am

F A O any BA pensioners here, currently in receipt of their pension, or indeed any current BA employees hoping to draw on the same fund if they live long enough and stay sane long enough to be paid their pittance.

The latest bumph from the BA pensions organisation contained the throwaway line that the management of the funds had been handed over to the company BlackRock for whatever reasons the administrators of the scheme had decided was for (whose?) benefit. :-o ^#(^

Here is the quote from the bulletin from which I gather we've been left at the mercy of a company whose reputation is not exactly enviable when it comes to their practices and connections over recent decades;

"Change of investment manager
In June last year, following an in-depth review of our investment management business, we announced the appointment of BlackRock as the new investment manager of the assets directly under management for NAPS and APS. The assets were previously managed by our in-house team at British Airways Pension Investment Management Ltd.
We’re pleased to report that the transition of staff and management of the Schemes’ assets ran smoothly. Our new partnership with BlackRock is working well, performing in line with our expectations and delivering value for the Schemes.
The change of investment manager did not alter members’ pensions or scheme benefits in any way."

I offer this little presentation as starter research for any pensioners here who are interested or concerned about this move;

Not that there is anything, which those of us who've survived the latest population reduction scheme, can do about it but I just thought (ex)BA folk here might want to think how it might affect us...

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Edited to add, this lass is easier on the eye than the players in the previous video and warms the cockles of an old man's heart in these grim days;

Enjoy and pour yourself a LARGE glass of electric soup* to ease the pain!

* electric soup = any alcoholic drink which will sedate and dull the senses.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:20 pm

Well big brother and the holding company aside, the BA Pension scheme was the ultimate black hole, although I understand the bitterness of those who lost out when the final salary scheme was shut down.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... -hole.html

I am underwhelmed by many aspects of BlackRock's investments mind you, China, Coal Mining etc. included!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by Woody » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:14 pm

Not from the Times, but BA metal operating from T2 LHR for the first time :-o

Can’t get the quote from internal source, but wet lease for Aer Lingus

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:49 pm

British Airways will allow male pilots and crew to wear make-up
‘Gender expression’ rules allow false eyelashes, nail varnish and carrying a handbag

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/all- ... -k9j5t8nr6

Male cabin crew at British Airways will be allowed to “wear a touch of mascara” and lipstick in a significant relaxation of its rules.

The flag-carrier airline wrote to all employees this week unveiling an updated uniform policy which encourages staff to “be bold, be proud, be yourself” at work.

Male crew and pilots will also be allowed to paint their nails and were told that false eyelashes can help add volume, although the airline is keen that crew do not go overboard.

Virgin Atlantic announced its gender neutral uniforms several weeks ago
Strict hairstyle rules have also been eased, with male staff permitted to have longer hair and wear it in a bun. All staff, regardless of gender or gender identity, can now carry a handbag.
Sorry. The rest is paywalled, but here is another take.

British Airways will let male staff wear makeup and piercings

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/brit ... index.html

(CNN) — British Airways is the latest airline to relax its rigid uniform rules in a bid to champion the individuality of its employees.
Following a recent update in the airline's uniform guidelines, pilots and cabin crew are now allowed to sport facial stubble, wear make-up, jewelry, and nail varnish of their choice -- regardless of their gender.
The carrier said it wanted workers to be the "most authentic version of themselves" in a bid to foster an "inclusive" environment.

"We are proud of all of our colleagues at British Airways and we are committed to an inclusive working environment," a British Airways spokesperson said in a statement to CNN on Friday.
"We have worked with our people to create updated guidelines for grooming, beauty and accessories, allowing our colleagues to bring the best, most authentic version of themselves to work every day."
According to the UK's Guardian newspaper, BA's latest memo urges staff to "be bold, be proud, be yourself."
The move comes after rival airline Virgin Atlantic scrapped its gendered uniform policy as part of a wider series of initiatives under its "Be Yourself" agenda.

Back in September, Virgin Atlantic said male cabin and crew could wear skirts and their female colleagues could wear trousers because it wanted staff to feel comfortable -- "no matter their gender, gender identity, or gender expression."
Other recent reforms by the airline include allowing staff to display their tattoos while in uniform and make-up becoming non-compulsory for female staff.

Woody:
Are you included in this inclusivity? :-?
If so, pics please.
:ymdevil:

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#111 Post by tango15 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:47 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:19 am
F A O any BA pensioners here, currently in receipt of their pension, or indeed any current BA employees hoping to draw on the same fund if they live long enough and stay sane long enough to be paid their pittance.

The latest bumph from the BA pensions organisation contained the throwaway line that the management of the funds had been handed over to the company BlackRock for whatever reasons the administrators of the scheme had decided was for (whose?) benefit. :-o ^#(^

Here is the quote from the bulletin from which I gather we've been left at the mercy of a company whose reputation is not exactly enviable when it comes to their practices and connections over recent decades;

"Change of investment manager
In June last year, following an in-depth review of our investment management business, we announced the appointment of BlackRock as the new investment manager of the assets directly under management for NAPS and APS. The assets were previously managed by our in-house team at British Airways Pension Investment Management Ltd.
We’re pleased to report that the transition of staff and management of the Schemes’ assets ran smoothly. Our new partnership with BlackRock is working well, performing in line with our expectations and delivering value for the Schemes.
The change of investment manager did not alter members’ pensions or scheme benefits in any way."

I offer this little presentation as starter research for any pensioners here who are interested or concerned about this move;

Not that there is anything, which those of us who've survived the latest population reduction scheme, can do about it but I just thought (ex)BA folk here might want to think how it might affect us...

Edited to add, this lass is easier on the eye than the players in the previous video and warms the cockles of an old man's heart in these grim days;

Enjoy and pour yourself a LARGE glass of electric soup* to ease the pain!

* electric soup = any alcoholic drink which will sedate and dull the senses.
My dear departed son worked for Blackrock for a while, but he didn't like the culture and moved on.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:08 pm

tango15 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:47 pm

My dear departed son worked for Blackrock for a while, but he didn't like the culture and moved on.
Indeed, and due to the form of circular ownership they have with many of their investments and investors, it will come unglued someday. Their focus and reliance in the pension sector on autonomous trading algorithms should worry us too.

You son clearly was perspicacious...

Blackrock were early investors in the FTX crypto exchange which has just gone down the gurgler!

https://newrepublic.com/article/158263/ ... nvestments
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by Woody » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:55 pm

I can categorically state that I’ll not be wearing makeup to work, unless you ask me nicely :D

On a more serious note, I’m in the process of moving my pension to a hopefully more stable account.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#114 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:10 pm

Woody wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:55 pm
I can categorically state that I’ll not be wearing makeup to work, unless you ask me nicely :D

On a more serious note, I’m in the process of moving my pension to a hopefully more stable account.
That's not what you told me about your nipple rings when I last spoke to you? =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:22 pm

On a more serious note, I’ve heard on the grapevine that BA and SAA are in talks to relaunch a BA franchise in ZA, which kind of fits as SAA are after new metal and presumably all the ex Comair 737’s are still in BA livery, could SAA become a OneWorld member.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:22 pm
On a more serious note, I’ve heard on the grapevine that BA and SAA are in talks to relaunch a BA franchise in ZA, which kind of fits as SAA are after new metal and presumably all the ex Comair 737’s are still in BA livery, could SAA become a OneWorld member.
Good news if this is true Woody. :-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#117 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Quote: "On more serious note, I’m in the process of moving my pension to a hopefully more stable account".

That's right, make hay while the sun shines.... Just don't get hoarse talking about it.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#118 Post by barkingmad » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:19 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 pm
Quote: "On more serious note, I’m in the process of moving my pension to a hopefully more stable account".

That's right, make hay while the sun shines.... Just don't get hoarse talking about it.

But we all know what hay becomes after thorough mastication and use, requiring lots of shovelling and cleaning down afterwards.

But maybe that’s what will happen when the new BA fund stable lads have extracted from the fund as much nutrition as they can at minimum cost? 8-|

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#119 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:02 pm

Possibly moving towards a new franchise agreement in ZA
British Airways has announced a codeshare partnership with privately owned South African airline Airlink.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday, the two airlines believe the agreement will improve connectivity between the UK, Europe, North America and more than 15 destinations in Southern Africa, including South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Namibia.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#120 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:15 pm

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/02/23/bri ... ity-stunt/

But then as we all nose, their pension fund is now under the command of Blackrock, so that's all right then... 8-|