BA in the Times

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: BA in the Times

#41 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:42 am

The HRHs are well and truly late. Just passing 10.000' on the approach to CPT. Dismal display by BA. They could easily have made that time up. Try making up 20 mins LHR to EDI.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:40 am

Arrived 37 minutes late, it was an aircraft change last night, I’ll try and find out why on my late shift :-w
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#43 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:13 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:40 am
Arrived 37 minutes late, it was an aircraft change last night, I’ll try and find out why on my late shift :-w
Sorry, my dear chap, have to disagree with you there they were about 45 mins late 'doors open'. Touch down doesn't apply. I know BA couldn't give a stuff it was just a schedule flight, which is fair enough. Why burn more fuel to get in on time for a NR divorced American actress who probably can't tell the time anyway, or know where she is. HRH PH was probably cool about it all anyway. Wonder if he managed to escape the wife and slip in a few G&Ts in the galley with the girls.

To make 'doors' we had to calculate taxiing and maneuvering times on the apron to the split second. Then we cheated a tad on the door. Would delay a few secs before opening it if necessary.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 am

Since I put a question in the Royal Flight thread, I would put another one here to Ex Ascot. How do you avoid a problem on start up to upset your schedule?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#45 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 am
Since I put a question in the Royal Flight thread, I would put another one here to Ex Ascot. How do you avoid a problem on start up to upset your schedule?

We had a standby aircraft and basic crew at BZN at our time of departure from LHR they would be right up to engine start check list. It didn't have the full Royal fit but would do the job. They would fly the jet over to LHR and we would carry on. Never needed it. I used to polish the spark plugs myself.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Yes, but that would not solve RiS's scenario?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#47 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm
Sorry not with you there. Sure, for a down the route problem we had a team of engineers on board and a hold full of spares. You guys did not have that luxury. Or cream in your coffee. =)) Joke, you are well above my pay grade mate.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm

If anyone would like to see an RAF Boy Entrants Association newsletter, that includes one persons memories of being part of the ground support party for a Royal Tour. In this case to S. America in 1968. PM me.

The document is a PDF of 650KB.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Sorry not with you there.
-Ris asked what if you went u/s on start-up.
You guys did not have that luxury.
- no, but I guess you didn't get hot and cold running babes.... :))

(..or if you did, you ain't telling....)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#50 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:37 pm
Sorry not with you there.
-Ris asked what if you went u/s on start-up.
You guys did not have that luxury.
- no, but I guess you didn't get hot and cold running babes.... :))

(..or if you did, you ain't telling....)
My dear chap, we had them on board. All part of the crew. Unfortunately courts martial bait. Mrs Ex-Ascot was once approached by a guy in an OM by a pilot in a red flying suit who said 'Hi, I am Red Four' She said, 'Didn't your mother give you a proper name'. =))

Her approach to me was you promised me trip to Washington DC. So I took her there. You couldn't offer that in your little dinky jet.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:03 pm

As an ex Red 4 I need more detail................ =))

It's a better chat-up line than 'I'm Red Too'

PS I've met some of your 'babes' [-X

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 pm

As an ex Red 4 I need more detail................ =))

It's a better chat-up line than 'I'm Red Too'

PS I've met some of your 'babes' [-X

What about RiS's question? I'd be interested. The thought of bundling HRH off and into a tatty spare................!!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm
Thanks for the point. Let's say you were flying a shortish flight and the aircraft in Heathrow had an issue. From the moment the FE declared an AOG the time to take off from BZN land taxy at LHR and then take off again it would make it impossible to reach Bonn or Amsterdam on time.

And I guess the catering on the back up aircraft would make the day of the crew.

My deepest respect for Mrs Ex-A response to Red.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#54 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Gosh lots of questions here. Boac it was not you involved, Mrs Ex-Ascot was after your time. Some of our girlies down the back were very attractive.

No tatty back up aircraft. It was prepared to almost the same standard fit. There was an inspection of both aircraft by myself and the Stn Cdr the day before departure. Royal compartment the same but the hangers on and press had to slum it a bit. Catering was swapped across at LHR. Yes of course RiS we couldn't do an aircraft switch and schedule arrival in Europe but it never happened in my time. When we had a bit of a problem picking up HRH The Princess Royal due to a little prang we got the lady into Germany only 30 minutes late and she picked up her programme.

Always back up crew and back up aircraft. Once had a phone call from Woody's Royal Terminal. Can't remember who it was waiting but there was no jet to pick her up. Her household had changed the booking so many times everyone had lost it. We scrambled a jet. Our ops got onto LHR and we were cleared direct Benson to finals LHR.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Can Mrs Ex-A recall the year? Would LOVE to look him up and remind him.... He certainly got the right response.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:57 pm
Gosh lots of questions here. Boac it was not you involved, Mrs Ex-Ascot was after your time. Some of our girlies down the back were very attractive.

No tatty back up aircraft. It was prepared to almost the same standard fit. There was an inspection of both aircraft by myself and the Stn Cdr the day before departure. Royal compartment the same but the hangers on and press had to slum it a bit. Catering was swapped across at LHR. Yes of course RiS we couldn't do an aircraft switch and schedule arrival in Europe but it never happened in my time. When we had a bit of a problem picking up HRH The Princess Royal due to a little prang we got the lady into Germany only 30 minutes late and she picked up her programme.

Always back up crew and back up aircraft. Once had a phone call from Woody's Royal Terminal. Can't remember who it was waiting but there was no jet to pick her up. Her household had changed the booking so many times everyone had lost it. We scrambled a jet. Our ops got onto LHR and we were cleared direct Benson to finals LHR.
Thanks for the answers on both threads.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Blokes like Boac should have had more and, chastised, their children more. Clearly a good pilot and bloody decent man.

How many of us can say that?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 pm

I say, steady on...

PS 2 is enough :))

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:09 am

Boac it was after the 1991 Mildenhall airshow at the post show bash at the officers club. The only pilots wearing flying suits were from the RAF, all the rest had changed into smart suits. :D
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 am

Ta - into the scrap books.

Red4 in '91 was Flt Lt A Smith. Left the team after the '92 season. Didn't know him.

One hopes he was just 'japing'..... at least a red face:))