Ryanair flight cancellations

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ryanair flight cancellations

#1 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 am

Is Ryanair the next company about to go splat?

From the Guardian today https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -long-haul
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Ryanair flight cancellations

#2 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 am

Ryanair going splat is as likely as Swissair going splat ............... oh ....... come to think of it ...........

Seriously, no chance, but this might result in some changes. As it's an airline I won't fly on, I'm not too concerned.

People will always fly with Ryanair because they appear to be cheap, and because they serve a number of unique routes. There are huge numbers of passengers whose only criterion for choosing an airline is that it's cheap, and in fairness, when nothing goes wrong on Ryanair, and you follow the Ts and Cs, you get a reliable basic service for a basic price. That's what most of their customers get most of the time, hence their success.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Ibbie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 am

This Ryanair problem is not new. I seem to recall a problem they had, though of a smaller proportion, a few years back. Then they did not have Norwegian about for their pilots to bail out to. It's said that 100/120 pilots have changed ship recently and why not? Better terms and conditions and same 738 to fly.
The other problem is the 900 hour limit that many pilots have hit and badly planned holiday leave.
The latter two problems were the cause of disruption, though not as great, to the flying program at Vueling last year at this time. There were cancelled flights and sub charters from several Eastern European carriers that got them through that hole and yes, like the British press and media are now doing with Ryanair, el prensa in Spain made hay on the troubles of Vueling last year.

People should not believe all they read and hear from newshounds. They are only interested in pedling papers and need to sauce their articles up, just as the newscasters want listeners and do exactly the same. They are all journos, remember that.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:46 pm

So what goes around, DOES come around.....

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 am

While I am apt to laugh at O'Leary and his 'thing' about pilots vide his comments about aerosexuals etc. in truth I think his performance is wearing a little thin and his words at the Ryanair AGM showed him up for what he really is, basically a vegetable selling, greedy, exploitative little Irish prick!

Funnily enough, Michael O’Leary did not preach a gospel of peace, love and goodwill to all pilots at Thursday’s annual meeting. Even by his standards the Ryanair chief executive’s belligerence was extraordinary.

Pilots do not have a difficult job, shareholders were told. Some are “precious about themselves” and “full of their own self-importance”. To manage Ryanair’s crisis over cancelled flights, O’Leary may force a few to re-arrange their own holidays. And, while he may have a few incentives in his back pocket, “if pilots misbehave, that will be the end of the goodies”.

O’Leary, one assumes, is confident the current storm will pass but you have to wonder whether his approach can possibly make long-term commercial sense. First, even if they enjoy a comfortable life, pilots are trained professionals in a regulated industry and probably don’t like being addressed as overprivileged schoolchildren. Second, the planes can’t take off without them. Third, even Willie Walsh, when he was in full cost-cutting mode at British Airways, knew better than to pick a fight with the pilots.

O’Leary, one senses, feels he will prevail because he isn’t dealing with a union. “I don’t even know how there would be industrial action in Ryanair,” he said at the meeting. Yet that analysis skirts around the fact that some of the pilots would like to unionise, as they do at most other European airlines. At the very least, they may see this crisis as a one-off opportunity to secure permanently higher pay and better conditions. They may also to want to escalate matters by attracting regulators and politicians to the drama.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/ni ... ith-pilots

I guess the little greengrocer tinker will reap as he will sow!

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am

Does Ryanair have a dress code for its on duty aircrew?

I know that if I was a shareholder, I would expect the CEO to wear a suit and tie at the AGM.
Michael_O_Leary.jpg
Michael_O_Leary.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 am

I know that if I was a shareholder, I would expect the CEO to wear a suit and tie at the AGM.

I wouldn't. He's a man who has the courage to stick to what he believes in. I may despise a lot of things about the way he treats people, but I respect him.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Ibbie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am

I know which of MOL and Willie Walsh I'd trust more and it ain't the latter.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

Exactly.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am

Just because MOL might be more insouciant than Walsh doesn't make him any better. I think MOL is better than Kim Jong-Il but it still doesn't make MOL a good guy! :)

Just because a bad thing is better than another bad thing doesn't make the former good.

At least Walsh is/was a pilot! ;)

I am sure O'Leary might be a good guy to go out with for a drink etc. but he is clever, unscrupulous, arrogant and exploitative and knows how to shaft people while making the mugs think that he is an honest and frank kind of bastard.

That said he clearly doesn't care a fig for other people's opinions and continues to make money for Ryanair so until it all goes tits up (smoking hole one day sadly) he will be inviolate at the top of the Ryanair tree.

Caco

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 am

In my opinion, MOL and Ryanair generally are bloody dreadful.
I've flown with them, two sectors only and it was a horrible, confrontational and thoroughly unpleasant experience.
I sincerely wish a pox on the whole operation and MOL in particular. I'll never fly with them again if I have a choice.

Flying with MOL/ FR is like getting the tinkers to tar your driveway. It's cheap, but there's always going to be compromises, and it's you who'll be making them.

I don't feel proud to be one of the many 'haters' of FR, but they started it. If they go down the ****, which I admit looks only slightly more likely due to recent events, I'll crack open the bubbly.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Looks like the non-UK based pilots are playing up now.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-pilo ... e-11268419

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

Seems that Ryanair is in trouble; they have just announced a profits warning.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-prof ... l-11514082

Oh dear,what a shame, never mind. :D

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 am

I would be very sorry to see Ryanair go bust, not that they will.

It would put a lot of people out of jobs and a fair number of people of the type with whom I do not wish to rub shoulders onto other airlines. It would allow the competition to increase fares.

On the positive side, it would reduce the massive over-tourism, mostly of the wrong sort of tourists, which is ruining, or has ruined, so many European cities.

Much as I agree with what others have said about FR and its 'boss' I won't be cracking open the bubbly if they go tits up.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am
I know which of MOL and Willie Walsh I'd trust more and it ain't the latter.
They’re both better than the Fat Spanish Waiter who fired our Hong Kong based CC last week with no warning X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Was that waiter or wanker?
Woody pls check your PMs.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Woody » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm
Was that waiter or wanker?
Your choice :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.