Exhausted’ pilots pen letter to employer about safety concerns

Happy SLF

Exhausted’ pilots pen letter to employer about safety concerns

#1 Post by Happy SLF » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:38 am

The letter, published in full by the South China Morning Post, reveals a number of captains at the Hong Kong-based carrier are deeply
concerned about several issues, including rostering practices, pilot experience levels and fatigue.

The letter, dated August 19, 2015 and addressed to Cathay Pacific’s director of flight operations, asks: “Is safety still our priority?”
The letter from the pilots begins: “We the undersigned are writing to you to express our utmost concern and alarm at the recent termination
of our Rostering Practices Agreement, specifically the potential change in crewing levels and how this may effect fatigue levels, and by extension,
flight safety”.
The pilots state that a fatigued crew, combined with declining experience levels, takes them a “step closer to disaster”. They continue to explain
how they’re particularly concerned about the crewing levels on Australian and European flights.
“We are concerned specifically about the reduction of manning of some European and Australian flights, particularly when your flight crew body is
already overworked and fatigued,” they say.
The Sunday Morning Post received a letter from a Cathay Pacific spokeswoman, who responded to the concerns raised by the pilots.
“We received a letter from a number of our Check and Training Captains in which they expressed some concerns,” it said.
“As part of our standard process we are looking at these concerns and engaging directly with the pilots.”
She said matters relating to safety received the airline’s utmost attention.
“The safety of passengers and crew is the number one priority of Cathay Pacific.
“We do have measures in place to manage any issues identified, such as fatigue.
“These include a Fatigue Risk Management System which works to minimise risk by using preventive measures.
“Further, pilot’s rosters are designed and monitored to ensure fatigue is minimised.”

Cathay Pacific has been contacted by news.com.au for further comment.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 3e92ba35db

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Exhausted’ pilots pen letter to employer about safety concerns

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 pm

I recall discussing this with a Cathay Training Captain 20 years ago.
He reckoned it would be about 20 years till this became serious at his airline, and 10 for most - spot on Sir! It was one of the things which put me off a career as an airline pilot.

I think I know at least 3 of the guys who signed that letter, and I can assure you things are already pretty bad if this has gone to print. One of them had such a cavalier attitude to safety that he kept passing me on my front line QFI checkrides (!), so it must be pretty scary if even he is complaining.

I suggest:
1) changing your moniker to "Brown Underwear SLF"
2) Building your own aeroplane and flying it yourself
3) Stick to boats.....................mind you, I could tell you a few tales there too...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:43 am

We have a whole bunch of wannabe airline bush pilots here. I just tell them what a sh1t job it is. I lasted 4 years. The fatigue made me seriously ill. Downsized, now sitting by the pool in the sun. OK lucky not to have children to support or an expensive wife like the first one!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:We have a whole bunch of wannabe airline bush pilots here. I just tell them what a sh1t job it is...

Good luck with that. I don't even bother any more. Apparently 'passion' overrides anything you may say that has any connection with reality.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:07 pm

ALC it is great flying bloody big aircraft around the world and strutting around airports with four gold rings on your uniform surrounded by a bunch of tasty little girlies (forget the woofers). But when you are so knackered you can't even think what you would like to do with the girlies it is time to get out.

I really should have got into a job like yours.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by A Lutra Continua » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 am

Beer taster?

You betcha...