Safety Survey

Capetonian

Safety Survey

#1 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 am

I find this type of survey quite disingenuous, at best. This one published today in the DT.

First of all it ranks in alphabetical order, which might mislead some people.

It mentions that Qantas 'has not had a fatality in the jet era'. The same applies to several other airlines such as Aer Lingus, who are not mentioned, and easyJet and Ryanair who operate a vastly greater number of flights than Qantas and (I am open to correction) have never had a FATAC. Since most incidents occur on, or shortly before or after, take off and landing, the statistics should be based on the number of incidents related to the number of flights.
The world's safest – and least safe – airlines

British Airways is rated as one of the world's safest airlines

British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are among the 20 safest airlines on Earth, according to an annual ranking of the world’s biggest carriers.

The website AirlineRatings.com assessed 409 major airlines before delivering its verdict, taking into account previous incidents, the average age of their fleets, and audits from governments and the aviation industry’s regulatory bodies.

For the last four years it has singled out Qantas as the world’s safest airline, ahead of a chasing pack of 19 rivals, but this year it listed the Australian flag carrier alongside the rest of the top 20.

BA and Virgin are the only UK airlines at the top table; others include Singapore Airlines, recently voted the world’s best long-haul airline by Telegraph Travel readers, Swiss, your favourite short-haul airline, as well as Air New Zealand, Emirates, Etihad, KLM and Lufthansa.
Singapore Airlines was ranked the best long-haul airline by Telegraph Travel readers

Just two US airlines were included in the top 20. Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian remain, but Delta and United, both of which appeared last year, have been dropped in favour of Emirates and Royal Jordanian.
The 20 safest airlines (in alphabetical order)

Air New Zealand
Alaska Airlines
All Nippon Airways
British Airways
Cathay Pacific Airways
Emirates
Etihad Airways
EVA Air
Finnair
Hawaiian Airlines
Japan Airlines
KLM
Lufthansa
Qantas
Royal Jordanian Airlines
Scandinavian Airline System
Singapore Airlines
Swiss
Virgin Atlantic
Virgin Australia

“Our top 20 safest airlines are always at the forefront of safety innovation, operational excellence and the launching of new more advanced aircraft like the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787,” said Geoffrey Thomas, AirlineRatings.com’s editor-in-chief.

“Qantas has been the lead airline in virtually every major operational safety advancement over the past 60 years and has not had a fatality in the jet era. But Qantas is not alone. Long established airlines such as Hawaiian and Finnair also have perfect records in the jet era.”
Qantas has not had a fatality in the jet era

The website also identified what it claims are the 10 safest low-cost airlines. Aer Lingus, Flybe and Thomas Cook made the cut, but there was no room for the likes of Ryanair and easyJet.

“Unlike a number of low cost carriers, these airlines have all passed the stringent International Air Transport Association Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and have excellent safety records,” Thomas explained.

AirlineRatings.com isn't the only organisation to rate carriers according to safety. Germany's Jet Airliner Crash Data Evaluation Centre (JACDEC) does likewise, and it is Emirates that currently takes the crown, ahead of Norwegian, Virgin Atlantic, KLM and EasyJet. Neither British Airways nor Ryanair feature in the top 20.
Which are the world’s least safe airlines?

AirlineRatings.com also announced its lowest ranked airlines for 2018. Air Koryo, North Korea’s flag carrier, Bluewing Airlines, based in Suriname, Indonesia’s Trigana Air Service, and four Nepalese carriers – Buddha Air, Nepal Airlines, Tara Air, and Yeti Airlines – were all awarded just a single star.

There are currently more than 100 airlines – most of which you probably haven't heard of – banned from EU airspace, or facing operational restrictions, as they don't meet European safety standards. They include every airline from Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Mozambique, Sierra Leone and Sudan, as well as dozens from Indonesia.
The airlines banned from flighting to the EU

Blue Wing Airlines, Suriname
Iran Aseman Airlines, Iran
Iraqi Airways, Iraq
Med-View Airline, Nigeria
Air Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe
Avior Airlines, Venezuela

Nations whose airlines are banned from flying to EU

Afghanistan
Angola (except TAAG Angola Airlines)
Democratic Republic of Congo
Djibouti
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Gabon (except Afrijet and SN2AG)
Kyrgyzstan
Liberia
Libya
Nepal
Republic of Congo
São Tomé and Príncipe
Sierra Leone
Sudan

But fear not, flying has never been safer

According to the Aviation Safety Network (ASN), which records all air crashes and incidents reported around the world, there were just 10 fatal accidents involving commercial flights last year, resulting in 44 deaths. This is down from 16 fatal accidents and 302 deaths in 2016.

Furthermore, none of 2017's fatalities involved a commercial passenger jet. Given that around 36.8 million passenger flights took to the sky last year, that works out at just one fatal accident for every 7.36 million departures.

The last fatal accident aboard a commercial passenger jet happened on April 17, 2018, when an engine of a Southwest aircraft suffered catastrophic failure shortly before reaching cruising altitude. Debris from the engine breached one of the windows resulting in the cabin experiencing rapid decompression. Of the 148 passengers and crew on board, one died.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Safety Survey

#2 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 am

This sort of survey doesn't serve any purpose other than putting people off flying on certain airlines. Or continuing to fly on others.

Flight safety is not as simple as which airline has failed to kill anyone or crash recently. There are so many variable factors involved ranging from maintainance, crew competence, airport services, weather, even luck.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:43 am

Hasn't it been said that the safest airline on which to fly is one that has just had a FATAC as, statistically, they are unlikely to have another . . . ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:46 am

An top aviation insurance broker told me that KLM had gone to their broker in 1976 to seek a reduction on the next year's premiums due to an impressive safety recrd. The broker declined...............

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by boing » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Obviously somebody had some column space to fill so they made up yet another impressive sounding but useless airline survey.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:42 pm

I'll remember that next time I go "flighting".

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:30 am

........statistically, they are unlikely to have another . . . ?
Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Long before 911, or even basic X-Ray arches, I recall a Captain telling me that the best way to ensure that you aren't going to be killed because some idiot takes a bomb on board, is to always carry your own bomb on board ... because ... there is no record of any disaster been caused by having two bombs on board. The TSA have prevented that safety gambit now.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

Never mind the statistics, look at the chicken entrails and then bring your lucky heather and never fly in an aircraft flown by a Captain with a metal petal horseshoe, because, as we all know, a crucifix is so much more efficacious in these matters! =))

Caco

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:28 pm

So , if you are not banned from flying TO the EU but are banned flying FROM the EU, where do they park all these grounded flights?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Time to roll out an old joke again?

Have you seen that the Pope always kisses the grouns when he arrives in a country?

So would you if you flew with Alitalia!
Cynicism improves with age

reddo
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by reddo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:49 pm

A You Tube video kicked TAP (Air Portugal)'s arse so hard they really lifted their game. It was a shocker. Must have been an air show or something. The very early turn nearly dragged a wing into the trees. The pilot body got an absolute kicking after that. Their cabin crew remained slack and disinterested in safety and SOPs. Now with easyJet et al moving in, they are finally lifting their game. A bit late IMHO.
As for easyJet v Ryanair? Give me easyJet any day over Ryanair.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by Stoneboat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Give me easyJet any day over Ryanair.
You're just biased. :D

reddo
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by reddo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:32 am

Not at all. Do a search of all the events the two airlines have had, one has had a lot less than the other. The easyJet experience is a lot nicer than the Ryanair one - I have flown both. Most tellingly, our company will not book Ryanair unless there is absolutely no other option.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 am

I wouldn't put my mother-in-law's dog on Ryanair.

easyJet is an excellent airline whose customers and staff are treated with respect, and it shows. I fly them several times a month when I'm in Europe and with the possible exception of KL, LX, and EI, they beat most national carriers hands down on shorthaul routes.

I do however wish Ryanair continuing success, since it keeps 100 million people a year off the airlines I choose to fly on.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Just kiddin' Reddo, I couldn't find the 'wink' icon.

Slasher

#16 Post by Slasher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 am
I wouldn't put my mother-in-law's dog on Ryanair.
Fussy is he? Poodle?