Ryanair crew accommodation

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ryanair crew accommodation

#1 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 am

Image rumoured to be a Portuguese-based RY crew on a forced night stop in Malaga caused by the storms.
g9LPtF9D.jpg
g9LPtF9D.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Nice!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Ryanair crew accommodation

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 am

There'll be a €9 surcharge for that.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm

I was thinking it should be more, but looking more closely, they're only paying for the floor, not a carpet because it appears to be shiny. Otherwise it would be another €3.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Actually I have had another look - I reckon it was the Captain's room after a crew party.

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Far be it from me to defend Ryanair, but it is possible that all hotels were full and the crew decided to stretch out and sleep on the floor of an available office, although under the same circumstances I would have thought sleeping on the aircraft might have been a better option - if permitted.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 am

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm
Far be it from me to defend Ryanair, but it is possible that all hotels were full and the crew decided to stretch out and sleep on the floor of an available office, although under the same circumstances I would have thought sleeping on the aircraft might have been a better option - if permitted.
The rules probably allow them to sleep on a different aircraft but not the one on which they were, and will be, working.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 am

Why the crew is not allowed on the aircraft they were/will be working?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I think it's true of lorry drivers, they're supposed to spend some of their break time away from the vehicle. I was merely extrapolating that to aircrew. It was probably cheaper to sleep on the floor though.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:28 am

From the 'Irish Mirror':
"What appears to be CCTV footage shows cabin crew going to lie down, whilst a crew member takes a photo.

After the photo is taken, the cabin crew stand up and walk away.

The photo that had gone viral was originally posted on the Ryanair Must Change Facebook page.

Mr Atkinson had tweeted it later and said: “This is a Ryanair 737 crew based in Portugal, stranded in Malaga, Spain a couple of nights ago due to storms.

“They are sleeping on the floor of the Ryanair crew room. RYR is earning €1.25 billion this year but will not put stranded crews in a hotel for the night.”

Ryanair’s chief operations officer Peter Bellew responded, claiming that all hotel rooms in the city were booked out and the crew were moved to a VIP lounge.

He said: “Unfortunately all hotels were completely booked out in Malaga. The storm created huge damage in Portugal. Later after this the crew moved to VIP lounge.

“Apologies to the crew we could not find accommodation.”

When contacted by the Irish Mirror for comment earlier this week, Ryanair claimed the photo had been "staged".

In a statement, the airline said: "This picture is clearly staged and no crew 'slept on the floor'."

"Due to storms in Porto (13 Oct) a number of flights diverted to Malaga and as this was a Spanish national holiday, hotels were fully booked.

"The crew spent a short period of time in the crew room before being moved to a VIP lounge, and returned to Porto the next day (none of the crew operated flights)."

The Liverpool Echo has contacted SNPVAC union for a comment."

Link to video (about half-way down)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:13 am

Ryanair have been replying that the crew were given admittance to the 'VIP lounge', but it appears this only happened after 05:15. Not sure what time the crew were 'stranded'. Curiouser and curiouser!