...seconds before touching down

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
...seconds before touching down

#1 Post by probes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 am

"...the Qantas charter flight from Tonga [with the Prince and the Duchess of Sussex], a Boeing 737, pulled up from the runway at Sydney Airport just seconds before touching down.
Its pilot, Nigel Rosser, explained over the tannoy system that another plane on the runway had been 'slow to roll' and the two aircraft were too close. He explained the decision was made to 'abort the landing'."

Sry, DWail :-ss

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: ...seconds before touching down

#2 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:37 am

Meghan aborts!!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am

Guess he didn't make his doors time then. Probably didn't care. The ATCO should have given more separation for a Royal Flight.

Hardly ever heard of a civvi Royal Flight making a doors time. Then there was the famous occasion that Concorde overshot the red carpet and had to be pushed back. Bunch of amateurs. China graph mark on the DV window old boy. China graph mark on the DV window. Put it there when you depart, don't move your seat position and funny old thing the red carpet will be in the same relative position to your mark when you taxy in.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 am

Pity you can't go around or, even better, divert in pregnancy!

"No let's not go there, tis a silly place..!" =))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

They may try to shove it back in if it is black, which is a possibility. A black heir to the throne with ginger hair. =))
Attachments
oo er.jpg
oo er.jpg (13.41 KiB) Viewed 627 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Ex-Ascot, naughty naughty, even if my mother in law said it first.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:50 pm

They could always pull the warming-pan trick again.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am
China graph mark on the DV window.
Buggah! They didn't teach me that one on the JP at Linton.

'Line up the helmets' was as far as I got in air training. On the ground they provided an erk to wag his arms appropriately (plus a reminder that it was me, not he, who'd signed the 700!).

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Not gonna look good on a postage stamp, izzit.
Not quite German enough.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm

There was an article in the gutter press the other day with a picture of Harry and one of Phil the Greek at the same age, showing how 'alike' they looked.
Such is the power of auto-persuasion.

Back to topic, I'm surprised that there weren't 'hundreds of screaming passengers praying as the aircraft plunged uncontrollably towards the sky before it plummeted back to earth.'

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Harry's as Greek as Phil is.

So am I (no relation).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:27 am

China graph mark on the DV window old boy.
Was it Boeing or BOAC who put a mark on the side window pillar of every 707 and 747, such that if every pilot moved the seat back and forth, up and down, then every pilot's eye was at the same position and so see everything, in and out, at the optimum eye position as designed by Boeing ? Seemed a good idea at the time.

Taxying on to the stand into Bombay once, and asked the co-pilot if he could see the "stop" mark, as indicated on the aerodrome plate, i.e.where is it and what does it look like ? Christ ! we've just passed it - i.e. align a light through a slot in a box at 90 degrees to the fore and aft axis of the aircraft, and hidden by the co-pilot's noggin. Slammed on the brakes just in time to stop No. 3 engine impacting the loading bridge. First person on board, wearing a Turban, wobbling head as he spoke, said " The light was on, it was not out fault". Maybe, I replied, but you had at least 6 staff down there watching, couldn't one of you at least have walked in front and crossed your arms above your head as an indication that I should stop ? "Not our job, it's a Pilot Self Parking system, we are not trained as aircraft marshallers" QED.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by probes » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 am

:)
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Then there was the famous occasion that Concorde overshot the red carpet and had to be pushed back.
one would think it's easier to move the carpet than the Concorde, but what does one know, of course. :)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by llondel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:02 pm

probes wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 am
:)
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Then there was the famous occasion that Concorde overshot the red carpet and had to be pushed back.
one would think it's easier to move the carpet than the Concorde, but what does one know, of course. :)
Moving the carpet is easy, but there's probably a brass band and a bunch of VIPs all waiting too, plus the official car, which would all need to be moved too.

Sisemen

#15 Post by Sisemen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:12 am

Slammed on the brakes just in time to stop No. 3 engine impacting the loading bridge.

Hopefully scattering the brain dead feckwits who have already gotten out of their seats and are emptying the overhead bins! :D

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 am

Sisemen wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:12 am
Slammed on the brakes just in time to stop No. 3 engine impacting the loading bridge.

Hopefully scattering the brain dead feckwits who have already gotten out of their seats and are emptying the overhead bins! :D
Once sitting as SLF when arriving in Cape Town when the BA Captain, while the aicraft was still taxying in, gave a little technical detail about the braking capacity of the aircraft at low speeds and pointed out that, even at low a taxy speed, this might still mean that in the event of an emergency stop, a passenger could be flung forward at up to the equivalent of 30 miles an hour. A good rational message and surely it would make the point but no, people were still doing exactly what he had asked them not to do, even after the announcement. There is no accounting for fools!

Caco

Slasher

#17 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:47 am

Can never understand this rush to get crap out of the stowage lockers while still taxying to the gate. It takes on average 5-10 mins to get the bridge/steps to the aircraft and open the doors.

What's the bloody hurry?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by probes » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm

llondel wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:02 pm
Moving the carpet is easy, but there's probably a brass band and a bunch of VIPs all waiting too, plus the official car, which would all need to be moved too.
Yep, although the carpet can "turn tricky", too! :)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Managing the angle of attack of an umbrella seems to have defeated the white bloke.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by izod tester » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Watched a red carpet moving quite spectacularly when a red Wessex flared to a stationary hover just prior to landing. Face of Stn Cdr and SWO rapidly matching colour of carpet too.