Vale, Herb Kelleher

Capetonian

Vale, Herb Kelleher

#1 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 am

Herb Kelleher, who created the 'Low Cost' model for airlines, but without the nastiness that became its hallmark, has passed away at 87, a good age and a life well-lived.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46755080

I have never flown on SouthWest but I understand that his attitude filtered down to his employees and it was always a pleasant experience, rather different from some I could name. One of those rare people who has achieved success without creating enemies.

Happy Landings.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Vale, Herb Kelleher

#2 Post by ian16th » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 am

Not wanting to belittle the efforts of Mr. Kelleher, but wasn't he following in the footsteps of Freddie Laker?
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

Re: Vale, Herb Kelleher

#3 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:44 am

Laker Airways and SouthWest probably started up within a year or so of each other (late 60s?), so that's a valid comment. However there were some differences.

Both started off with shorthaul services and partcharter operations, and SWA never tried to expand beyond a regional carrier, whereas Laker went transatlantic with the Skytrain (mid 70s?). That was his downfall as the bitter jealousy of his rivals caused them all to conspire to ensure his failure.

Without wishing to belittle Sir Freddie, or imply that he failed, SWA is still around, Laker is not.