Norwegian struggles

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Norwegian struggles

#1 Post by Woody » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Wonder if IAG are still sniffing around :ymdevil:

https://ifn.news/posts/norwegian-to-clo ... rew-bases/
When all else fails, read the instructions.

reddo
Capt
Capt
Re: Norwegian struggles

#2 Post by reddo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 pm

I believe not.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Woody » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Still not looking great :(
Airbus and Norwegian, through its subsidiary Arctic Aviation Assets Ltd., have reached an agreement to postpone the aircraft deliveries of several Airbus A320neo as well as A321LR, the long-range version of the A321neo.

The postponement is expected to reduce Norwegian’s capital expenditure commitments by approximately 570 million US-Dollar in total for 2019 and 2020, the carrier announced in a statement.

In 2012, the airline signed a firm order for 100 Airbus A320neo aircraft with deliveries expected to start in 2019 and later decided to convert 30 airplanes to the larger Airbus A321neo (LR) version. However, the airline has already signed agreements for the sale of a total of seven Airbus A320neo aircraft in 2018 and early-2019 respectively that were leased to other airlines.

Furthermore, twelve A320neo will be or have been leased to the Hong Kong-based airline HK Express. Five of the aforementioned twelve A320neo aircraft have already been delivered to the Asian carrier.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by barkingmad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am

Snippet on UK national radio 19thApril that NAS insisting on flying staff wear high-heels & makeup.

I always found this uniform rule to be a drag as the high-heels interfered with the position of my size 8s on the rudder pedals and following flight deck occupants grumped about the traces of lipstick and makeup on the ANR headset affixed to the 'frame.

Now in retirement on my racing pedal cycle the makeup keeps the flies off my face whilst on the road but still trying to get the hang of heels versus pedals & toeclips!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:06 pm

I think it was probably the g-string and bra that finished your career, BM?

Not to go any further, of course, just between you and me................ :))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by barkingmad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Boac, I was hoping nobody would mention that phase of my stellar career!!
3 winters stationed on "The Rock", (Iceland for those unfamiliar with that term of affection) plus being pulled in opposite directions by Ashtrays-R-Us and the crowd of redeployed ex-fisherfolk known as Iceland Express finally removed any semblance of normality I had.
The actual end of my career was discovering my birth certificate which said it was time to park the headset permanently which happened at 64.75 years.
Though before that happened I found I was occupying the flight deck on a revenue trip with another 60+yr old who was doing my pre-cmd checkride!
Cue much embarrassment at Faraday House HQ and my LHS acceptance check being delayed.
Aaaaah, the good old days.
In conclusion, the G-string was uncomfortable & tangled with the Kiwi fruit(s) and I couldn't afford bras from Rigby & Peller so I've reverted to M&S hipsters and going topless.
Sorry about that but I am trying to be accepted as normal in these PC days........ :O3

Capetonian

Norwegian Air axes transatlantic flights from Ireland

#7 Post by Capetonian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Flights to New York, Boston and Toronto will cease on September 15th

Norwegian Air said the route closures took into account the grounding of the Boeing 737 Max aircraft. Photograph: Artur

Up to 134 jobs are at risk after Norwegian Air announced its decision to axe all of its transatlantic routes from Ireland in September.

The budget airline said on Tuesday afternoon that it would close its Dublin base and will also cease flying from Shannon and Cork on transatlantic routes from September 15th. The company operated routes to New York, Boston and Toronto from the Republic’s three biggest airports.

The move is bad news for pilots and cabin crew stationed at the company’s Dublin base. Although Norwegian’s 80 Irish-based administrative staff will not be affected, up to 134 pilots and cabin crew face an uncertain future, although Norwegian said redundancies “remain a last resort” as it planned to engage with staff and their respective unions.

In a statement, the carrier,which has its headquarters in Oslo, said the route closures followed a comprehensive review of its transatlantic operations and took into account the “grounding of the Boeing 737 Max aircraft”.

“We have concluded that these routes are no longer commercially viable,” said Matthew Wood, a senior vice-president at Norwegian.

“Since March we have tirelessly sought to minimise the impact on our customers by hiring replacement aircraft to operate services between Ireland and North America. However, as the return to service date for the 737 Max remains uncertain, this solution is unsustainable,” Mr Wood said.

“We are assisting customers by ensuring they can still get to their destination by rerouting them on to other Norwegian services. Customers will also be offered a full refund if they no longer wish to travel.”

A spokesman for Dublin Airport operator DAA said it was disappointed that Norwegian had decided to end its transatlantic operations to and from Ireland “due to the financial impact of the worldwide grounding of the Boeing 737 Max aircraft”.

He noted, however, that the airline would continue to operate short-haul services from Dublin to Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm.

All variants of the Boeing 737 Max were grounded in March in the wake of the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines flight, which killed all 157 passengers. The move particularly affected Norwegian, which had to deploy Boeing 787 Dreamliners to cover its Irish routes.

Norwegian said the grounding of the 737 Max family of aircraft was not the sole factor in its decision, although the uncertainty surrounding the return to service of this aircraft led the company “to make the difficult decision to discontinue all six routes from Dublin, Cork and Shannon to the US and Canada”.

Tourism Ireland chief executive Niall Gibbons said Norwegian’s decision was “regretable”, noting that it would impact competition among transatlantic carriers to the island.

“Tourism Ireland will continue to work with all airports, and other interests, to attract new carriers and services to Ireland and will help drive demand for these services through targeted, co-operative marketing campaigns overseas,” he said.

Graeme McQueen, head of communications at Dublin Chamber, said it was disappointed at the news because of the popularity of the routes and the strength of the transatlantic market.

“The latest figures from Dublin Airport show that transatlantic passenger numbers were up 5 per cent year on year in the month of July to just shy of 500,000. Dublin had almost four million transatlantic passengers in 2018 and this market had almost doubled in size since 2014,” he added.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Doesn’t seem to be getting any better :-o
Low-cost carrier Norwegian has announced that it will terminate multiple long-haul routes.

Starting from March 29, 2020, long-haul routes from Copenhagen and Stockholm to the US and Thailand will be discontinued. The services to the US included flights to New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Orlando. European services from both airports are not affected by the route cancellations.

Long-haul flights from Oslo to the US will be maintained. However, the low-cost airline will terminate its Oslo to Bangkok route for the upcoming summer season and has yet to make a decision on its Oslo to Krabi (seasonal) and Oslo to Bangkok services for winter 2020/21.

The financially struggling airline cites operational challenges, especially due to issues with the Rolls Royce engines that are installed on its Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet. Norwegian was often forced to deploy wet-leased aircraft from other airlines on its long-haul flights due to a lack of availability of its own fleet.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Ibbie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 am

A few of their EI registered 738s with Norwegian Air International, have transferred to the Norwegian Air Sweden and are now SE registered, at the end of November.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:28 pm

IIRC DanAir was a reasonably profitable airline especially in the short/medium haul markets whether schedules or charters.

Many moons ago their 707 fell apart from fatigue failure of the tail plane, the Comets were pensioned off and things chugged onwards.

Then an A-300 was acquired to start long-haul again and the end came November 1992.

I hope my memory is correct but the moral of the story is that a successful LH operation does not necessarily follow on the heels of a good SH operation.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Ibbie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Now Norwegian has three pairs of slots allocated at Heathrow.

https://blueswandaily.com/norwegian-sec ... 15ce2089af

They have also sold their Argentinian subsidiary off to Jetsmart.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/12/05 ... 15ce2089af