Bad news for anyone planning to go to Turkmenistan

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Bad news for anyone planning to go to Turkmenistan

#1 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 am

Thousands of passengers have been left stranded after air regulators grounded Turkmenistan Airlines for safety reasons.
The UK's Civil Aviation Authority said flights from Birmingham and London's Heathrow to Amritsar, and Heathrow to New Delhi - which fly via Ashgabat, Turkmenistan - had been suspended.
The CAA acted after the European Aviation Safety Agency suspended permission for it to fly in the EU.
It also flies from Frankfurt and Paris.
Set up in 1992 by the former Soviet Union state, its route to Amritsar is popular with the British Punjabi population.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said the European Aviation Safety Agency had suspended the airline's flights to and from the EU "pending confirmation that it meets international air safety standards".
"This means that Turkmenistan Airlines flights between the UK (London Heathrow and Birmingham) and Turkmenistan (Ashgabat), do not have permission to travel to and from the UK," the FCO said.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

Re: Bad news for anyone planning to go to Turkmenistan

#2 Post by Capetonian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 am

From what I've heard about Turkmenistan it's probably good news not to have to go there.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:04 am

Why have I never woken up in the morning with an urge to visit Turkmenistan?
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:19 am

Damn and I was just planning a trip there. Always wanted to see Turkeywhatsistan.