Flying Freight

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Flying Freight

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Among the twinkling fireflies heading out into the stillness of a calm Mediterranean night this evening I spotted a 747 CargoLux traveling from Luxembourg to darkest Africa. I've never met anyone flying long-distance freight, and it set me wondering. Are there crew who prefer flying freight ? How many crew would have been on board ? What sort of catering do they have ? Do they carry extra crew so they can rotate ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Flying Freight

#2 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 pm

PAs are a doddle.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am

A friend of mine left the RAF and joined Heavylift. One of their regular runs was trucking Nokia phones from Finland. 5* over night hotels NOT - they bunked in a cabin in the airfield.

He did truck SLF for a time and said he preferred freight. It didn't argue or get drunk and fight.

He eventually retired from commiting aviation, when Heavylift went belly up I think, and went to London Oxford as a Sim instructor. He was and maybe still is an instructor there now in his 70s.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am
One of their regular runs was trucking Nokia phones from Finland. 5* over night hotels NOT - they bunked in a cabin in the airfield.
I had to go to Tampere on a trouble shooting trip, I got a hotel room :YMPARTY:

I was most impressed by the hotel restaurant. There were menu's on the tables in Finish. When I pointed out that I couldn't understand Finish, they produced a types out one in English, almost immediately!
Cynicism improves with age