Time lapse video of LAX

Capetonian

Time lapse video of LAX

#1 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 pm

A pretty impressive video. Enjoy!

WORLD WAY: The City of LAX is a four-minute love letter to airport operations. Captured over three years, WORLD WAY takes the viewer through every aspect of the airport from passenger drop-offs to departing aircraft. Climb inside cargo bays and atop jet bridges to see the movement and rhythm of the airport in a new way.

ribrash

Re: Time lapse video of LAX

#2 Post by ribrash » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Very good Cape.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am

Very impressive volumes etc.,and traffic and so on..the Iconic 'Arches' also..but really a pain in the @rse place...

Will be back there in the new year having looked at a heap of alternative ways from via Japan, South America, even going around 'the back' via LHR just to avoid LAX, Air Canada is such a poor proposition than it is a 'no thanks', will not support QF across the pacific...at the end of an exhaustive look, it'll be Hawaiian Air, still going through LAX ultimately, regrettably....but nothing else reallly stacks up from BNE...can't gp from 'Home Port' OOL, unless through HKG or SIN & it is adding too much $ plus time.!.....so for an American carrier I've heard good things about Hawaiian...will try them...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Fliegenmong wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am
at the end of an exhaustive look, it'll be Hawaiian Air,
FWIW, I will give a thumbs up for Hawaiian. I flew them weekly when I lived in Hawaii and still use them when I visit the islands from California, Clean aircraft, fun crews, good food & great hospitality.

Also, great video, have landed at the helipads on the parking structure, (right side of screen @ at 11 seconds), many times till they shut them down---we now land at Signature aviation on the South side.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 am

Used to enjoy LAX when flying in as crew, efficient ATC, everyone on the ball, but now, as Pax. ... Forget it.

Don't try to go through Imm. after the arrival of 3 or 4 A-380's, or attempt to go through the less busy USA passport channels with a USA passport bearing wife - as is permitted - but not when some TSA "Jobsworth" is guarding the entry gate with only one phrase - "get over there", with the other 1,000 or so.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by G~Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:27 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 am
Don't try to go through Imm. after the arrival of 3 or 4 A-380's, or attempt to go through the less busy USA passport channels with a USA passport bearing wife - as is permitted - but not when some TSA "Jobsworth" is guarding the entry gate with only one phrase - "get over there", with the other 1,000 or so.
Tis why I have Global Entry---breeze right through with the crew.....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am

Tis why I have Global Entry---breeze right through with the crew....

But you're probably a US Citizen / passport holder ? No problem.

I'm not. I'm a Foreign Alien, or somesuch nonsense. Not even Green Card holder.

There is a slight possibility that Mrs. ExS might insist on returning to the USA in the foreseeable future, in which case I would attempt to be officially recognised in some spousal way - should I live long enough to complete the process? ( or would it be better to just walk across the border from Mexico, and claim all the welfare benefits ? )

I would have little objection to re-locating to Southern California, just can't afford to be ill there - and at age 85 .... ?

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by G~Man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:02 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am
Tis why I have Global Entry---breeze right through with the crew....
But you're probably a US Citizen / passport holder ? No problem.
I am now yes....
ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am
I would have little objection to re-locating to Southern California, just can't afford to be ill there - and at age 85 .... ?
My "insurance" for many years was enough money in the bank to fly back to the UK....these days I have employer provided health insurance.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:25 pm

G~Man wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:02 pm
My "insurance" for many years was enough money in the bank to fly back to the UK....these days I have employer provided health insurance.
If you are not resident in the UK, you are not entitled to NHS cover on a visit to the UK.
Though you would probably get away with using the NHS, as the staff seems to not like handling money.

I am aware of a South African, who had to consult a NHS GP, when she offered to pay, she was told that the practice had no mechanism for billing her.
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 am

Haven’t been to LAX (or SFO) for many yonks now. Did JFK a few years ago on a gold buying spree and that was bad enough. It wasn’t so much the immig queues as the sh!t received from the bloody TSA. A pox on those miserable bastards.

But during the good times I recall LAX being a well run patch of airport. Immig and customs arr crew lanes were straight fourward, same with dep IIRC.

The holding at the 9 yard(?) line on the inter-runway taxiways, 14,000ft over SMO VOR then drop all your flap, drop your gear, drop your pants, to rollout LLZ R24 and be 2000ft(?) at 10 miles. During final Tower would tell you what exit taxiway you WILL take. Hearing KAL being told on 133.6 to hold over Catalina NDB because it missed the last ATC instruction, etc.

124.9 was allotted when we had to shutdown #3 just after T/O 25R (oil press/temp). We got vectored, dumped 80T of JetA1 in the Pacific, and then vectored onto final all on that nice quiet freq. Bloody well done by ATC.

Nightstop LAX was at a reasonable pub in Marina Del Rey with a handy Rent-A-Wreck across the road. It was in an area close to Aunt Kizzie’s Back Porch (bestest black soul food in town herney charld!), Alpha Beta and TGIF. The Soup Plantation was a short walk, and a Pom-styled pub not too far away in Santa Monica.

The MDR Yacht Club was ok fo evening meals and booze. Seeing the sunset from a good table was nice.

I used to spend time on Melrose sittin’ around with the freaks and misfits talking about nothing in particular. I never smoked their sh!t although was offered to many times, and at 50(?) bucks an ounce was quite generous on their part. Felt reasonably safe at all times but a Derringer would’ve given me psychological comfort just in case.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:43 am

............and a Pom-styled pub not too far away in Santa Monica.
The King's Head. Still there ( or at least it was four months ago ) and still serving a reasonable pint of Pom Bass Ale and good Fish and Chips. ( The Queen Size more than enough, the King Size responsible for overweight Americans, but clearly popular as it is the default order unless one specifies Queen. )

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 am

It wasn’t so much the immig queues as the sh!t received from the bloody TSA

Yeah...I know, at least this time my boarding pass won't be stamped 'SSS', so that is something to be thankful for. Last I was there, there missing roof panels with exposed wiring hanging out, ridiculously long lines of people and a general feel of well worn out & run down

Will probably visit here...

https://www.theproudbird.com/

Have spent some time at the "In 'n Out" , under the approach to 24R

In 'N out is about right, get there get a hotel, and get back out again! :))
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 am

Will probably visit here...

https://www.theproudbird.com/
The Flight Path Museum down the side of 24L is worth a visit, too. ( California St, just off Imp. Highway ? ) Mostly memories of defunct airlines, PanAm and the like, staff in old airline rig. ( or were when I visited couple of years ago )

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Speedy: Actually 25L
Proud Bird: Went there a year or so ago on an overnight. Basically the restaurant is a "Food Court" with stations for pizza, sandwiches, burgers, and salads. OK food, nothing special, but planes and displays are worth going.

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Speedy: Actually 25L
!! Correct, thanks.