Electric Beavers on Steroids...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Do old pilots dream of electric Beavers?
The world’s first fully electric commercial aircraft has taken its inaugural test flight, taking off from the Canadian city of Vancouver and flying for 15 minutes.

“This proves that commercial aviation in all-electric form can work,” said Roei Ganzarski, chief executive of Australian engineering firm magniX...

The e-plane – a 62-year-old, six-passenger DHC-2 de Havilland Beaver seaplane retrofitted with a 750hp electric motor – was piloted by Greg McDougall, founder and chief executive of Harbour Air. “For me that flight was just like flying a Beaver, but it was a Beaver on electric steroids. I actually had to back off on the power,” he said.
Electric Beaver...
Beaver.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Beavers on Steroids...

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Great news!

Any excuse...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Why when I saw this thread title I thought it was something for men mainly, available from Lovehoney or the infamous A1 Pulse&Cocktails premises along that famous UK road artery! !

Having perused the posting I was almost disappointed....... #:-S

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by izod tester » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:38 pm

If you were intrigued about the picture of a broken Beaver in the Beaver Ballad. The video of it happening is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVvFMRnpIU

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Would an electric Beverley be able to carry enough battery capacity to have worthwhile endurance?
Or would the weight of the batteries prevent this?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Fox - that was DELIGHTFUL!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm

As I say, any excuse. I think it was Stoneboat who first put it up a few years back.
I have my floatplane rating, but have never used it. I fancy flying a Beaver one day; I'm saving up. :D

My other fav ballad being..

Now I have flown down into the canyons, and blown the mesquite right up off of the sand :D

Slasher

#8 Post by Slasher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:57 am

One of my top faves too Fox but prefer this one because of the visuals.

What I might do one day is take a vid from the Cub’s back seat of me kid flogging around at zot feet in the valley, then underlay it with Stills’s song.

Haven’t flown down into the canyons, but certainly into our valleys and blown the bird nests right up off the trees!

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 am

I thought I was gonna read about a certain part of Margo the Doll (what that freaky nutter Yuri Tolochko intends to marry). :))

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/b ... t-21055600

I guess friends and future missusses can be electric then. 🤷‍♂️

PS - exclusively for you Gob!.... :) 👇🏻

Sisemen

#10 Post by Sisemen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 am

I did, I really, really thought ......

cv-1062480007.jpg
cv-1062480007.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 3037 times

Slasher

#11 Post by Slasher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:07 am

Does it come with a bushinal option Sise? 🤔

Bloody thing looks like an unfrozen frozen chook’s arse.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:57 am

Slasher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 am
I thought I was gonna read about a certain part of Margo the Doll (what that freaky nutter Yuri Tolochko intends to marry). :))

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/b ... t-21055600

I guess friends and future missusses can be electric then. 🤷‍♂️

PS - exclusively for you Gob!.... :) 👇🏻
I am sorry that my rather colourful thread title grabbed the attention of and then disappointed some of the good folks here. Please don't sue me under the trades description act. Twas not my intention to beat around the bush but rather to highlight the potential of a classic bush aircraft while paying homage to Philip K Dick's classic, 'Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep'.

The photograph of the electric vagina is enough to make a man take a vow of celibacy and become a monk.

Thanks for the music Captain Slasher,. Mr Numan was/is a keen pilot as well. Are Friends Electric is a particular GOB favourite as it happens.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 am

Looking forward to seeing your cub video, Slasher.
Only had a bash in a Cub once, which was down over the Arizona desert, near Tombstone. The owner was in the Witness Protection Program; all very exciting. He had to leave rapidly for another continent 2 months later ;)))

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 am

Did he take his Cub with him to the other continent?We might have the beginning of a story of another Cub across an ocean from Arizona.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 am

Nope. We got a phone call from a different state, and he was flying out next morning. He couldn't even tell us which continent, but I suspect he's a bit north of the Ex-A's. I expect he's still flying, his allowance was not a pittance and he'd earned it. The cartels were after him for devising ways to interdict their shipments.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:34 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 am
Did he take his Cub with him to the other continent?We might have the beginning of a story of another Cub across an ocean from Arizona.
Talking of Cubs, methinks it is time for Captain Slasher to give up the frolicking around in a box on pumping steel pistons game and set up an outfit like this. I'd happily join him in such an enterprise, not least, because, I naturally fly like this... =))

The Moonshine Boys (the men of constant aviation sorrow)...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by Stoneboat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:25 pm

izod tester wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:38 pm
If you were intrigued about the picture of a broken Beaver in the Beaver Ballad. The video of it happening is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVvFMRnpIU
I've did a couple of trips with that airplane when it was owned by a Canadian company, it was a good performer. That stupid ***** doesn't even get on the step, just sits there dragging his ass through the water on the heels of the floats, then tries to horse the airplane in the air. The Beaver does not have a stall warning, but if it did you can be sure it would have been screaming "Abort, asshole." :D
Would an electric Beverley be able to carry enough battery capacity to have worthwhile endurance?
Or would the weight of the batteries prevent this?
There's another vid somewhere that shows the eBeaver on the water with a standard one nearby. The e is empty, one person - the pilot - onboard and the other has six people on it. Both airplanes are sitting at the same level in the water. The HA airplane is a proof of concept machine, so I wouldn't bet on seeing any in service for awhile. The range as it stands there is one hour. This will suit a company like Harbour Air well, since 80% of their flights are about 20 minutes, but it'll be awhile before any company will buy one to send on a month long contract in the bush.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Stoneboat wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:25 pm
There's another vid somewhere that shows the eBeaver on the water with a standard one nearby. The e is empty, one person - the pilot - onboard and the other has six people on it. Both airplanes are sitting at the same level in the water. The HA airplane is a proof of concept machine, so I wouldn't bet on seeing any in service for awhile. The range as it stands there is one hour. This will suit a company like Harbour Air well, since 80% of their flights are about 20 minutes, but it'll be awhile before any company will buy one to send on a month long contract in the bush.
+1

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."