BA staff killed and injured in traffic accident

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

BA staff killed and injured in traffic accident

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Three BA cabin crew killed in a collision with a lorry near Heathrow airport on New Year's eve. A fourth BA employee was seriously injured.

Really sorry to hear this. Statistically speaking, driving to and from the airport is far more dangerous than flying with a scheduled airline.

https://news.sky.com/story/heathrow-air ... d-11898963
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BA staff killed and injured in traffic accident

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:30 pm

The larger hotel vans made me uneasy as it seemed that most of them didn't have seatbelts or, if they did, they were buried under seat cushions.

PP

Slasher

#3 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 am

There’ve been cabin crew killed dead last year in SV crew vans in RUH so I’ve been told. Driver fatigue suspected. The will of allah blamed as always.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am

UK news reported they were in a white Toyota Yaris, so the crew transport mention is not relevant. TV reports on the accident claimed they’d come off duty at 1800 local/Z.

The M3 motorway south west of LHR is also reputed to be a frequent impact area for long-haul crews commuting to home.

Stanwell crash: Three BA cabin crew dead in New Year's Eve collision https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-50964798

Not the sort of car you want to be in versus an articulated lorry.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:44 am

I guess it goes to prove that for some the flight isn't over until they are sitting comfortably at home having managed to drink their first cup of tea without choking to death. Fatigue is a big killer on the roads too sadly although I have absolutely no idea about the details of this tragic accident.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 am

Whilst it is quite understandable wouldn't want to leave a high-end Mercedes 'permanently' parked at airports, the choice of a low-resilience small vehicle is probably not sensible - even for short trips.
The crash probably wasn't their fault but the consequences were fatal for them - not the truck driver.

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:32 am

Tragic, and I do not wish to speculate on a tragedy, but others have in some of the press reports to I will respond.
'They had no chance, the car was doing at least 80 miles an hour as it pulled out of the junction into the path of the lorry'.
This makes no sense, unless it is to be taken to mean that the lorry pulled out into the path of the speeding car. As the driver was not arrested, this seems unlikely.
I doubt if a Toyota Yaris is capable of doing 80mph, least of all with 4 people on board. I know most of the roads around there and looking at the map where the crash supposedly took place, just south of the Southern Perimeter, such a speed seems impossible.
Anyway, the press is full of crap.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:32 am
Tragic, and I do not wish to speculate on a tragedy, but others have in some of the press reports to I will respond.
'They had no chance, the car was doing at least 80 miles an hour as it pulled out of the junction into the path of the lorry'.
This makes no sense, unless it is to be taken to mean that the lorry pulled out into the path of the speeding car. As the driver was not arrested, this seems unlikely.
I doubt if a Toyota Yaris is capable of doing 80mph, least of all with 4 people on board. I know most of the roads around there and looking at the map where the crash supposedly took place, just south of the Southern Perimeter, such a speed seems impossible.
Anyway, the press is full of crap.
Once again, total speculation from me but maybe the press has mangled the closing speed of both vehicles which could have been around 80 miles an hour, vector algebra being what it is.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Telegraph says 20 minutes before midnight going to the pub for New Year. Lots of dots to join up.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:05 pm

This was posted today on the 'Go Fund Me' page set up for the families of the four victims.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/ba-angels-fu ... orters-v5b
The sum raised was £98,735.
Today by Stephen Paul Crook, Organizer
Ladies And Gents,

We are now two months on from the tragic events of New Years Eve and I feel now would be the right time to close the fund to further donations. As such from today the fund will no longer be open for donations but will remain active so that the families and friends of our BA Angels can continue to see the love and support of all of the donors.

I have now received confirmation from all of the families and the funds have now been withdrawn from the fund and are in the process of being distributed evenly between the four families.

I would personally like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for your support over the last two months. When I opened this fund on January 1st I never imagined that it would get to the amazing sum that it stands at today. This feat has only been possible by your support and how amazingly you have all got behind the fund and shared it around the world.

For my colleagues at British Airways who donated to the fund, what can I say you guys are amazing. In the face of such tragedy we did what we do best, we rallied round and showed that in Mixed Fleet and British Airways you are never on your own. We are a family, we are strong and in the darkest of times our compassion and love for each other will always shine brighter.

For those people who donated who did not know our BA Angels and are not part of the British Airways family, your outpouring of love and support has been truly breathtaking. Your generosity and support has meant so much to those impacted and myself. You have shown all that is great about this world, and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

So that is it. So for one last time thank you, thank you, thank you! Each and everyone of the you has been amazing.

Fly the skies eternal guys you will never be forgotten

Kind Regards,

Steve Crook