Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 pm

I suspect that a significant number of our members are retired from the industry or close, and massive slow-downs will have little impact, but that is no reason for it not to be worth discussion.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comm ... e-tourist/
n the first year of the new millennium, a modest 10.5m overseas trips were made by Chinese residents. Fast forward to 2018 and the figure was 149.7m – an astounding increase of 1,326 per cent.

In less than two decades China has grown from travel minnows to the world’s most powerful outbound market, leapfrogging the US – and leaving it in its wake. According to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) Chinese tourists overseas spent $277.3bn in 2018, up from around $10bn in the year 2000. Collectively, America’s globetrotters parted with a relatively paltry $144.2bn.
With the aviation industry having geared up to support this growth, the coronavirus must be giving aviation marketing executives many sleepless nights. Even if the virus turns out to be a damp squib, it will have given tremendous impetus to video conferencing instead of flying. If not then the aviation industry will take a tremendous knock. Suspect a massive wind-back of demand will cause the Boeing 777-9X to follow the Airbus A380. Any thoughts out there.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Is the increase in Chinese passengers due to increases in wealth? - or is there an underlying political relaxation that Chinese now feel able to travel?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 pm

G-CPTN, I think the latter. International business travel at those sorts of numbers would not be economic. Two years ago we were on a Princess cruise ship. She had been serving the Pacific; all the notices on board were in Chinese.

Chinese are the new Japanese of tourism.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 pm
(...)
With the aviation industry having geared up to support this growth, the coronavirus must be giving aviation marketing executives many sleepless nights. Even if the virus turns out to be a damp squib, it will have given tremendous impetus to video conferencing instead of flying. If not then the aviation industry will take a tremendous knock. Suspect a massive wind-back of demand will cause the Boeing 777-9X to follow the Airbus A380. Any thoughts out there.

Alison
[/quote]

Either here or on TOP there was a story about a pilot fearing losing his job to video conferencing and he is still waiting. I had a job in sales (running an official dealer network) and I thought field trips were invaluable even if some deals could be arranged over the phone.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 pm
Either here or on TOP there was a story about a pilot fearing losing his job to video conferencing and he is still waiting. I had a job in sales (running an official dealer network) and I thought field trips were invaluable even if some deals could be arranged over the phone.
RiS, I was thinking within the context of the massive changes taking place due to containment of the coronavirus. Most of China appears to be in lock-down, and whole countries are refusing to accept passengers who have embarked in China. That's right now, long term ??

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 pm

If the virus is contained impact should be minimal - if it is not contained the situation can be much more critical and people would be persuaded to use the video - conference.

Although I am not answer I am answering the question correctly.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:27 pm

Shirley the containment itself will have significant impact on travel related industries. Especially if "containment" isn't entirely self-imposed,and is on the whole country.

Sisemen

#8 Post by Sisemen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:57 am

Already hitting the tourism industry in WA. Government holding crisis talks today. And the rock lobster industry closed down last week with no boats putting to sea.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 am

And the rock lobster industry closed down last week with no boats putting to sea.
I noted an article in the Australian a few days ago which stated that maybe the average Aussie may be able to buy a few Lobsters at a reasonable price for a change, rather than have the entire catch exported to China as was the norm.

One wonders though whether the normal catch was sustainable or another case of stripping the seas! :-?

Some fellow Ops Normal members may have an idea.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am

And as long an airline free way of doing business has not been implemented while the virus is contained, airline travel will resume with a higher growth

Sisemen

#11 Post by Sisemen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:07 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 am
And the rock lobster industry closed down last week with no boats putting to sea.
I noted an article in the Australian a few days ago which stated that maybe the average Aussie may be able to buy a few Lobsters at a reasonable price for a change, rather than have the entire catch exported to China as was the norm.

One wonders though whether the normal catch was sustainable or another case of stripping the seas! :-?

Some fellow Ops Normal members may have an idea.
No such luck! The industry has decided that, as they’re not able to sell to China, then the local prices don’t make it worth their while to put to sea. WA natives are getting a bit restless over this!

The WA fishery is about the most sustainable fishery in the world - which is why the lobster commands a high price.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 am

An interesting article from Sky News on the effects on Thailand; https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11925280
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Slasher

#13 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:41 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 am
That’s not too far from the truth TS. Fortunately no reported cases in N Thailand at this time (source: local rag and Ap). If anything significant occurs in our town or northern region I’ll post in the Need for War thread.

Also if you open that thread I’d appreciate any comment from you dear wrt the post I made about the N95 respirator vs cheap mask. Thanks.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 am

An interesting article from the Daily Mail; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -9-11.html

We've just made the decision not to travel to Greece this year mostly due to concern that we will get there only to find that we can't get back. Busy cancelling flights at the moment.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 am
An interesting article from the Daily Mail; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -9-11.html

We've just made the decision not to travel to Greece this year mostly due to concern that we will get there only to find that we can't get back. Busy cancelling flights at the moment.
And not forget the impact on beer industry.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 am

:YMAPPLAUSE:

Good decision. When was your return planned?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:49 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am

:YMAPPLAUSE:

Good decision. When was your return planned?
We were planning on returning to Greece mid April (six and a half weeks time ) returning here middle of July. We decided that things are probably going to get worse before they get better and didn't want to end up in the situation where we could not get back into Southern Africa. Better to stay put and look forward to visiting Greece next year when hopefully all will be back to normal. :)

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:11 am

All those pictures from the USA, when according to a spokesman for The Donald said that it’s a plot by The Democrats to get him lose the election in November, obviously fake news :(

I was hoping to be stranded in ZA, but BA are actually increasing flights in April to CPT, using spare slots and aircraft that were originally scheduled to operate to Far East :((
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Looks like Flybe could be a casualty of COVID19: https://news.sky.com/story/regional-air ... e-11949393

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by boing » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:19 pm

It was announced this morning that an employee at Amazon headquarters in Seattle is a suspected victim.
Seattle his home to three big corporations, Amazon, Microsoft and Boeing. Amazon and Microsoft have their corporate headquarters in Seattle, Boeing as we know has its corporate headquarters in Chicago but most of its design and production is in Seattle. A spread of CV into the Boeing workforce is another problem the company does not need at this time but it is difficult to imagine how you could construct a sterile aircraft assembly zone since close cooperation between workers is required.

All three corporations have strong Chinese connections with Amazon particularly having frequent employee travel between Seattle and China.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.