Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

#61 Post by llondel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:35 am

Trump discovered that no one wanted to go to his golf courses anyway so he extended the ban. As I saw elsewhere, "who wants to have one last mass gathering before they're banned?"

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:54 am

llondel wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:35 am
Trump discovered that no one wanted to go to his golf courses anyway so he extended the ban. As I saw elsewhere, "who wants to have one last mass gathering before they're banned?"
LLondel, it is so sad that such a, great, cerebral, and creative nation would have a moron for a Potus....
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am

I just cannot see what's keeping Norwegian Air afloat.

It's defying gravity in the way that Flymaybe did for so long.

Quite apart from the underlying capitalisation problem which is based on debts of puffmoney, they've got 18 737 MACSs sitting around rotting; and 10 787 Dreadliners with wonky Trents.

28 practically new airliners sitting on saggy tyres ain't earning their keep.

Now they've not only lost 100% of their TransLant revenue but also all Noggie airports are going to be shut down to international flights for at least a fortnight with effect from tomorrow.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by tango15 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:31 pm

The ongoing virus problem and the threat of us oldies being imprisoned for several months won't help either. Apart from half term (approximately early-mid April), when the little darlings will have to go to Center Parcs (share-buying tip :) ) - other leafy prison camps are available. With us all locked down and a gun-toting member of the armed forces outside the front door, there will be no passengers outside of term time and nowhere for them to go. I can imagine a few more UK-based carriers will go to the wall.

Much depends on how long the sun-blessed nations of the Mediterranean keep their borders closed. Will economic considerations eventually overtake the threat of the virus spreading, perhaps with stringent checks being imposed at the arrival airports? Or will the EU dig into its not insignificant store of euros to help the countries most affected by this?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 pm

As per the days following 9/11 in the USA, do we expect to see a change in European and other regions’ surface temperatures due to the lack of contrails being draped over our fair countries?

If we find the world doesn’t end due to millions working from home via the web, will that mean a fundamental change in working practices, especially amongst the admin jobs which usually can be performed remotely?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 pm

In addition to the (non-coronavirus) decline of high-street stores, the inevitable reduction in footfall will probably push some chains over into collapse - shopping-centre owner Intu is warning that they are on the brink.
In addition, train operators are asking for 'support' due to loss of revenue (people working from home).

Capetonian

#67 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Many companies have been trading on narrow margins but would have recovered from normal seasonal fluctuations caused by factors such as weather, interest rate changes, inflation, but whether they will recover from the massive loses that CV will cause remains to be seen.

Government aid is a complex and controversial step.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 am

Oh horror of horrors, the great EUSSR Superstate expansion project may be in jeopardy as a result of a variation of winter ‘flu;

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/c ... r-travels/

But at least reading their advice is better than the breathless panic-laden bollox being printed on the UK tabloids’ toilet paper.

Now, do I cut the newspaper into 6” squares or use 15cms as the datum measure when I’m in the Schengen Area?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by ian16th » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 am

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 am
Now, do I cut the newspaper into 6” squares or use 15cms as the datum measure when I’m in the Schengen Area?
During the war* we repeatedly halved each sheet until it was about right.

WWII*
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Important that the correct size nail is used. A 3" nail is the correct size, both 4" and 6" are two large, whilst a 2" is too small.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Difficult to know which of the 5 Corona threads to post on, so I'll use this one.

What is rapidly becoming so clear, particularly in the aviation industry, is the level of debt. I recall days in the Charter Holiday world where big winter overdrafts were repaid by summer profits - until the summer profits don't come in OR some bank or other calls 'Emperor's New Clothes' on a business.

Sadly, of course, the level of debt is not just related to airlines. Most businesses run on debt. Countries run on debt. The US is the biggest by far in the debt market.

We are witnessing a grand 'Pack of Cards' event. There is not enough REAL money in the system to cope. How far a country's gold reserves will carry it remains to be seen. What happens if countries default on their bonds will be an education. Calling in bonds is something we do not want to see. I fear the collapse is going to be astronomic.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 pm

I’m investing in bogroll futures!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 pm
I’m investing in bogroll futures!

Going long on extra ply (and a good supply) seems like a good idea.

Just been out for the first time (save for a cheeky drive to the supermarket on Saturday) for a meal (flagrantly disregarding our whiffling PM's most recent and contrary piece of advice) for the first time in 9 days after a slightly sore throat and a sniffle. I didn't hug anybody or commit any other acts of bodily intimacy.

At least I am not like my good friend and old army chum who is stuck in Saudi Arabia, on leave with nary a flight to be had anywhere... Living in a tax efficient hell hole is not all it is cracked up to be in the end.

It can only get worse, the grave yawns ever wider but, life, while we have it is, is still fun.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 pm

What REALLY annoys me is the lack of stocks of my favourite embossed watermarked luxury bogroll anywhere today!
So now I’ve got to choose which newspaper to cannibalise!
Guardian not recommended due to being “previously used”?
And Alison’s recommendation as to which nail length isn’t helping either. I’ve always found a beefy sized dome-headed screw was easier for recharging the hi-tech ‘hanger’ with freshly trimmed sheets of newsprint.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 pm

What REALLY annoys me is the lack of stocks of my favourite embossed watermarked luxury bogroll anywhere today!
if you can get hold of the Chump's shoes................................. :))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:22 am

Infected Pilot.jpg

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Arseholes

#77 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am

America's biggest airlines have called on Washington for more than $50bn (£41bn) in aid as they suffer the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

US President Donald Trump on Monday pledged to back the industry "100%".

But figures suggest major carriers spent almost all their spare cash in the last decade buying back their own shares.

It comes as the airline industry is facing huge losses and widespread layoffs as passengers stay at home.

Data revealed by Bloomberg show major airlines including United and American Airlines used up an average 96% of their spare cash buying back their own shares.

Companies buy back their own shares for a number of reasons. Some have built up big cash piles that they don't want to sit on so spend the money buying back previously issued shares. This helps them reduce their costs as they have fewer shareholders to pay dividends to.

Buying back stocks can also push up the company's share price, which many investors use to measure a company's performance.

American Airlines led the pack, buying back more than $12.5 billion of its own shares from 2010 to 2019, according to Bloomberg figures. United Airlines used 80% of its spare cash buying back its shares.

The average S&P 500 Index company spent about 50% of its spare cash buying back its own shares during this period.

With limited cash reserves and a significant drop in revenues expected, US airlines are looking for government assistance of more than $50bn. Plane maker Boeing is also one of the firms looking for short-term assistance.

US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said last week that airlines are "on top of the list" for government help.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Boac » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 am

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:24 pm

The ploy of US companies buying their own 'stock', has always annoyed me.

To illustrate a point, take it to its extreme.

Think of the ultimate buyback.

A company somehow manages to amass sufficient liquid funds to buy the entire stock portfolio.

Who owns the company?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:43 pm

Another one bites the dust. You can see why they didn't rush to bolster up FlyBe! https://www.independent.ie/business/wor ... 55641.html