Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Impact of coronavirus on aviation industry.

#321 Post by Woody » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm

British Airways is proposing to outsource work being done by at least 450 employees it is making redundant.

The Labour party said the proposals were “disturbing news” and called for the government to scrutinise the plans, revealed by the Guardian.

The airline, owned by International Airlines Group (IAG), is also considering closing its operation at Heathrow’s Terminal 3 completely and shrinking its footprint at Terminal 5, the Guardian understands.

Terminal 3 – which operates BA short-haul routes across Europe and long-haul destinations including Cape Town and Miami – carried about 15% of BA’s Heathrow traffic before the pandemic. Terminal 3 has been mothballed during lockdown, with all BA flights running from Terminal 5 on dramatically reduced schedules.
Oh ****
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#322 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri May 29, 2020 6:25 pm

It is so unfair and immoral to make people redundant to outsource the job. I hope this part doesn't get the go ahead

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#323 Post by Woody » Sat May 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Mike Ashley has beaten FSW to it X(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52843996

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#324 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 am

Campaign is gathering momentum
See new Tweets
Conversation

Huw Merriman MP
@HuwMerriman
#BritishAirways staff; at suggestion of many Conservative MPs, I’m applying for debates in Parliament this week to highlight your cause/press pause. Sure opposition MPs will also support. Email your MP; ask them to email/join me so this will occur #BAStopThinkAgain #backinthehold

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#325 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Dear

I am writing to you as your constituent to ask that you support Huw Merriman in Parliament this week. As you are no doubt aware, despite receiving public funds to avoid job losses, British Airways is making its entire work force redundant.

12,000 permanently, the remaining 30,000 reemployed on reduced pay or conditions but only if deemed as suitable.

As Chairman of the Transport Select Committee, Huw will be applying for debates to highlight the cause which is a cross party issue that has seen hundreds of MPs express their dismay at the actions of British Airways. Mr Merriman has asked that BA staff contact you directly to give him your support.

Many BA staff live in your constituency and we are depending on your support about this most worrying and urgent of issues. Please also visit our website www.BAbetrayal.com

I ask you to consider, is British Airways still worthy to fly the national flag and have preferential access to legacy landing slots?

Thank you for your support
Draft letter that can be sent to your MP , if anyone wishes to support us.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#326 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm

ITV News at Ten tonight! Joel Hill doing a report on BA and redundancies please *WATCH* 🤩

_Share with everyone! _

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#327 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Woody my wishes for all the best with your efforts.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#328 Post by k3k3 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Letter sent to Kevin Foster MP, best of luck.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#329 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks for your support ^:)^

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#330 Post by k3k3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:23 am

Got a reply:

Good Morning

Thank you for your e mail on 1 June regarding redundancies at British Airways, which Kevin has read.
As a Government Minister, Kevin is bound by collective responsibility, which means that he cannot participate in backbench debates or contribute to Select Committee hearings. He would be happy to meet with you individually to discuss your concerns – his regular constituency advice surgeries will be resuming on 26 June 2020. Please let me know if you would like an appointment.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Gray
Chief of Staff to Kevin Foster
Member of Parliament for Torbay and Home Office Minister for Future Borders and Immigration
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Capetonian

#331 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 am

As pointed elsewhere, to all intents and purposes I don't have an MP, since I am, by choice, not on the electoral role. My putative (*) MP has in the past ignored my correspondence to him, but I shall write again on this matter, however he is also a senior cabinet minister and I suspect that constituency matters are very much of secondary importance to him.

(*) For avoidance of doubt, this has nothing to do with whores ........ although ......!!

I received this survey related to the future of travel, in case anyone wishes to complete it. Amongst other answers, I put that the worst things about travelling are overcrowding at security and boarding, Ryanair type passengers, and overtourism of many resorts.

https://www.surveys.amadeus.com/f/41493649/3df9/
Amadeus Global Traveler Survey (I think they mean traveller)
Hi! Thank you for taking an interest in this survey.

At Amadeus we are passionate about helping people explore the world, and we’ve been powering global journeys for over three decades. We realize that COVID-19 has turned our world upside down, but we are putting our technology and expertise to work in order to make journeys possible, safe and enjoyable again.

In this survey, we will be asking you about your experience as a traveler. Whether you used to travel frequently or not, for business or for leisure, we want to learn more about your personal experiences, and understand how this pandemic could modify your habits or expectations in the future. We will be focusing on journeys which include a flight, and asking you mostly about those parts of the trip that are not quite as smooth as they should be.

Thanks in advance for helping us re-imagine travel.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#332 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#333 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

New normal?

#334 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#335 Post by Ibbie » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 am

That's the worst Donald Duck fancy dress costume I've seen for a long time. The beak should be yellow.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#336 Post by Woody » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Another BA PR disaster, serves them right :ymdevil:

Read the comments :((

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#337 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:12 pm

MoL got it right. Most people will take into account the enforcement rate will only be 1% and so they'll totally ignore the quarantine requirement.

What they should have done is to insist on compulsory testing at the point of entry to the UK. Then they should take into account the known false negative rate of 10-20% and insist on doing a follow-up unannounced test on a randomly chosen day at the stated locus of quarantine. Any no-shows at the random check should have an Arrest Warrant put in their name and when eventually found, they should be deported to an official quarantine centre somewhere like St Kilda.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#338 Post by Woody » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 am

The government should strip British Airways of its slots at Heathrow, a senior Tory MP has said.

BA plans to make up to 12,000 of its 42,000 staff redundant, and to change the employment conditions of those who keep their jobs. It blames the collapse of demand created by the coronavirus pandemic.

Huw Merriman, the Tory MP who chairs the Transport Select Committee, described the airline’s behaviour as “ethically outrageous”.

He described BA as “using this pandemic as a justification to slash jobs and employment terms.”

Mr Merriman said: “British Airways is the only airline who is sacking its entire 42,000 workforce and replacing it with 30,000 jobs on inferior terms.

Capetonian

#339 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

Vomit inducing stuff.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#340 Post by Woody » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:28 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am
Vomit inducing stuff.
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to post #336 and the comments section there of, if you are unable to access it because I’m aware that you don’t do social media, here’s a quote from TOP that’s been forwarded to me.
Cruz is clearly rattled at the tide of public opinion shifting against them and the threat of LHR slots being taken away from them (even though it’s almost certainly an empty threat). He probably oversaw the latest video doing the rounds on social media that has turned into a PR disaster with heavily negative criticism in the comments on Facebook anyway. The situation is a great watch for anyone not actively involved in the car crash that is BA and BA Public Relations right now. For sure it’ll make a great case study in years to come at Business School.