Flight deck announcement to pax

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Flight deck announcement to pax

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:31 pm

I had a discussion last nigh with a lady friend who is afraid of aircraft. After a few aviation jokes, she pointed out the flight deck crew should never mention the existence of technical problem leading to a precautionary landing as not to worry even more the pax. She said the announcement should only explain that there is a change of plans and the aircraft will land at a different airport. I told her I would ask here.

So for those of us here with airline experience what were the companies guidelines for a diversion following a technical issue?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Flight deck announcement to pax

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Say nowt.

As pax into Dalman there was moderate turbulence vabd the went round again. I don't think the screams reached the flight deck.

KLM flight from Copenhagen to Amsterdam I saw a crack in the wing. By the time the crew could have seen the crack and done anything the quickest landing would be at AMS.

I told the FA after landing. We remained behind until the captain had a look. The rest of the pax were unaware.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Two engines on fire two fallen off: 'Good morning ladies and gentlemen this is the Captain, we have a slight technical problem which is of no great concern but I would like to have it looked at on the ground before we continue to our destination. To this end we are going to pop into xxxx. Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay in getting you to yyyy but we will try to make up the time on the second sector.'

Never lie they will find out it was serious when you crash and it brings the airline into disrepute. Just be reassuring and imply that you will continue after the 'small' problem is resolved.

Alternative is to run up and down the cabin in full uniform shouting 'we are all going to die' whilst playing the funeral march on the PA.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks Ex-A a quality response much appreciated. Any other answers?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Bob Newhart?? "L&G, this is your Captain - I'm sorry if you cannot hear me over the noise of the engines - ah! That's better, they've stopped now"

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm

In 1982 (Falklands War) the C130s couldn't drop the Falcons Parachute team due to tasking so we did it with the Andover Mk!. They had buggered us about with their practical jokes all season. Last flight we chopped an engine and shouted over the PA that we had a serious problem and probably had to crash land. They all went for their parachutes so we stuck it into a negative G arched dive so that everything was floating and they couldn't do anything. Well, we thought that it was funny. =))
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm

Sometimes a bit of information from the passengers via the chain of command to the flight crew might have affected the outcome in the case of known disasters... Take the Kegworth disaster in 1989...
Many on board, including three members of cabin crew, had witnessed flames from the left-hand engine. But no-one told the pilots, even after the captain made a cabin announcement explaining the fault lay with the right-hand engine. The report called this “extremely unfortunate”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 17161.html

On the subject of famous announcements to the PAX the following one cannot be bettered for sang froid...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/capt ... led-2013-2
Here’s what Moody said:”Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.”
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Re Kegworth, it was established that there was small 'brick wall' between c/crew and f/deck which made them reluctant to 'intervene'. This was definitely not the case in DanAir :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm

TGG, it is easy to assume that cabin crew are aircrew. They can do their jobs but in the case I mentioned above the cabin member accepted what I said but was not willing to accept the report and had me remain behind to point out to the captain.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 pm

An ROV chum of mine at a then British petroleum company was on a BA flight to Nya Zillun when the lights had been dimmed for the movie to be shown.

The way he tells it, dinner scrapings had been taken away by the trolley dollys and the cabin lights had been dimmed for the movie.

He, a non-smoker, was so pissed off about what he could see what he thought was cigarette smoke in the light beams of the reading lamps in front of him and was about to push the dingdingthing to summon a cart tart to remonstrate his indignance, when the skipper made his famous cabin address:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 pm
(...)we had a serious problem and probably had to crash land. They all went for their parachutes so we stuck it into a negative G arched dive so that everything was floating and they couldn't do anything. Well, we thought that it was funny. =))
I think it is funny good knowledge of physics.

What is the story about the Dan-Air crews?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 pm

RiS wrote:What is the story about the Dan-Air crews?
A reference to the findings of the Kegworth crash. DA had a much more relaxed pilot-c/crew relationship (don't tell.................... :)) )

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#13 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:11 am

Due to Kegworth our cabin crew on Monarch were encouraged to take an active interest in the operation of the aircraft. One of my stewardesses from 10 Sqn was a trolly tart on that aircraft. She stepped out of the broken off tail with a broken arm.

Interesting one which I was impressed with. Monarch; Capt was a ret'd Lt Cdr I was the F/O. At Banjul we had to abort twice at just before V1 as all the screens went blank. The 400 pax were getting a bit twitchy. He wanted to give it a 3rd and final bash. I was running around like a headless chicken checking outside. He got out of his seat put his jacket on and stood and addressed the pax on the PA from the front of the cabin where everyone could see him. Explained exactly what was happening and chucked in his and my backgrounds. Thought that was neat. Anyway failed on the third attempt and went to sit by a swimming pool with a G&T. Everyone in uniform as it was a day trip except me because I always had a pair of swimming trunks in my nav bag. B-) Been caught out before.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 am

I think it's hard to beat the "engines stopped" announcement. I don't know how much he thought about what he was going to say before he keyed the mic, but to be able to say that calmly despite knowing it was a serious problem likely to end up with a night time swim must come out top.