BA pilots sue for having to look behind

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

BA pilots sue for having to look behind

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:43 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... necks.html

OK so is every fighter pilot past and present going to sue MOD for having to look behind? How pathetic.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BA pilots sue for having to look behind

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:27 pm

Did they never turn and look at Missie coming through the door five times per flight in the old days before doorlocks/cctv were compulsory?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:36 pm

Looks as if this guy Parry leading the case may have been a fish head pilot. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-parry-7466735a Looks like choppers though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:39 pm

Sorry for the rhetoric there guys. 'RN Pilot'. You may call me a 'crab'.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by k3k3 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:54 pm

How do they ever pass driving tests if they don't look over their shoulders before driving off?

Ex-A, I once saw a bumper sticker on a car in Leuchars in the seventies:

Fly Navy! Sail Army! Walk Sideways!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Fit a rearview mirror...

Despite the seemingly spurious nature of the claims, the issue of "office" related injuries, and health, is a serious one, and these claims may only be frivolous to those whose health has not been blighted, yet. I know an ex BA Captain whose career was brought to a premature close by a rotator cuff shoulder injury that was exacerbated by his seating position.

Surely it behooves an employer to listen to its staff when they note something in their environment that is causing them discomfort, ill health (both physical and mental), or injury. The company does have a duty of care.

There is some evidence that long haul flying isn't good for your health at the best of times, although, as ever, the results of the studies that have been made are often contradictory...

I have been privy to a large scale analysis of a North American cohort of retired airline pilots on behalf of the insurance industry... the results were very interesting.
Attachments
HumanPerf.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by k3k3 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 pm

I once read that the life expectancy of shift workers was significantly lower than that of non-shift workers.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:43 am

k3k3 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 pm
I once read that the life expectancy of shift workers was significantly lower than that of non-shift workers.
Correct and add into that jet lag. Why do you think the actuaries calculate that an airline pilot is unlikely to live very long after retiring and give us pretty good pensions. :YMPARTY: Of course the inevitable younger 2nd 3rd or 4th wife get 50% upon death.

ribrash

#9 Post by ribrash » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:10 pm

30 years of shift work.I loved it.4 on 6 off plus 38 days holiday.We were only in work for 4 months of the year.No wonder the bosses hated us doing it while they had to do a boring Mon to Fri pattern.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:50 pm

With the new dress code for BA stewards, I reckon the male pilots will get used to looking over their shoulder.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:35 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:50 pm
With the new dress code for BA stewards, I reckon the male pilots will get used to looking over their shoulder.
Standard procedure for years UP.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:46 am

...........that an airline pilot is unlikely to live very long after retiring and give us pretty good pensions...........
Define " very long " ? think I may be giving the insurers a hard time. (tough ! )
......pretty good pensions.......... wrong there, but then I didn't retire with a "pretty good" salary by modern standards, or even slightly later standards. ( retired from BA at age 48 instead of 55, big mistake, but we can all look back, )
Standard procedure for years UP.
Absolutely