Russians jamming GPS in 4 regions...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Russians jamming GPS in 4 regions...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:25 pm

According to a new report citing a French aviation official, Russia’s military is jamming airline satellite navigation near the Black Sea, eastern Finland and Kaliningrad, a small Russian province along the Baltic Sea located between Lithuania and Poland.

The satellite navigation disruption is being caused by Russian trucks with jamming equipment meant to defend Russian troops from GPS-guided munitions, Benoit Roturier, satellite navigation head of France’s civil aviation authority DGAC, told Bloomberg.

“I don’t think the goal is to jam civil aviation at this stage,” he said. “That is collateral damage.”

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2022-02

On March 17, EASA published a safety information bulletin warning pilots that spoofing and/or jamming had intensified in the four geographical areas due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“The effects of [Global Navigation Satellite System] GNSS jamming and/or possible spoofing were observed by aircraft in various phases of their flights, in certain cases leading to rerouting or even to change the destination due to the inability to perform a safe landing procedure,” EASA said in a safety information bulletin.

“Under the present conditions, it is not possible to predict GNSS outages and their effects. The magnitude of the issues generated by such outage would depend upon the extent of the area concerned, on the duration and on the phase of flight of the affected aircraft.”

On March 17, EASA published a safety information bulletin warning pilots that spoofing and/or jamming had intensified in the four geographical areas due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“The effects of [Global Navigation Satellite System] GNSS jamming and/or possible spoofing were observed by aircraft in various phases of their flights, in certain cases leading to rerouting or even to change the destination due to the inability to perform a safe landing procedure,” EASA said in a safety information bulletin.

“Under the present conditions, it is not possible to predict GNSS outages and their effects. The magnitude of the issues generated by such outage would depend upon the extent of the area concerned, on the duration and on the phase of flight of the affected aircraft.”

GPS signal interference along Finland’s eastern border with Russia.

The transportation agency said at the time it did not know what was causing the interference, which is difficult to detect on the ground or verify because of the relatively short durations of interference.

Fintraffic Air Navigation Services Ltd. issued a Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) informing pilots of the issue and instructing them to use traditional approach systems that do not require a GPS signal for flying the final approach. Airlines were also told to make their own decisions about whether or not to fly in the region.

While the jamming can be a distraction for pilots, airlines have procedures in place for when GPS signals are lost. The ability to deal with such a disruption, however, can vary due to aircraft size. While some aircraft are able to use inertial reference system (IRS) to fix the airplane’s position as a workaround for GPS, it’s a system not common on smaller aircraft, according to Mentourpilot.com.

The jamming is a wake-up call, Roturier told Bloomberg.
https://www.flyingmag.com/airlines-repo ... ur-regions

Bring back the VOR, all is forgiven the NDB! Come back LORAN.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Russians jamming GPS in 4 regions...

#2 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:22 pm

I thought NOTAM means Notice to Air Men.

How many VOR are still operational and how may aircraft are equipped to use them?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:49 pm

Going way back(!) , probably 2003, I finished up in Venice with a BA 737-400 that had dropped its database bits and bytes all over the cockpit floor, and eventually got permission to fly back non-RNAV to Gatwick, using VORs and NDBs. Even then most of the Nav waypoints were not VOR based and it was hard work! Fortunately it was not that many years since that was how I 'did' it, but for new crews....................!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:49 pm
Going way back(!) , probably 2003, I finished up in Venice with a BA 737-400 that had dropped its database bits and bytes all over the cockpit floor, and eventually got permission to fly back non-RNAV to Gatwick, using VORs and NDBs. Even then most of the Nav waypoints were not VOR based and it was hard work! Fortunately it was not that many years since that was how I 'did' it, but for new crews....................!
One assumes you had the "sheer luxury" of a steam driven VOR based HSI on the 737-400 over and above all the INS electronic jiggery pokery. The old Grumman Cougar I used to fly (many moons ago) had a VOR based RNAV... it was a revelation to me and it was like manna from heaven. The average glass cockpit in a light Cirrus (for example) these days, knocks all that stuff into a cocked hat, that is, until ADS-B stops working!

I was actually glad of the VOR in the spam can last month as I returned from Welshpool, as Sky Demon simply stopped working and I had to thread the needle south of the Stansted Zone. There is a working VOR on the home airfield.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm

So who's jamming Glonass? :-B

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:03 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm
Nobody apart from the errant barbarians use Glonass! :p

Jam away say I...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:15 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:22 pm

How many VOR are still operational and how may aircraft are equipped to use them?
Another journalistic faux pas. Your are quite correct RIS!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:26 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:

That is an interesting question, which I don't know the answer to, so, being the nerd I am, I am going to ask the CAA , who no doubt, will point me to NATS, or some other quango!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Wodrick » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:50 pm

It's 14 years since I retired now the VOR network was still active then and all a/c I dealt with were VOR (mostly dual) equipped.
Many also were GPS capable so would RNAV around the world rather than VOR hopping.
I expect this is still the case as by no means are all a/c GPS equipped so VOR/NDB will still be the order of the day for some time to come.
Therefore independent navigation sans GPS is still possible, no big deal.

Take VHF Coms, Aircraft Still use AM VHF, and , while I know there is a very specific reason for this, it is still decades out of date.

Not Loran please not Loran, thankfully shutdown.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:04 am

Wodrick wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:50 pm
It's 14 years since I retired now the VOR network was still active then and all a/c I dealt with were VOR (mostly dual) equipped.
Many also were GPS capable so would RNAV around the world rather than VOR hopping.
I expect this is still the case as by no means are all a/c GPS equipped so VOR/NDB will still be the order of the day for some time to come.
Therefore independent navigation sans GPS is still possible, no big deal.

Take VHF Coms, Aircraft Still use AM VHF, and , while I know there is a very specific reason for this, it is still decades out of date.

Not Loran please not Loran, thankfully shutdown.
All I can say, is if you fly in Africa be happy to find a NDB (even these days), if you can, but you know that anyway! ;)))

I didn't put that very well. NDB's are still an important part of the nav. situation in some areas.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:44 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
NOTAMs became Notices to air missions fairly recently.
Apparently, someone took offense at the 'men' part.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:44 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
NOTAMs became Notices to air missions fairly recently.
Apparently, someone took offense at the 'men' part.

PP
Thanks for elucidating PHX. That one had passed me by completely.

Sounds like a whacked out Christian sect. We live in an odd world!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:03 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm
Nobody apart from the errant barbarians use Glonass! :p

I must confess that almost 40 years ago I did use Glonass.

It was an odd job. I was taken by two soldiers of boat troop of a British army outfit up the Mekong to gather samples of vegetation. We were in mufti of course and our legend was that we were amateur botanists. No useable NavStar (the proper name for what people wrongly call "GPS") in those days, so I was given a picnic hamper sized Glonass receiver. It was surprisingly accurate and almost a decade ahead of its imitator(s). Much more accurate than the subsequent US effort was when that was still deliberately degraded by the absurd "Selective Availability".

Long story, but we were initially tasked to proceed to Luong Prabang. There we were met by a somewhat mysterious Septic bloke who took our botanical samples and gave us new instructions to proceed upriver to Luong Ketong. Along the way of that sector we found what we were looking for and took copious samples.

There had been a major anti-Russian propaganda op (sound familiar?) which pretended that the pesky Russians were using chemical warfare against the people. According to the bollox, which was no doubt believed by its intended audience, the 'baddies' were spraying something called yellow rain. This was long before the Skripal/Miller/Steele golden rain propaganda thing. Incredibly unless you've actually met these wallies, they started to believe their own propaganda when people started to get sick in the area at a time when there had been some yellowish residue noticed on some vegetation.

As a beekeeper, I immediately recognised it for what it was.

Our samples were sent to a chemwar biolab (probably not one of the US-sponsored ones in Ukraine, but something similar) where it was found that a toxin was produced by a fungal growth which thrives in ***** at a certain temperature and humidity. It was that toxin which was making people sick, not a dastardly Russian plot to take over the world and enslave us all by inflicting an addiction to Roubles.

Errant Barbarian

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:07 am

Bring back the VOR, all is forgiven the NDB! Come back LORAN.
Even INS ? Consol ? Radio Range ? The Navigator ?

And whilst your at it, the red telephone box that needed two pennies to be inserted before pressing button A. We survived, and built the present world that our present digital whizzkids have the privilege of enjoying - and are unable to function if the electrons are switched off. Sad state of affairs.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:12 am

Chart and thumb?

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:22 am

Chart and thumb?
Try telling them.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:39 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 am

Our samples were sent to a chemwar biolab (probably not one of the US-sponsored ones in Ukraine, but something similar) where it was found that a toxin was produced by a fungal growth which thrives in *sh*t* at a certain temperature and humidity. It was that toxin which was making people sick, not a dastardly Russian plot to take over the world and enslave us all by inflicting an addiction to Roubles.

Errant Barbarian
Errant, probably, yes!

Barbarian? Definitely not! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."