American Airlines Abolishing First Class

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

American Airlines Abolishing First Class

#1 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:38 pm

It appears that AA customers don't want to pay for First Class seats, so they're being removed in favour of more business class seats on long-haul flights.

https://www.chron.com/life/travel/artic ... 532958.php
American Airlines will no longer offer first class seats on long-haul international flights, according to airline officials.

Executives with the Dallas-based carrier announced the sweeping decision during an investor call last Thursday. As reported by Insider's Stephen Jones, American plans to replace the premium fare level with more business-class offerings, citing a lack of demand as the driving reason.

"First class will not exist on the 777, or for that matter at American Airlines, for the simple reason that our customers aren't buying it," said American Airlines chief commercial officer Vasu Raja, per Jones. The replacement of first class with additional business offerings will allow the carrier to provide "what our customers most want or are willing to pay for," Raja continued.

American Airlines will continue to offer first class seats on domestic and short-haul international flights as it overhauls its long-distance international offerings. In September, the carrier unveiled its forthcoming "Flagship Suite" class—a "private premium experience in the sky" that includes a lie-down bed with a privacy door and personal storage. American will roll out the new ultra-premium fare in 2024 aboard new Airbus A321XLRs and Boeing 787-9 model planes, part of a larger campaign undertaken by the airline to increase its premium seat offerings by 45 percent by 2026. (continues)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: American Airlines Abolishing First Class

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:36 pm

I flew the A321T (Transcon) a few times
10 First Class
20 Biz
72 in Coach

Haven't ridden in the back yet but I understand it is easy to snag at least a biz seat, as staff, because I don't think they allow upgrades based on points or status.

The only benefit to working those flights was the better First Class food as crew meals. That and 4-5 legs total on a four day trip

PP

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:32 am

Managed to score an upgrade to First Class a few times. Best time was on a JAL flight Sydney to Osaka. (many years ago)

I found that the main difference twixt Cattle and First was;

In Economy the F/A's called you 'Sir.'

In First they also called you 'Sir' but they actually meant it! :D

Oh, and the seats/food/booze etc was of course better in First.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:48 am

Good grief! They're bad enough in the cheap seats, and business class is no great shakes. I've always considered it an airline to avoid. I did once travel up the front - from Memphis to Miami. I had had a very busy day at our 'facility' in Little Rock and missed lunch. The commuter flight from Litle Rock to Memphis didn't do catering. It was a 757 between Memphis and Miami and the flight time was about 2.5 hours. After take-off, a flight attendant came and asked me if I would like a drink, so I ordered a G&T, which was delivered with a couple of packets of peanuts. About 20 mins later, she returned and asked if I would like another, to which I of course agreed, asking when the meal service would commence. "Sir, we no longer do meal service on flights under four hours," I was told.
"What, even in First Class?"
"Yessir."
"Best you bring a couple more G&Ts and lots of peanuts, then." (She did).