Why do they do it?...

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Why do they do it?...

#1 Post by EA01 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:34 am

I suspect I know the answer, but anyway...

On board HA451 the other day, HNL - SYD.....departs HNL at 12:45 Friday afternoon.....which is 09:00 Saturday East Coast Australia. Crew rush through the first service, then make an announcement about closing window shades.

Now, if returning to East coast Oz time zone, a flight commencing at 09:00 destination time would be a perfect opportunity to 'Fly through the day'....arrival is at 19:45 local (23:45 at HNL), the last 2 hours or so are in darkness.

No no, crew make an announcement to close all blinds.....well I don't, I just keep staring out my open window!.....a few people tried to sleep I think, others like Mrs Fliegs watched shows / movies etc.

I wondered if these people routinely lock themselves into a dark room from about 10:30am until after dark on other Saturdays throughout the year? So, yes at the end of the flight it is late at the departure City but relatively early at the arrival City. I was exposed to a full day of natural light while others were cooped up in darkness, at a time utterly wrong for their Destination City.

I had a lovely time gazing out over the Pacific, observing cloud formations etc etc. as every other Pacific crossing I've done has been in complete darkness!

(Incidentally, the same thing happened the day before flying JFK to HNL, again flying to the East, again through the middle of the day, similarly, I enjoyed splendid views right across the Continental US, and on across the Pacific, crew wanted windows down, I explained my IFE was the window!)

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Why do they do it?...

#2 Post by EA01 » Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 am

ok, 24 views and not a single reply??...wrong forum ??

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun May 28, 2023 12:35 pm

EA01 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 am
ok, 24 views and not a single reply??...wrong forum ??
No not the wrong forum, but your first comment in your OP said it all! :D

So basically someone has decided that it saves money and makes life a lot easier for the cabin crew if an 11hour day flight is treated as a night flight. :-q
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun May 28, 2023 3:34 pm

Enough about the flights.
What was going on in between them? :-?

PP

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by EA01 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 am

....A couple of Vodka Tonics....something to eat & bed,......

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by barkingmad » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:31 am

EAO1, not the wrong thread, just a suitable location to query the madness which currently infects the head offices of airlines around the World.

I was beginning to believe sincerely that I was the only nutter in the village, but news items such as this give me that warm wet feeling I am not alone and there are others suffering from serious delusions;

https://thenewconservative.co.uk/lgbtqwerty-airlines/. :)) =))

As if they don’t have enough problems such as WFH, fuel prices, hot weather and pilots keeling over in flight*, the airlines do have the capacity and money to squander on virtue-signalling fads such as the rainbow flag craze which now infects even railway rolling stock in the UK.

* Pilots have traditionally keeled over inflight, though traditionally not as many as in the last 3 years.
We must presume this phenomenon is due to Glowball Warming or maybe solar flares but it’s really nothing to fret about.