Passengers Behaving Badly

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Passengers Behaving Badly

#61 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:43 pm

Flight makes emergency landing in Florida when arguing couple mentions bomb, airline says

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... rylink=cpy

UPDATE: A 41-year-old Rhode Island man was charged with false information and threats regarding the possession of an explosive on an airplane, according to a Dec. 7 news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Federal officials said the man told his “travel companion” that he had concerns about the airline and hoped the plane wouldn’t “go down” before getting on the flight, according to the release. Once the plane was in the air, the man stood up and said he wanted to get off the plane, before saying his companion had brought a bomb on the flight, federal officials said. The original story continues below. A Breeze Airways flight from Florida to Rhode Island made an emergency landing in Jacksonville when an argument between a couple on board escalated until one mentioned a bomb, the airline said. Breeze flight 717 was scheduled to fly from Orlando to Providence on Dec. 5 but never made it to its destination, airline spokesperson Gareth Edmondson-Jones told McClatchy News in an email. Passengers on board said a couple had been arguing before they boarded the plane and the argument continued as the flight took off, WJAX reported. About 45 minutes into the flight, the argument escalated, the airline said, until it became “a perceived security threat.” Other passengers said they overheard the couple mention a bomb, news outlets reported and the airline confirmed. “The guy said I’ll tell people you have a bomb in your bag and she said I’ll tell them you have weapons on you,” passenger Rachel Corrigan told WJAX. Another passenger, Tanya McGinn, told WJXT the flight staff were alerted to the threat when a father and daughter asked to be moved because they overheard the conversation. “Breeze Airways Flight 717 landed safely at Jacksonville International Airport around 6 p.m. local time on Dec. 5, after the crew reported a passenger disturbance,” the Federal Aviation Administration told McClatchy News in an email. “The FAA will investigate.” On the ground, the flight was met by FBI agents who investigated the threat and said it was believed to not be credible, WESH reported. Videos shared by WJXT show the couple being led off the flight in handcuffs, and the outlet reports the couple was arrested. “Ladies and gentlemen, I apologize for messing up your travel plans,” the man involved in the argument is heard saying in the video. The couple is likely facing federal charges and a ban from the airline, the outlet reported. The rest of the passengers were rescheduled for a flight the next day. “Breeze provided overnight accommodations for all impacted guests and will fly them to their original destination, Providence, (on Dec. 6),” the airline said. “The flight is expected to depart from Jacksonville at 11:30 a.m. and land in Providence at 3:30 p.m.”

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:17 am

TSA agents stop man who tried to sneak bullets through in a baby diaper
The Arkansas man was bound for Chicago when 17 bullets hidden in a disposable diaper triggered the airport security X-ray machine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ma ... rcna130722

It was a loaded diaper, but not like you would think.

Security officers found 17 bullets concealed inside a disposable baby diaper Wednesday at New York’s LaGuardia Airport, the Transportation Security Administration said.

Officers pulled the otherwise clean diaper from a passenger’s carry-on bag after it triggered an alarm in an X-ray machine at an airport security checkpoint, the TSA said.

According to the agency, the passenger initially claimed he didn’t know how the bullet-filled diaper ended up in his bag. Later he suggested his girlfriend put it there, the agency said.

The TSA identified the passenger as a man from Arkansas who was ticketed for a flight to Chicago’s Midway Airport but did not disclose his name. Port Authority police cited him for unlawful possession of the 9mm ammunition.

Messages seeking details were left with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, and the Queens district attorney’s office.

The diaper disguiser is just the latest LaGuardia passenger to be flagged for packing bullets — and sometimes heat. It’s a problem that has cropped up at airports across the U.S.

Last month, TSA officers found a .45-caliber pistol and a magazine loaded with six bullets concealed in a pair of Nike sneakers in a checked bag at LaGuardia. Firearms are allowed to be transported as checked luggage, but only in a locked, hard-sided container — not shoes.

In January 2021, officers at a security checkpoint intercepted 13 bullets hidden in a Mentos chewing gum container inside a carry-on bag. The bullets were mixed in with pieces of gum, the TSA said. The passenger, who was charged with unlawful possession of ammunition, claimed the bag belonged to his son, the agency said.

In April, officers pulled a loaded .22-caliber pistol and two boxes of ammunition — more than 100 bullets total — from a carry-on bag. That passenger claimed he had been at a shooting range and forgot to remove the gun and bullets before heading to the airport, the TSA said. He was still arrested.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:42 pm

A Twofer:

American Airlines traveller restrained by passengers and crew during meltdown at Rio de Janeiro

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/amer ... e-janeiro/

Before boarding American Airlines flight AA948 from Rio de Janeiro Galeao to Miami Friday night (29 December), an unidentified man had a meltdown, shouting for help and making alarming statements in Spanish.

The passengers and crew had to step in, using duct tape to restrain the man after he became disruptive and started screaming. The situation was intense, with the man resisting and shouting, but eventually, the group managed to subdue him until airport security intervened.

Despite the chaos which delayed the departure by 20 minutes, the flight (operated by Boeing 777-200 registered N787AL) surprisingly landed in Miami 13 minutes ahead of schedule.

Couple has airport meltdown over dogs after flight home is delayed: ‘Remember the girls’
Couple accused airline of ‘not caring’ about the dogs

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 70515.html

A couple has gone viral for accusing American Airlines staff of keeping them from their dogs after their flight was delayed.

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/Y5uRheR5

The married couple from Florida, identified by the DailyMail as 42-year-old Dustin Miller and 40-year-old Anthony Thorne, were recently filmed during a public outburst at Charlotte Douglas Airport. In the since-deleted video, which was initially shared on TikTok, Miller could be seen yelling: “American Airlines f***ed us over!”

The clip began with Miller angrily speaking to American Airlines staff as his husband, holding a Louis Vuitton bag, urged Miller to “remember your girls” - later revealed to be their pet dogs, Shelby and Dolly.

“You don’t care about the girls, you don’t care about the girls,” Thorne reiterated, seemingly trying to calm down Miller. However, the Fort Lauderdale-based accountant announced to fellow passengers at the gate: “Hello, everybody! American Airlines f***ed us over!”

His husband then repeated the names of their pet dogs, saying: “Shelby and Dolly. Shelby and Dolly. Shelby and Dolly, remember them. I’m just trying to get home to the girls.”

Towards the end of the video, Miller could be seen yelling expletives at a woman sitting in a wheelchair, who was also waiting to board the flight to Fort Lauderdale. The woman appeared to tell the couple to “go away,” to which Miller replied: “F*** off, bitch.”

American Airlines flight AA321 from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, was delayed and ultimately cancelled on 27 December, according to FlightAware. A subsequent flight took off from Charlotte later that day at 11.08pm ET, landing in Fort Lauderdale the following morning at 1.03am ET.

“Flight AA321 from CLT to FLL was first delayed and ultimately cancelled last night so they did not make it home to the girls,” one person wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, where the deleted TikTok was reposted.

Miller works as an accountant at Sykes & Company, according to his LinkedIn. He has been married to Thorne for nine years and they reside in Wilton Manors, Florida. Thorne works as an executive senior associate at healthcare consulting firm Rudish Health in Fort Lauderdale, his LinkedIn states. The couple recently celebrated their nine-year wedding anniversary, the DailyMail reported.

It’s possible the names Shelby and Dolly are in reference to the 1989 movie Steel Magnolias, in which one of the characters, played by Julia Roberts, is named Shelby and Dolly Parton plays the part of Truvy Jones.

The Independent has contacted American Airlines for comment.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:18 pm

A passenger boarded a Boeing 777, then opened a door and fell out of the plane

https://www.businessinsider.com/passeng ... ada-2024-1

An Air Canada passenger boarded a Boeing 777 and then opened a cabin door, Global News reported.
The person fell onto the tarmac below, and emergency services were called.
The incident delayed the flight's departure to Dubai by about six hours.

An Air Canada passenger opened an aircraft door and fell about 20 feet to the ground, Global News first reported.

An airline representative told Business Insider the incident involved a Boeing 777 at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

The spokesperson said the passenger "boarded the aircraft normally" but then opened a cabin door instead of going to their seat.

The representative added that the person sustained injuries from the fall and emergency services were called.

Data from Flightradar24, a flight-tracking site, shows Monday's flight from Toronto to Dubai took off almost six hours late. It was scheduled to have 319 passengers on board.

An airline representative said: "We can confirm all of our approved boarding and cabin operating procedures were followed; we continue to review the incident."

It's the second time in less than a week that a passenger's unusual behavior has delayed one of the airline's flights.

On January 3, Air Canada diverted a flight after a 16-year-old passenger assaulted a family member, police said.

Police said other passengers and crew on the flight from Toronto to Calgary, Alberta, restrained the teen, who was arrested and taken to a hospital.

After being on the ground in Winnipeg, Manitoba, for about two hours, the flight landed in Calgary about three hours late.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:49 pm

He Who Denied It Supplied It: American Airlines Returns To Gate To Remove Gassy Passenger

https://viewfromthewing.com/he-who-deni ... passenger/

On Sunday, an American Airlines passenger from Phoenix to Austin was removed from the aircraft for passing gas – and talking about it with other passengers in the cabin.

As one of the customers on the plane shared the not safe for work, work from home, or polite company story:

[A]s soon as he sat down he was grumbling about something under his breath… Several minutes pass and majority of people are seated but we still hadn’t left the gate. I overhear him loudly say “You thought that was rude? Well how about this smell” and farted.

…[W]hile kinda funny to overhear, it was uncalled for especially coming from a grown man on an airplane nonetheless. …[T]he guy seated next to me and I exchanged smiles and shook our heads. It’s early evening and several people are having snacks or eating food…. The man who just purposefully farted moments ago decides to loudly and condescendingly say “yeah, everybody let’s just eat the smelliest food possible all at the same time”.

A guy in the row over replied, “if you don’t like it you can fly private” to which [passenger] says “that’s so [expletive] rude”, and another person nearby chimes in “I think we’d all agree you’re the rude one here.” [Passenger] replies something like “that’s just so low class” and the other guy rebuttals with “well you’re back here in economy with the rest of us” lol.

…The plane is finally taxiing towards the runway but comes to a stop. An announcement comes over saying “apologies for the interruption but we are returning to the gate, we will give you more info when we have it.” We get back to the gate and a stewardess comes back and informs [passenger] that he will not be staying on this flight. He simply replies, “I don’t understand” and she tells him they’ll talk about it off the plane. He gets up, grabs his bag and quietly exits the plane.

Fortunately “the trip was only delayed by 15-30 minutes,” and the customer is nothing but complimentary of American’s handling over the man who both smelt it and dealt it.

American Airlines Gate With Flight Headed From Phoenix to Austin

An American flight, by the way, was once forced to make an emergency landing when a passenger lit a match to cover their flatulence. American really will remove passengers for foul body odor.

On the other hand, American gave out free bowls of chili to flight attendants before their trips to encourage them not to picket, and to… well, not exactly improve customer service, right?

One Kenyan lawmaker even proposed to tackle the problem of too many passengers passing gas inflight. Here’s why it happen so much on planes (and what you can do about it). Although I sort of think it happens most with flights departing Washington’s National airport and not because Members of Congress and their staffs are full of hot air:

Changes in air pressure cause the body to produce more gas. An average person does this 10 times a day anyway without changes in altitude even. Cheap slimline seats are even worse because the material they’re made of isn’t absorbent.

Avoid fried foods, cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts. Consider taking gas-x or beano if you’re especially prone to the issue. And if your seat mate passes gas, try to ignore it, what else can you really do?

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by llondel » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:26 pm

Having the air on full from the overhead nozzle helps a lot.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Woody » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:12 pm

Travel J Class, much more space away from your fellow passengers.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by probes » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:58 am

Btw, I've been wondering - if there's an emergency and you're not dead and have to evacuate, you are not supposed to take your things (like the last textbook example in Japan... I think it was). So, what about my handbag on my lap - should I take it, is the point that I shouldn't try to grab anything from the overhead compartment? As it takes the valuable seconds?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:46 pm

I agree with you, but there is some comment occasionally about having hands free to deal with the slide, but they tell you to "jump" not "climb down", and I wouldn't object to sliding down upside down without the use of hands, if that happened, providing that I got out uninjured.

Being Male I don't have a handbag ! and my Carry-on is usually in the overhead locker, so bye bye, but I wear multi pocketed trousers and shirt, and ensure all valuable items, like passport, tickets, wallet and anything else that I can sensibly carry is with me at all times once past security.

I would not be "Kind" to anyone blocking the aisle accessing, or having accessed, the overhead locker.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 pm

Perhaps one of this company's products along the lines of this vest would work.

https://www.scottevest.com/products/bes ... st-for-men

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#71 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:22 am

probes wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:58 am
Btw, I've been wondering - if there's an emergency and you're not dead and have to evacuate, you are not supposed to take your things (like the last textbook example in Japan... I think it was). So, what about my handbag on my lap - should I take it, is the point that I shouldn't try to grab anything from the overhead compartment? As it takes the valuable seconds?
As Speedy says as long as hands are free so a handbag slung around your neck would be OK. It is accessing overhead lockers which is the no no.

i have done slides a few times, for training purposes, they are no great deal. I liked the A300 evacuation drill sure it is the same in many other types. Capt and F/O exit through DV windows on the inertial reels and assist pax at bottom of forward slides. A real 'follow me'.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:51 am

Maybe, maybe not! :-?

A man was arrested after opening a plane's emergency exit door. His fellow passengers say he saved their lives.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/nat ... 950dda7166

Dozens of fellow passengers signed a written statement saying the airline made them wait for hours without ventilation or water while the flight was delayed.

MEXICO CITY, Mexico — At first it sounds like a typical case of bad behavior aboard airplanes.

The Mexico City International Airport acknowledged in a statement Friday that a man had opened an emergency exit and walked out on a wing of a plane that was parked and waiting for takeoff Thursday.

The airport said the man had been turned over to police.

But dozens of fellow passengers signed a written copy of a statement saying the airline made them wait for four hours without ventilation or water while the flight was delayed. According to photos of the statement posted online, fellow passengers said he acted “to protect everyone, with the support of everyone.”

The airport said in a statement that "yesterday a passenger on a flight to Guatemala opened an emergency door on a plane while it was stationary at a remote position, stood on a wing and then re-entered the cabin, without affecting the aircraft or anyone else.”

“In line with international security regulations, this person turned himself over to the authorities,” it said.

At least 77 passengers aboard the AeroMexico flight to Guatemala signed a statement handwritten on notebook paper, photos of which were posted on social media, supporting the man's actions.

“The delay and lack of air created conditions that endangered the health of the passengers. He saved our lives,” according to the statement.

An incident report filed with airport authorities largely confirmed that version.

“Around 11:37 a.m., a Mexican airline reported the beginning of a disturbance due to passenger discontent on flight AM672,” according to the report. “The flight had been due to lift off at 8:45 a.m. Thursday, but because of a maintenance alert on the plane, the captain had to return to the gate for the required maintenance.”

“The passengers were unhappy and one of them opened the emergency door and stepped out on the wing,” the report said. “This event required the plane to be changed.”

Airport authorities did not identify the man, and they declined to comment on whether he remains in custody or faces charges.

Flight tracking sites confirmed that flight AM672 to Guatemala City was delayed for 4 hours and 56 minutes Thursday.

A video apparently recorded aboard the flight showed passengers fanning themselves and asking a flight attendant for water.

AeroMexico did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:53 am

An older passenger tried to open the door of a Boeing 787 while it was flying over the Atlantic Ocean

https://www.businessinsider.com/elderly ... tic-2024-1

An older passenger tried to open a plane door above the Atlantic Ocean, police said.
He wasn't charged as police said they determined he was "in a state of crisis and confusion."
It's the third peculiar incident this month on an Air Canada flight.

An older man tried to open a plane door while flying over the Atlantic Ocean, Canada's CityNews reported.

Another passenger aboard Sunday's Air Canada flight from London to Toronto told the outlet he was "acting strange" throughout the journey.

They added that the pilot told everybody to stay in their seats upon landing.

Related stories

A passenger boarded a Boeing 777, then opened a door and fell out of the plane

An Air Canada plane was diverted and delayed 3 hours after a 16-year-old assaulted a family member midflight, police say

An 'intoxicated' passenger bit an attendant on a flight from Japan to Seattle, forcing the plane to turn around

Officers from the Peel Regional Police boarded the Boeing 787 Dreamliner after it landed in Toronto and spoke with the man but decided not to press charges.

"The passenger, an elderly male, had been in a state of crisis and confusion and it does not appear that his actions were intentional," Constable Tyler Bell-Morena said in a statement to CityNews.

"No criminal charges have been laid, the man and his family have been connected with additional resources," Bell-Morena added.

Emergency doors on commercial aircraft are designed to be impossible to open at high altitudes. They're sealed shut because the cabin pressure is much higher than the outside air pressure.

It's the third peculiar incident this month on an Air Canada flight.

Two weeks earlier, a passenger boarded a Boeing 777, opened a door, and fell out of the plane onto the tarmac.

And on January 3, a flight to Calgary, Alberta, was diverted after police said a 16-year-old assaulted a family member.

Unlike those incidents, Sunday's flight was able to continue to its destination without delay.

In a statement, Air Canada said: "Our crews are experienced and managed the situation appropriately, allowing the flight to continue normally to its destination."

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:45 pm

JetBlue: Unruly customer restrained by other passengers on flight from London to NYC
The chaos, which apparently was captured on video and posted online, occurred on JetBlue flight 1926 which landed Tuesday at John F. Kennedy International Airport where the passenger was turned over to law enforcement, the airline said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/je ... rcna136851

An alleged unruly customer aboard a JetBlue Airways flight on Tuesday was restrained by multiple passengers and then was turned over to law enforcement upon landing in New York City from London, the airline said.

The chaotic scene was apparently captured on video and posted on Instagram.

JetBlue said in a Thursday statement the incident occurred on flight 1926 from London to New York City.

The name of the alleged rowdy passenger was not released by the airline. JetBlue also didn’t specify if the passenger was arrested upon the flight landing at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

According to the flight-tracking site, FlightAware, the flight, which took off seven minutes early, landed 26 minutes early at 3:16 p.m.

The incident occurred when the passenger “began acting erratically and aggressively toward his travel companion and members of the inflight crew,” the statement said.

The crew found an “open bottle of liquor the customer brought onboard and indications of intoxication,” JetBlue said.

“For everyone’s safety, the customer was restrained with the assistance of other customers who were witnessing this threatening behavior. The flight landed safely at New York’s JFK Airport where it was met by law enforcement who took over the situation. We appreciate our customers’ assistance and understanding during this incident and apologize for the experience,” the statement said.

Apparent video of the incident shows at least four men attempting to physically restrain another man aboard the flight. While the men are trying to get the passenger under control, multiple people are seen standing up as the tussle moves from the aisle, into an aisle seat and then back into the aisle.

People are heard shouting orders, like “I need you to back up.” A woman is also on the video and appears to say, “Babe, babe, stop fighting them! Stop fighting them! Babe!”

Shortly after, a man, who is attempting to physically restrain the passenger, also is heard saying, “Take him down!”

At times, the men trying to subdue the passenger move their arms and hands toward the man’s head and neck as he tries to wiggle free. What appears to be a woman's voice is also heard sobbing, according to the video.

JetBlue did not immediately respond Thursday afternoon to a question about whether the Instagram video was shot aboard flight 1926.

The Port Authority police about 3:15 p.m. on Tuesday received a report of a disturbance aboard JetBlue flight 1926. The plane landed safely at JFK and no arrest was made by them, an agency representative said on Thursday.

Other videos that circulated around Thanksgiving, captured passengers allegedly causing chaos aboard two Frontier Airlines’ flights, one in which a woman pulled her pants down, horrifying onlookers. Another video showed a passenger yelling, midflight, she was being kidnapped.

Bad behavior on commercial flights rose 47% globally in 2022 compared with the previous year, according to data released in June by the International Air Transport Association, an airline trade group.

In April, federal officials said they referred more than 250 unruly airline passengers to the FBI for possible criminal prosecution since late 2021.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm

Fight breaks out on Southwest flight headed to Hawaii
The incident, which was captured on video, happened on flight 1288 from Oakland, California, to Lihue, Hawaii. Two men were detained.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fi ... rcna138808

Video captured two passengers in a fistfight Monday on a Southwest flight bound for Hawaii.

The incident happened on a plane leaving out of Oakland, California, and the two men were detained, NBC Bay Area reported.

The video shows a man in a baseball cap standing in the aisle of the plane and squaring off with a man standing in a row of seats. The second man appears to slap the first on his arm before the former responds by throwing a punch at his face with his right arm and then several more punches.

Surrounding passengers attempt to intervene, with one yelling, "No way, no way!" By the end of the clip, it appears that another male passenger was able to get between the two fighting passengers by ushering the man with a baseball cap toward the back of the plane.

"Our reports indicate that two Customers became disruptive onboard flight 1288 from Oakland to Lihue," Southwest Airlines said in a statement. "We commend our Crew and Customers for their professionalism in diffusing this situation. Our number one priority is the Safety and well-being of our Customers and Employees. The flight landed safely at its scheduled destination, and local authorities met the aircraft upon arrival."

It's unclear if the detained men were charged, NBC Bay Area reported.

Users were quick to jump into the comments with thoughts about the two passengers’ behavior.

"How could someone get mad on a flight to Hawaii?!?" one user asked in the post's comment section.

"Quickest way to ensure you never step foot on a commercial flight ever again," another replied.

In April 2023, a passenger captured the moment a man lost his cool on a Southwest Airlines flight to Florida. In the clip, the unidentified passenger could be seen yelling at flight attendants for nearly 3 minutes over a crying baby.

“You’re yelling,” a flight attendant can be heard telling the agitated passenger in the video.

“So is the baby!” the man replied.

Video shows man punch a passenger on Southwest Airlines flight
MARCH 9, 202303:16
The previous month, chaos erupted aboard a Southwest Airlines plane in Dallas when one passenger unleashed a torrent of punches on another in an attack captured in viral video.

While Dallas police officers responded to the plane at Love Field, no arrests were made.

On a United Airlines flight that same month, a passenger filmed a fellow passenger on board attempting to stab a flight attendant with a spoon he tried to make into a weapon.

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:37 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:16 am

At least the maggots were still at the crawling stage and hadn't taken flight.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:11 pm

Man duct-taped on flight to Chicago after trying to open door, passengers say

https://abc7.com/american-airlines-flig ... /14452730/

CHICAGO -- Video from passengers shows a man getting duct-taped after a flight from Albuquerque to Chicago was disrupted Tuesday.

American Airlines flight 1219 was heading to O'Hare Airport from Albuquerque, New Mexico, didn't make it very far after an unruly passenger tried to open the plane door midway thru the flight:

The flight was headed to Chicago Tuesday afternoon. The plane made it up to 26,000 feet when a man onboard tried to open a plane door.

That's when airline staff and passengers jumped in, tackled the man, duck-taped him and forcefully restrained him until the plane could land safely back in Albuquerque.

Blaze Ward was one of the first passengers to wrestle the man down.

"He already had the safety mechanism down and had both hands on the lever and he was like yanking it and he was a big dude and he had it pretty well pulled and I don't know if you can hear it, but there was a difference in pressure, a whistling," Ward said.

The unruly passenger was later taken into custody by police who met the plane when it landed.

According to a statement from the FAA the flight returned, "safely to Albuquerque International Sunport Airport" after the crew, "reported a passenger disturbance."

The FBI is also now stepping in to investigate.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:48 pm

Passenger stabs fellow traveler with weapon of pens and rubber bands on Seattle-to-Vegas flight
Julio Alvarez Lopez is accused of fashioning the handmade weapon before launching an unprovoked attack against a man seated across the aisle.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... rcna140003

A passenger aboard a Las Vegas-bound flight fashioned a weapon out of pens and rubber bands and stabbed a fellow passenger in a bloody, unprovoked attack, officials said Thursday.

Injured passenger identified by the initials "C.R."USDC District of Nevada
Julio Alvarez Lopez was charged with one count of assault with a deadly weapon stemming from the Jan. 24 attack aboard Alaska Airlines Flight 604, which had left Seattle at 6:10 a.m., authorities said.

"The aircraft landed safely, and law enforcement took one passenger into custody after the plane arrived at the gate," the airline said in statement to NBC News on Thursday. "We’re thankful for our crew for their professionalism in the handling of the incident."

Lopez had been acting "fidgety," a person sitting next to him told investigators, before going to the bathroom late in the flight and returning to launch an attack on the man seated across the aisle, according to a complaint by FBI Special Agent Anthony Needler.

There was "blood everywhere," according to Lopez's seat neighbor.

Lopez eventually stopped the stabbing, dropped the homemade weapon, moved toward the front of the plane, yelled, "I'll only talk to the FBI," and took an empty seat, according to the complaint.

The court document included pictures of the unidentified victim, who appeared to have bruises and cuts around his right eye.

Pens wrapped in rubber bands.USDC District of Nevada
"The defendant armed himself with pens wrapped in rubber bands," the complaint said. "The defendant stated, 'I planned on attacking and killing him.'"

Lopez was restrained and taken into custody when the Boeing 737-900 landed at Terminal 3 of Harry Reid International Airport, officials said.

Lopez had never met the victim, yet believed him to be a cartel agent following him, authorities said.

"The defendant felt the Mafia had been chasing him the last few months," the complaint said.

The victim, identified only by the initials C.R., just happened to be a sworn law enforcement officer, though the complaint did not list the agency that employs him.

The victim's wife was also hurt in the attack as she was shielding the couple's 7-year-old son, officials said.

"During the interview, the defendant admitted to the FBI agents that he was trying to stab C.R. in the eye to reach C.R.'s brain to kill him," according to the complaint.

Lopez's federal public defender could not be immediately reached for comment on Thursday.

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Woody » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:15 pm

They should have to pay the diversion costs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68448386