Nice Tailwind!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Nice Tailwind!

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:08 pm

American Airlines flight reaches 840 mph and possible world record
The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed early due to strong tailwinds in its flight path.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ld-record/

An American Airlines flight from Philadelphia to Doha, Qatar reached 840 mph and landed almost 30 minutes early due to strong tailwinds, which could shatter a world record.

On Saturday, American Flight 120 on a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner took off from Philadelphia around 9:25 p.m. Eastern and landed at 4:57 p.m. in Doha, according to FlightAware. The Fort Worth-based airline confirmed the flight landed approximately 30 minutes early due to the strong tailwinds midflight. The same flight on Sunday also arrived about 30 minutes early due to the tailwinds.

According to FlightAware, the flight’s jet stream, or winds in the upper levels of the atmosphere, reached 265 mph. The flight’s ground speed was above the speed of sound of 767 miles per hour but didn’t make a sonic boom because it was moving at normal cruising speed in relation to the air around it.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records’ website, the fastest transatlantic flight on a commercial airplane was a flight from New York to London-Heathrow, which was last recorded on a British Airways flight on Feb. 9, 2020. An extratropical cyclone occurred in the plane’s flight path, but the air mass around the plane was moving up to 260 mph. That led to the plane traveling at 825 mph with its surroundings, according to the World Records’ website.

Guinness Book of World Records officials did not respond immediately to a request for confirmation of a record break.

The overall record for the fastest transatlantic flight is held by the retired supersonic Concorde jet, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. On Feb. 7, 1996, a British Airway Concorde flew between New York and London-Heathrow at an average speed of 1,250 mph in 2 hours, 52 minutes and 59 seconds.

On Sept. 20, 1973, a Concorde supersonic jet landed on American soil for the first time, marking the dedication of what is known today as DFW International Airport. DFW Airport is celebrating 50 years in operation this year.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Nice Tailwind!

#2 Post by llondel » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm

I've done over 800mph before now. I was on a Virgin flight and the captain noted in his PA announcement that we had an impressive tailwind and that we'd joined the small club of people who'd exceeded that speed. Probably 2008.

Of course, all you fast jet fighter pilots are probably sniggering at the back.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:31 pm

Yup - a bit too close to stall speed for me.......................... =))

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by bob2s » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:31 pm

The 46 years I spent with helicopters, convinced me that to determine which way a head win was blowing was to point a Bell 47 in the direction you
wanted to fly and there was your direction, straight on the nose, have had a horse beat us from one end of a paddock to the other end. Was a rare
event to see the ASI register anything approaching 80 knots, you plank drivers were spoilt!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by FD2 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:45 pm

The Daily Moron has an article that says a trans-Atlantic flight went supersonic...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... peeds.html 8-}

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:38 am

I guess that is why that particular paper has been referred to more than once as 'The Daily Fail' in places such as here. :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.