More vapourware or should that be trails?

MoreAviation

More vapourware or should that be trails?

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Interesting to note that the bearded wonder has, as always, seen the potential to publicise the Virgin brand by signing a letter of intent (not an option) on this aircraft!

http://www.flyingmag.com/boom-supersoni ... NjE2NDYwS0
There has been a lot of talk of supersonic airplanes of late, with Aerion developing a Mach 1.5 bizjet and NASA working on new technologies to make supersonic flight quieter. Now a new supersonic commercial passenger jet named Boom is emerging. The Denver-based team is targeting a top speed of Mach 2.2, Mach 0.2 faster than the Concorde, at a passenger price point similar to current business class airline tickets.

The supersonic airplane is in the early stages of development, with a targeted first flight at the end of next year. Boom says the initial flight testing is scheduled to take place at the Centennial Airport (KAPA) while supersonic testing will be conducted at the Edwards Air Force Base in California.

The team is led by Blake Scholl, a tech whiz who developed marketing automation for Amazon and started Kima Labs, a mobile technology company that was bought by Groupon. A private pilot, Scholl founded Boom along with software engineer and entrepreneur Josh Krall and Joe Wilding, who was the chief engineer of the Adam A700 jet and has been involved in the development of several other airplanes.

The three co-founders have amassed a team of professionals with previous work experience at companies such as Pratt & Whitney, Gulfstream, Boeing, NASA, Scaled Composites and Icon.

According to Fortune, Virgin is also involved in the project, having signed up for options for 10 Boom aircraft for Virgin Atlantic and offering help with the development and testing through Virgin Galactic. Fortune also reported that another unnamed airline has signed a letter of intent for 15 aircraft, bringing the total backlog to a booming $5 billion.

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt
Re: More vapourware or should that be trails?

#2 Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Smart looking design, can't help but think Baldrick must have been on the naming committee though!

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm

'Boom' in Afrikaans means a tree.
It's also used as the slang word for 'grass' as in marijuana/weed. (At least I think it is .... I am not well versed in such matters.)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:24 am

(At least I think it is .... I am not well versed in such matters.)

Really loved it - the smartest statement I read in a long time.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:18 pm

Are you not confusing "Boom" (the sound of the aircraft penetrating something, possibly the sound barrier) with "Bong" (the sound made when the undercarriage downlocks fail) - and also something used to smoke da weed ?

Slasher

#6 Post by Slasher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:22 pm

If a high end Viet prostitute ring bought one for the transport of their girls they could call it Boom Boom.