Charter, it's cheaper!

Capetonian

Charter, it's cheaper!

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:37 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/n ... -the-alps/

The price of some ski flights to the Alps during February half term is already so high that it’s now actually cheaper for families to charter seats on a private aircraft and fly in comfort to and from Geneva.

At the time of writing, the cost of easyJet return flights from Gatwick on February 11 next year had reached an incredible £758 per person, including hold luggage and seat reservations, while some of BA's daytime Gatwick to Geneva return flights cost as much as £899 per person. Prices are expected to rise even further as the date gets closer.

More Aviation

Re: Charter, it's cheaper!

#2 Post by More Aviation » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 am

I thought this might be a reprise of the old, flies, floats, f@cks adage! :)

I can only endorse the charter advice...

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:35 am

Having run a small air charter operation, I wonder if the Telegraph considered the return sector for the chartered aircraft in the costs?

My seat costs for DAY TRIPS were indeed reasonably comparative to the full fare seats on an airline, with the added advantage of 'turn up and go' + flexibility, but to 'drop off' a family in Geneva for a 7 day ski-holiday..............I do not think I could ever have competed!

More Aviation

#4 Post by More Aviation » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:48 am

Boac wrote:Having run a small air charter operation, I wonder if the Telegraph considered the return sector for the chartered aircraft in the costs?

My seat costs for DAY TRIPS were indeed reasonably comparative to the full fare seats on an airline, with the added advantage of 'turn up and go' + flexibility, but to 'drop off' a family in Geneva for a 7 day ski-holiday..............I do not think I could ever have competed!

Ah the small fortune and aviation truism... ;)

I guess back in the day when the Porsche and Pinotage set used to fly down to Verbier (well not necessarily there but you know what I mean) for the weekend and didn't need to ask the price, the numbers might have worked, but since the whole skiing gig has become hoi polloi centric I really do wonder if a charter could turn a $,£ or € in such a market.

A pretentious snob? Moi? :)

to charter seats on a private aircraft and fly in comfort to and from Geneva.

A legal contradiction or a confusion in terminology surely. The Telegraph is not the accurate newspaper it once was

MA

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:17 am

That 'audience' will always take charter - it is always so much easier and more comfortable than scheduled (I would if I had the dosh!).

The error is in the quote
"it’s now actually cheaper for families to charter seats on a private aircraft and fly in comfort to and from Geneva" which is a vast over-generalisation (in my opinion and based on my former costings).

Of course there will be charter organisations and occasions when the 'network' allows a return load, when even after a crew over-night it can start to get competitive, but how many companies have that sort of network?

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by reddo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am

Well, you wouldn't bother with Geneva if you're chartering. You'd go to Sion.