Knowing one's arse from one's elbow!

More Aviation

Knowing one's arse from one's elbow!

#1 Post by More Aviation » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:05 pm

In terms of altitude management knowing one's arse from one's elbow might just be knowing that one is higher than the other one but this simple fact can be a life saving piece of wisdom! I was apt to think of this when perusing this month's very useful CHIRP report (well worth subscribing to whatever kind of aviation you tend to commit)... it is so much easier learning from other people's honest mistakes than making them yourself.

May I draw your attention to a common misconception in 'Altitude Deviation' in the recent edition of CHIRP? The reporter talks about setting altimeters to 1013 as they pass the transition altitude, which is commonly believed to be correct but is not and for a very good reason. A pilot is permitted to set 1013 as soon as they've been assigned a flight level and I would encourage this, although to do so on the ground prior to take-off is perhaps unwise if this gives a negative figure on the altimeter, for obvious reasons. The transition altitude is defined as the altitude below which altitude should be referred to with reference to the QNH and above which with reference to 1013. It is NOT the altitude at which you change from one to the other. I've been an IRE for many years and one of the very common fail points I've doled out is when the QNH is low and a pilot changes from QNH to 1013 at the transition altitude but has been cleared to a low flight level, not for the action itself, which I usually retain as a strongly-worded debrief item rather than a failure point in itself, but for the effect it can produce. At [ ], for example, it's common to be assigned FL40, so in winter when the QNH is 980 or below (as happens quite regularly) there is 1000 ft. between the QNH and 1013, so a pilot who leaves it until the transition altitude (3000 ft. at [ ] before setting 1013 will overshoot their assigned level because FL40 is the same as 3000 ft. with a QNH of 980 hPa.

https://www.chirp.co.uk/

A simple point to understand but a mistake that many people seem to make for wont of not really thinking about what they are doing!

MA

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Knowing one's arse from one's elbow!

#2 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Ascending or descending ?

I was criticised on a UK I.Rtg renewal for setting the QNH on descent as I passed the transition alt. Can't remember the figures now, i.e. low or high pressure system.

Not a problem that worries me now, I have a different problem. Our local airfield is 496ft. above msl. and the "area" QNH is measured about 250 nm further South, so on days with a large pressure gradient - and sometimes is can be as much as 500 ft. - do I set the local pressure, to teach students to rejoin the circuit at 1,500 QNH i.e. 1,000 ft agl, or use the same setting as visiting aircraft joining the circuit from far afield, who will have the area QNH. There is no broadcast of field QNH. Gets interesting when one leaves on a cross country exercise !

More Aviation

Re: Knowing one's arse from one's elbow!

#3 Post by More Aviation » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:Ascending or descending ?

Point taking in reverse...

MA