Amazon makes first drone delivery in Cambridge

More Aviation

Amazon makes first drone delivery in Cambridge

#1 Post by More Aviation » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

It's already been three years since Amazon first revealed its somewhat audacious plan to make deliveries by drone. But the company is quite serious about this, and today it is announcing that it complete the first Amazon Prime Air drone-powered delivery. The company recently launched a trial in Cambridge, England -- and on December 7th, Amazon completed its first drone-powered delivery. It took 13 minutes from order to delivery, with the drone departing a custom-built fulfillment center nearby.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/14/ama ... -delivery/

Well while I give Amazon 10/10 for trying I am less than delighted by the thought that the airspace around Stansted is going to become any more cluttered (as the piece below implies). I also imagine that today could have been chosen for the test ,as opposed to the 7th when it was made, because it was probably the only day this week that such a flight could have been attempted VFR, fog, low cloud and mist having dominated for much of the week and will probably continue to do so until next summer (an exaggeration I know but perhaps not far from the truth).

Do they really think they can fly these things through Class D airspace and the concept of exclusive Amazon corridors sucks big time?

Amazon's FAQ page answers a few other questions about its drone delivery system. For starters, drones are only allowed to fly during daylight hours when its sunny -- rain, snow or icy conditions will ground them. As for how Amazon's drones will work in airspaces with other vehicles, the company says it believes drones should operate in a separate airspace where only small unmanned vehicles can operate. Amazon says airspace access should be "determined by capability" -- the company envisions the low altitude space it is operating in should be reserved exclusively for drones similar to what it plans to deploy.

MB

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Amazon makes first drone delivery in Cambridge

#2 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:22 am

I assume that once at the destination the drone extended a probe, pushed the doorbell, waited ten seconds, put a card through the letterbox informing the occupants that it tried to deliver but that they were not in, and cleared off at high speed. throwing the package in a nearby ditch, this keeping up to the high standards of amazon's human delivery drivers.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 am

Well, OFSO, your experience of Amazon deliveries is quite different to mine. Mine (earthbound) have all been faultless.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 500N » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:37 am

A lot of this stuff is just PR from Amason that gets free publicity
before the big buying days of the year.

Same as the patent in the media last week
for air warehouse with drones that glide down to customers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:59 am

your experience of Amazon deliveries is quite different to mine

Driver explained they have 30 seconds (!) to take parcel to front door of recipients house (in our case means running down steps to lower flat), ring bell marked "ring bell and wait" and get back to the truck. Watching the delivery guys they have the goods in one hand and the "you weren't at home' ticket in the other as they do the delivery. What does that tell you about their expectations ? On one occasion next door's neighbour was watching from window as driver flung our parcel into her front yard. (Location: Islington, London).

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:09 am

Indeed it is. We always leave an 'alternative' location for the delivery, sometimes a neighbour, sometimes a place. Our drivers seem always to be of 'immigrant' nature and have always been efficient and pleasant. Maybe it is the 'post-code lottery' at work. I think also using 'Prime' helps due to the ability to order when I can plan to be 'in' for the next-day delivery.

Regarding the ""you weren't at home' ticket in the other", I suspect that is how you would do it if it were you, rather than have to return to the vehicle for the ticket?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:33 pm

that is how you would do it if it were you

Even better might be to read the instructions by the client:

"There is at least one and usually two persons at the address 24/7 with no exceptions so delivery is always possible night and day, every day of the year".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:32 pm

We do not have the option for that much prose with our Amazon deliveries! I suggest you would fare better with the system I use with 'leave at front porch' offered.