Manston to reopen.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Manston to reopen.

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 am

I may be behind the curve and it may have been mentioned here but Manson Airport is likely to reopen.

Manston Airport re-opening application accepted by govt..

By News Team | 21st August 2018 10:06 Europe/London
Manston Airport

Great news for Manston Airport in Kent! The Planning Inspectorate has accepted the application for the upgrade and reopening Manston Airport for examination.

The Development Consent Order (DCO) for the proposed project was submitted in July 2018 by RiverOak Strategic Partners (RSP) which plans to operate an air freight business on the airport, with some passenger services as qell.

Sarah Richards, Chief Executive of the Planning Inspectorate said, “After careful consideration we have decided on behalf of the Secretary of State that the application submitted by RiverOak Strategic Partners Ltd met the required tests set out in the legislation to be accepted for examination.

“The applicant must now decide and publicise when members of the public can play a part in the examination process by registering with the Planning Inspectorate as an interested party to give their views.”
https://www.flyer.co.uk/manston-airport ... d-by-govt/

The cynic in me also anticipates a big Class D air grab in the South East..

Caco

Capetonian

Re: Managing to reopen.

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 am

Last I heard was that a shopping mall was being built there. I am pleased to hear that isn't true.

wings folded
Capt
Capt
Re: Manston to reopen.

#3 Post by wings folded » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm

It probably is still true. Look at Stansted.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Many happy memories of Manston dating from London UAS Chipmunks in 1965 and of my mate, the late Ted Girdler and a few visits in between on displays meeting some lovely ladies.... I did the (I think) first BA div in there in a Cat I 737 with a fogged out UK (after 4 sectors...!) only place open! Great night with the crew in a Ramsgate B&B with lots of 'extra vegetables' on the bill. :-bd

Its problem always was passenger catchment area and geography but it worked in the past for Invicta amongst others.

Could it be the necessary distraction for the dreaded Boris?

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 pm

That's a good point. I have strenuously avoided the @rsehole of Essex, Stansted Airport, for many years, but only yesterday I wrote to Gatwick Airport Management :
Dear Madam/Dear Sir

I have been a frequent user of Gatwick for many years and I note with pleasure the enormous improvements that have been made, and am a supporter of a second runway at Gatwick.

I would like to compliment you on the efficiency and generally pleasant attitude of the security staff, particularly at TN Premium which is the one I mostly use.

My complaint is that I object very strongly to being forced to walk through a long snaking shopping mall to get to the main concourse. I am not interested in shopping, least of all at airports, and I object to having to weave my way between people dawdling and dithering and blocking the aisles with themselves and their baggage, and the various other inconveniences which impede progress.

I accept that airports make money out of retail sales but I find unacceptable that there is no alternative route for people who do not wish to be subjected to the shopping mall experience. Furthermore it rather offsets the time saved by paying for Premium Security.

Maybe you could give consideration to a routing from security into the main concourse which bypasses the shopping area.

Yours faithfully

xxxxxxx

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I took the liberty of flying down the very long runway at Manston at low level about two months ago and it is clearly the place for a feeder airport although my heart is heavy about the notion that the airspace around here will become even more cluttered and dangerous as traffic at low level is crowded into even narrower and more congested corridors around London City, Southend, Gatwick and ultimately Manston.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45394789

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Took off from Manston on my last RAF flight. Best of luck to them!
And it is indeed very cluttered airspace at 420 knots low level. I seem to recall the only way to avoid all the shark-infested custard was to follow the big power lines along the South Downs.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Manston was a Waddington dispersal back in the 60s and two crews would go there three today a year on Kinsman (pre-planned) and Mickey Finn (no notice).

Now I had a deal with one of the crews. Cross the bar with a pint or more and they would be allocated Manston on the Mickey Finn. They always reported for duty amongst the earliest crews and always brought their DJs.

When stood down of an evening they would repair to a country club; more than that I do not know :)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Crashed there once, fantastic wide runway to crash on. Plenty of swerving area and the foam came free. Bit of a problem with the wheely things at the front end not wanting to make an appearance. Well they did but didn't want to lock. Stupid things. Never trust a painter with a spray gun in the undercarriage bay.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm

To my pleasant surprise, I have had a reply from Gatwick Airport. That in itself is something of a surprise, but even more pleasing is the fact that there is a solution :
Dear Mr xxxxx

Thanks for contacting the team at Gatwick regarding the walk-through World Duty Free store.

You might be pleased to hear that the Special Assistance route opened a couple of weeks ago, which can also be used as an alternative walking route for those who wish to bypass the World Duty Free store. This is to the right hand side at the back of the Security area.

Thanks again for getting in touch and I hope this is helpful for future visits.

Kind regards

xxxxxx
Customer Services
I shall try it on my next visit to Gatwick. The pessimist in me says that I will be stopped by some 'jobsworth' who will tell me that I don't need 'special assistance' as I am not a WCHR passenger, or don't have a carer, and am therefore not allowed to use that route. We will see.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Just point out you need 'Special Assistance' to avoid Duty Free :-bd

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Duty Free pushes my blood pressure up to dangerously high levels!