Rapid Airliner Boarding.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Rapid Airliner Boarding.

#21 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Actually most of the point you describe above are part of the current duty of gate staff like challenging out of sequence chancers or spotting baggage outside the normal cabin and changing the status from cabin to hold bag. But as a a lovely friend points out the staff can't do them without endangering the on-time performance.

BTW I willingly give my cabin bag in exchange of a priority sticker on it.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 am

“part of the current duty of gate staff...”.

But not always strictly enforced as handling staff are understandably reluctant to risk triggering confrontation which might hold up the boarding flow.

How often have we all observed “cabin baggage” which under no circumstances would fit into the underused size-checking cages seen at both check-in and at the boarding gate?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:41 am

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 am
“part of the current duty of gate staff...”.

But not always strictly enforced as handling staff are understandably reluctant to risk triggering confrontation which might hold up the boarding flow.

How often have we all observed “cabin baggage” which under no circumstances would fit into the underused size-checking cages seen at both check-in and at the boarding gate?
So it all comes down to rules/law enforcement. Actually there is no indication that the staff would enforce the new rules any more than it does now, unless the additional member is used to maintain the flow.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm

Almost all of my occasional flying these days is domestic in Canada. Everybody boards in sequence and deplanes in sequence without being told to. They also stand back from the luggage carousel so everyone can see, without the need for those red lines that everyone seems to ignore elsewhere. Even the kids don't wail. It's all very boring ;)))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:36 pm

“So it all comes down to rules/law enforcement. Actually there is no indication that the staff would enforce the new rules any more than it does now, unless the additional member is used to maintain the flow.”

Let’s hope LGW and other airports’ management read that before they splash out any money on the new improved system??!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#26 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 pm
Ones priorities differ depending if one is travelling domesticity or internationally.

On International flights, one needs to be processed by immigration before the carousel. So a speedy exit from the flying m/c will have value.
Yes indeed Ian as you know, for example, getting off first on a large jet at JNB makes a big difference going through immigration with those thick NRs. We always travel hand bags only so baggage reclaim is not an issue. At MUB we always get off first (1A & 1B) walk across the tarmac straight though resident's immigration, no baggage reclaim. Only hold up is customs who always stop us because we are first off and they feel that they should be doing something whilst the rest of the pax are waiting for bags. Unzip the bag speak to them in Setswana and off we go to the pub opposite the airport. 5 mins chocks to pub.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by ian16th » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 pm
Yes indeed Ian as you know, for example, getting off first on a large jet at JNB makes a big difference going through immigration with those thick NRs.
Dunno what its like these days, but having 4 B-747's arriving close together swamped the arrivals hall.

With BA using 2 A-380's to JHB, if any other a/c arrive it could be dire.
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:38 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:12 pm
Dunno what its like these days, but having 4 B-747's arriving close together swamped the arrivals hall.
That happened to me at SFO many years ago, flight was delayed and as a result we were the 5th 747 to arrive in a bunch. Took over two hours to escape through customs. In those days international was in what is now terminal 2, so we had to do baggage claim before joining the passport queue which probably evened the playing field a bit because first off (not me) still had to wait. Got to meet one of the beagles, who took an interest in my carry-on.