Who has the right of way,

prospector
Capt
Capt

Who has the right of way,

#1 Post by prospector » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 am

In this video clip, I would interpret the rule of the road at sea as "If to Starboard red appear tis your duty to keep clear" The Russian ship is obviously to stbd of the American, It would not appear to be an overtaking vessel, there for my interpretation would be the American ship caused the problem by not yielding right of way.

https://www.rt.com/news/477976-us-russi ... aign=Email [-X [-X [-X

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Who has the right of way,

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:33 am

In simple terms if you are on the right you are in the right. Yes, USN screwed up again. You can clearly see the aggressive approach by the Farragut.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:01 am

I don't think we have all the information.

In the second clip we can see the first ship, right of shot, had the other ship on its starboard side. Its course remained constant. The second ship was crossing astern. The second ship was certainly the overtaking ship in that clip, but had the US ship previously crossed ahead and then slowed down? Crossing ahead is not recommended.

In the first clip the ship having the camera ship on its port beam appeared to be the overtaking vessel, and correct, but had they been playing silly huggers with the speed?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am

Of course they had been hugging, but the Maritime Rules still apply. This is far from the first 'crossing' incident for the amateur sailing club.