Spouses share flight deck...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Spouses share flight deck...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:04 am

I wouldn't have thought this was a good idea but then maybe I am just an unreconstructed dinosaur!
I was here first, so to speak. I was already a pilot for TWA when Kevin and I met at an airshow. But our career paths were uniquely affected by airline bankruptcies, 9/11, union negotiations, and mergers. I held out with TWA until the bitter end, after American Airlines acquired my old employer in 2001. I was furloughed after the merger, and when I returned, our seniority had effectively reversed. My husband is now a captain, and I am his first officer. This is a testament to the fact that the cockpit door is like a marriage: neither wide nor tall enough to fit through with a chip on your shoulder.

Yes, the airlines know they have married couples in their cockpits and they’re okay with it. I’m sure there are a handful flying together at each of the majors. No one else wastes time thinking about it. There is no glass ceiling; pilot pay is transparent and based solely on seniority. We are all the same in the eyes of the company. They do not give much thought to women in the cockpit, and this lack of contemplation is evident in womens’ uniforms. Who decided to give us ladies pants sans pockets and scarves the size of handkerchiefs for ties?

Wardrobe aside, pilots are for the most part interchangeable. We all receive the same training. We are on the same team, but as with any team, there is a captain who is ultimately responsible—for the players and the airplane.
https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-toda ... k3MTU5MQS2
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Spouses share flight deck...

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:19 am

An article, in the last two weeks, about a Delta A330 couple who just retired. They "buddy bid" all the way till the end.
Good for them. They made it work. ^:)^ :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:08 am

Was this what you had in mind TGG when you voiced your reservations?

At 00' 55" it reaches the thread topic.

Shame the airports were threatened by the 'spoof' airlines if they ever permitted filming again on their patch, hence the end of a great series!!

Further info for our far-flung colleagues who may have missed the original screenings;

https://come-fly-with-me-tvshow.fandom. ... ckie_Trent

Simon is a pilot with Great British Air. He and co-pilot Jackie are Britain's first husband-and-wife flying team. However, the couple are experiencing some marital issues following Simon's indiscretion with an air hostess some years ago. Jackie now accompanies her husband on all his flights to keep a close and somewhat obsessive eye on him.

Matt: "Jackie and Simon are husband-and-wife pilots. Simon was a pilot who had been married to Jackie for a number of years and had a one-night stand with a stewardess. Jackie was looking through Simon's phone and found out, so she gave up her job as a dental hygienist and retrained to become a pilot so that she could accompany him on all flights. She remains very suspicious of his behaviour and continually berates him for his adultery, even though it was a one-off incident. He says, 'I told you it was a one-night stand'. She calls it an affair and says, 'You did it again in the morning. That to me is an affair!' So she often appeals for sympathy from the female viewers, she sort of allies herself."

=)) :)) =))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:37 pm

"Gear Down"
"Gear Down"
"I want the gear down - did you hear?"
" No - you haven't said you love me today"

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:10 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:08 am
Was this what you had in mind TGG when you voiced your reservations?

=))
Yes, that sums up my qualms perfectly! =))

How did I manage to miss that series? Looked it up on Wiki...

FlyLo is a low cost, no frills airline owned by Omar Baba. Providing service across Europe and selected destinations across the Atlantic and South East Asia, it uses many hidden charges and unorthodox schemes in order to cut costs. These include £1 flights to New York City (with a £480 booking fee), upright flatbeds in economy class, and a very small hand baggage allowance. FlyLo also offers budget package holidays that do not go down very well with its passengers.

Our Lady Air is an Irish low-cost airline, providing low cost routes across Europe. It saves money by flying to airports further away from the actual city centre, such as landing a flight to Barcelona in Ireland. Our Lady Air offers business class; in-flight meals; and no hidden charges.

Great British Air (Callsign: Swiftbird) is a major British flag carrier airline, providing a high class service around the world from the United Kingdom. The airline is renowned for having the finest first class service in the world, with champagne and chocolates on boarding, and well cooked meals on long haul flights. On short haul flights, both first and economy class passengers are given a complimentary small glass of fresh orange juice and a complimentary browse of The Daily Mail.
:)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:25 am

If you’d been a Grauniad reader in them days, TGG, you could not have missed it!

Here is a perfectly balanced comment on the series from someone without an axe to grind;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ly-with-me :)) =))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am

It is probably the end for the type of 'pantomime humour' where people dress up as other ethnic types.

Aladdin?