King Air just keeps on going..

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

King Air just keeps on going..

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:21 am

Textron Aviation announced on October 5 the FAA type certification of the upgrades to its Becchcraft King Air 300 series—the King Air 360 and 360ER—paving the way for deliveries to begin. The 360 and 360ER feature autothrottles from Innovative Solutions & Support that ease pilot workload in most phases of flight, including takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, and go around, sensing over- and under-speed, over-torque, and over-temperature situations. A new digital pressurization controller integrated into the Collins Pro Line Fusion flight deck automatically schedules pressurization during climb and descent, also easing workload and increasing comfort for the folks in back. The new model debuted in August 2020.

“The new era of the industry-leading Beechcraft King Air begins today,” said Chris Hearne, senior vice president, engineering and programs for Textron Aviation. “The King Air 360 is a perfect combination of customer input, innovative technology and next-generation capabilities. By incorporating superior features and engineering advancements into an aircraft that is renowned for its versatility and reliability, we have elevated the King Air to the next level. With certification now in hand, we are thrilled to soon get these aircraft into the hands of our eager customers.”

The 360/360ER seats up to 9 passengers in an airframe that keeps a cabin altitude of 5,960 feet at 27,000 feet msl, which is 10 percent lower than cabin altitude at the equivalent cruise altitude in the King Air 350i. And the cabin itself has had a makeover, utilizing elements from the Citation CJ series with upgraded materials and colorways, plus USB and standard power outlets, and a private aft lavatory.
7537WJRDDZCDXEQBQ3DHO3CLCY.jpg
https://www.flyingmag.com/story/aircraf ... ln4-14C3RQ
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

admin
Chief Engineer

Re: King Air just keeps on going..

#2 Post by admin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 am

Me 45 years ago, doing preflight whilst meine Kapitaine did the meet and greet with the vip pax. Not sure what model of the Kingie it was. Wasn't Alison back then, hence the blur, and sitting in left hand seat wasn't my norm especially on this bird. ;)))

KingairBlur.jpg
KingairBlur.jpg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
Alison
PS. at Rand Airport

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by barkingmad » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:31 pm

This story of an apparently soundly designed aircraft reminds me I’ve always wondered why Mr Boeing, when looking for a 200+ seater for the airline market, did not consider a reworked 757 in preference to mucking about with the already questionable 737-900 series thereby resulting in the Max fiasco and disaster.

The 757 was always regarded with great respect, maybe affection, by crews and presumably SLF and could stop shorter than the 73NG but for some obscure reason the overstretched 737 swallowed all that development effort and money and the rest is history.

Yours truly,
from the grumpy old ‘frame driver who was NOT in the classroom with the grumpy old ground and flight engineers when the back of the envelope was being scrawled upon. X(

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Like the "Gooney Bird" and the 737 series, right up to the "disastrous stretch/upgrade too far" with the Max, the King Air is an old perrenial.

My better half and I had dinner last night with a good friend who still flies the King Air and is always full of enthusiasm for the bird and who reckons it will still be around in some form thirty years from now.

I was interested in barkingmad's comments about the 757 an aircraft I know very little about. Perhaps others might care to opine about that too.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by barkingmad » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 pm

TGG whilst we await the waking up of former/current “stick insect” drivers and engineers here, I offer this article as evidence that my own normally dysfunctional and weird thought processes somehow turned out to be almost rational;

https://askthepilot.com/757-v-737/

Meanwhile, as I’ve strayed off thread, perhaps Alison or Admin might want to kick this Boeing gossip across to a new thread and leave this thread to King Air experts and enthusiasts as the type undoubtedly deserves further dedicated comment? :-?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:06 am

barkingmad wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 pm
TGG whilst we await the waking up of former/current “stick insect” drivers and engineers here, I offer this article as evidence that my own normally dysfunctional and weird thought processes somehow turned out to be almost rational;

https://askthepilot.com/757-v-737/

Meanwhile, as I’ve strayed off thread, perhaps Alison or Admin might want to kick this Boeing gossip across to a new thread and leave this thread to King Air experts and enthusiasts as the type undoubtedly deserves further dedicated comment? :-?
An interesting article barkingmad. We should set up another thread to investigate further.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Wodrick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Not a Pilot but I've worked with a few. There are several aircraft that they thought wonderful flying machines DH106, B727, B757, DC10. most anybody that flew the 757 thought it wunnerful.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Never flew a "real" King Air but have 1,000 hours PIC in Beech 1900C which I called the Super Duper King Air TM.
The Super King Air 300 and the 1900 shared a type rating at one time. Unfortunately, I got my type after they were split off.
1900 was a solid machine, typical Beechcraft. Only gripe was that it was certified under commuter rules and was limited to FL 250.

PP

Edit:
Gripe #2.
Air conditioning weak on ground and it was not unusual to see cabin temp pegged at 120oF on taxi out until about 10,000'.on typical summer days in PHX.