Chief Pilot

Re: Chaos in Africa

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 pm

My brother in law and his family left what was still Rhodesia with nothing but pretty much the clothes they had on in the late 70's. His dad had been headmaster at St George's College in Salisbury and he had seen the writing on the wall. They had taken the gap as it were but by 1985 a substantial number of the white population had done the same. My sister and my brother in law went back to live in Zimbabwe, basically living in the veld in a tent for 2 years, amongst the baboons in the early 90's before they decided to move back to Cape Town and then moved over to the UK where he worked as a chemical engineer for BP. Like his father before him he is an astute man. They miss Africa but sadly SA is slowly going the same way. I feel enomously sorry for the Zimbabweans, both black and white, who have have been forced to leave.Tis all very depressing, especially for the older folk who are stuck, in penury in the country while their kids live in the diaspora.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Yup. We who flew cubic black laqured tin boxes from those green tents never did promise to bring tidings of joy and of jolly good cheer. That wasn't our job.

Our task was to carry slotted black tin boxes from A to B and from B to A. Bit simple, really.

We simply pulled pitch. That's all we did, other than lowering pitch and adjusting in a similarly gentlemanly manner for a smooooth landing, though the navy guys might have been a bit rough in that respect due to their habit of hiding their roughness behind the usual waterywaves of the uppydownyness of the arsedeck of their home punts.

Fortunately, for everyone concerned, I never had to to draw my 9mm pistol from its holster in Rho/Zim.

EasypeasyMoneyMoney. Even the BCal guys got it. That's how hard it was.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:11 pm

Just in case I ever have to do one of those one in four exam questions, I'm watching that thing on this thread very closely.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Our task was to carry slotted black tin boxes from A to B and from B to A. Bit simple, really.
Life in SA, Rhodesia and Zim always involved slotting something, from floppies, to ballot boxes, or just simply in or out, like keys in a mad environment, from white to dark and back again! Humans never learn anything.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:17 am

^#(^
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 am
Undried Plum wrote:

Life in SA, Rhodesia and Zim always involved slotting something, from floppies, to ballot boxes, or just simply in or out, like keys in a mad environment, from white to dark and back again! Humans never learn anything.
Our task, under some kind of sub-sub-contract to Allan Mann, was to deliver black-lacquered tin boxes from one poxy place to another.

The rather embarrassing photo of a bloke in by then no longer fashionable flares, who can be seen sorting out the seat belts in the rear of the aircraft, may or may not of been of moi. I couldn't possibly comment.

My past does have a habit of catching up with me like a scared rabbit.

I didn't spend my life in Andovers and Vickers Knickers. I did other stuff. Swing that lamp and I'll tell ye a story.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:17 am
^#(^
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 am
Undried Plum wrote:

Our task, under some kind of sub-sub-contract to Allan Mann, was to deliver black-lacquered tin boxes from one poxy place to another.

The rather embarrassing photo of a bloke in by then no longer fashionable flares, who can be seen sorting out the seat belts in the rear of the aircraft, may or may not of been of moi. I couldn't possibly comment.

My past does have a habit of catching up with me like a scared rabbit.

I didn't spend my life in Andovers and Vickers Knickers. I did other stuff. Swing that lamp and I'll tell ye a story.
Steady Green from the tower for that story UP.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Woody » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:19 pm

This trial next month could be interesting :-o

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... s-20210421
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:19 pm
This trial next month could be interesting :-o

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... s-20210421
One of the chaps you met with me at the "grape picking" has just pulled out of a business deal due to evidence that certain actors in the transaction were implicated in Mbeki's dodgy business dealings.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm

This explosion caused some damage to apartments in the development where we have our place.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... t-20210504
When all else fails, read the instructions.