"Charming" English riff raff at it again...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

"Charming" English riff raff at it again...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 15, 2021 10:05 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... ml?r=75303
Three passengers were taken to hospital with serious injuries and 17 were arrested after a mass brawl erupted in the departure lounge of London’s Luton Airport on Friday — a fight caught on video by onlookers.

The fight, which started in the post-security ‘airside’ zone at about 8am, sent others scurrying for safety as punches and kicks were thrown between duty free shops and restaurants.

Video posted to social media showed blood spots on the floor of the north London terminal, which is popular with budget airlines including Wizzair and Easyjet.

At least a dozen were seen involved in the violence as others could be heard shouting and pleading for the violence to stop.

An airport spokesman told The Independent: “We are shocked and saddened by this incident.

“We take a zero tolerance approach to violence and continue to assist the police with their enquiries. We would like to apologise to any passengers affected.”

Bedfordshire Police said it was investigating the brawl.

“Police were made aware of a violent disorder at London Luton Airport,” a spokesman said. “Four people were injured, and three were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Three passengers were taken to hospital with serious injuries and 17 were arrested after a mass brawl erupted in the departure lounge of London’s Luton Airport on Friday — a fight caught on video by onlookers.

The fight, which started in the post-security ‘airside’ zone at about 8am, sent others scurrying for safety as punches and kicks were thrown between duty free shops and restaurants.

Video posted to social media showed blood spots on the floor of the north London terminal, which is popular with budget airlines including Wizzair and Easyjet.

At least a dozen were seen involved in the violence as others could be heard shouting and pleading for the violence to stop.

An airport spokesman told The Independent: “We are shocked and saddened by this incident.

“We take a zero tolerance approach to violence and continue to assist the police with their enquiries. We would like to apologise to any passengers affected.”

Bedfordshire Police said it was investigating the brawl.

“Police were made aware of a violent disorder at London Luton Airport,” a spokesman said. “Four people were injured, and three were taken to hospital with serious injuries.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: "Charming" English riff raff at it again...

#2 Post by Boac » Sat May 15, 2021 10:13 am

Can we be sure that Bedfordshire Police are investigating the brawl? :))

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by tango15 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:23 am

As one who worked at LTN for six months, (I left because I couldn't stand it any longer), I'm not surprised. No excuses for the behaviour, but the environs and the terminal itself do little to promote calm behaviour. The place is like a rabbit warren and I avoided walking through it with a high-viz on whenever possible because you would be accosted every few metres by someone who was lost and trying to find their way to a badly-signed gate.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm

I gather those involved were Romanian and it involved two extended families. Nothing new there, then. Just a few LMCs on the loadsheet!

I am disgusted with you, TGG. How dare you accuse the English of behaving badly! =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 pm

punches and kicks were thrown between duty free shops and restaurants.
You would have thought the restaurants would have been better behaved.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 15, 2021 3:55 pm

tango15 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm
I gather those involved were Romanian and it involved two extended families. Nothing new there, then. Just a few LMCs on the loadsheet!

I am disgusted with you, TGG. How dare you accuse the English of behaving badly! =))
Shame on me for accusing the poor innocent English... =)) ;)))

Will these dreadful Romanians be allowed to remain here I wonder?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by tango15 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:20 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:55 pm
tango15 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Shame on me for accusing the poor innocent English... =)) ;)))

Will these dreadful Romanians be allowed to remain here I wonder?
Well personally, I hope so - otherwise who will wash my car? :)

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by EA01 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Dropped someone off at Luton once....that was my sole interaction with the place

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Thu May 20, 2021 1:51 pm

We've used Stanstead, twice!

Once out, once in.
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by llondel » Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 pm

I've had the misfortune to use Luton for a couple of return flights, both to Gibraltar. I remember being pulled by customs twice there, once because my father and I were piloting a trolley loaded with bags and the chap didn't see my wife with our son and his cousins following behind. I think he was a bit surprised to suddenly be surrounded by enough people to account for the number of bags. The other time I think my wife was using a padded thermal bag as a general purpose carry-bag and the chap that time wanted to make sure she wasn't importing dodgy meat products.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 am

You must admit the reasons for their suspicions were justified.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by llondel » Fri May 21, 2021 5:19 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 am
You must admit the reasons for their suspicions were justified.
I think we were more amused by events than annoyed. As with the times I get a bag pulled at the x-ray machine, I like to know what attracted their attention so I can pack more carefully next time and either have the offending item easy to get, or to just put it in the tray on its own. I took a hard disk through security once and it attracted attention and got dusted down for explosives. Second time I had to do it, I just put it in the tray and it sailed through without comment.

I don't think the padded bag got used for carry-on again.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#13 Post by jimtherev » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm

I remember being pulled by customs twice there, once because my father and I were piloting a trolley loaded with bags...
Hardly thread-drift here, rather thread abandonment for a moment:
I really wish I knew what triggers this, but every time in the last 5 years I've gone through Toronto security outbound, I've been pulled out of the queue for a drugs sniff and pat-down... and I've always asked - successfully - if Mrs Jim could join me. Up to the top of the line and searched within 30 seconds, and off for our supper.

If I could do it this end too, it would be wonderful... but then we fly from Manchester...

(I've asked at YYZ what made them stop me... they wouldn't say, of course)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 am

jimtherev wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm
I remember being pulled by customs twice there, once because my father and I were piloting a trolley loaded with bags...
Hardly thread-drift here, rather thread abandonment for a moment:
I really wish I knew what triggers this, but every time in the last 5 years I've gone through Toronto security outbound, I've been pulled out of the queue for a drugs sniff and pat-down... and I've always asked - successfully - if Mrs Jim could join me. Up to the top of the line and searched within 30 seconds, and off for our supper.

If I could do it this end too, it would be wonderful... but then we fly from Manchester...

(I've asked at YYZ what made them stop me... they wouldn't say, of course)
You don't ask what made them stop you, you ask why they target you every time you come through. Perhaps they have a quota of one rev a week and if not enough of you travel, it means you're always needed as part of the quota.