Transport Canada Grounds Buffalo Airways

Cave Canem

Transport Canada Grounds Buffalo Airways

#1 Post by Cave Canem » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I see that Buffalo Airways that has become famous (or infamous) worldwide for its role in the TV series 'Ice Pilots' has had its operational licence revoked at the beginning of December.

Transport Canada has grounded Buffalo Airways, the Northwest Territories airline made famous for the past six seasons on TV's "Ice Pilots: NWT." In a press release, the regulator said it is suspending Buffalo Airways' operating certificate because of its "poor safety record. The suspension took effect Monday at 11:59 p.m. "

"The department will not allow Buffalo Airways to resume its commercial air service until it proves it can keep its operations consistently compliant with aviation safety regulations," the release said.

Buffalo Airways provides cargo and passenger flights from its base in Hay River throughout the Northwest Territories and beyond in a vintage Douglas DC-3, DC-4, Lockheed L-188 Electra and Curtiss C-46. The airplanes are popular with TV viewers who follow the exploits of the airline's pilots and, in particular, Buffalo's gruff founder Joe McBryan.

Transport Canada says it consulted the airline in the lead-up to the suspension, which follows a history of incidents and regulatory "deficiencies.

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/transport-canada-grounds-buffalo-airways#7KLh31R0YPe52u4I.99

One such incident that seems to have been well handled by the crew involved.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p29IWLsjSE[/bbvideo]

More detail here with Transport Canada talking of an "adversarial relationship"...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/buffalo-airways-suspended-1.3346524

stuart
Capt
Capt

Re: Transport Canada Grounds Buffalo Airways

#2 Post by stuart » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

It seems a shame, the regulators probably didn't appreciate the TV programme with all the incidents but imo they were over dramatised. I remember the water bomber landing or a rather touch and go in Turkey with no gear down oops !
it's good to be bad.

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#3 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:56 am

Doesn't it take two parties for there to be an 'adversarial relationship'?
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:57 am

GrumpyOldFart wrote:Doesn't it take two parties for there to be an 'adversarial relationship'?

No. Going by my Australian experience regulators here are born hating pilots. With most wholly convinced their lives would be a damm sight easier if pilots were banned altogther.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Stoneboat » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:49 pm

No. Going by my Australian experience regulators here are born hating pilots.

It seems that way, doesn't it? Wasn't always. I once did an instrument rating renewal/pilot proficiency check on the DC-3 where the inspector acted as co-pilot, just the two of us on the aircraft.
At the end of the ride we landed and switched seats and he did a couple of touch and go's. He walked off the airplane grinning from ear to ear.

Joe pissed off a lot of people in Ottawa, and now it's their turn. In the meantime there is another operator across the airport that lost a Caravan when it was launched into known ice and a Twin Otter on floats on a botched landing, and not an eyelash was batted. All aboard the Twotter were killed. Another operator in Ontario lost a 748 freighter a couple of years ago. They were hauling fuel and defueling from the aircraft onboard bladder tanks to the above ground tanks using a non-approved - read Honda - water pump. The pump caught fire and woosh, the whole shebang went up. The same operator recently lost a Caravan, also launching in known ice, and again nothing from the regulators, although in this latest case it may be too early. Buffalo Joe on the other hand, has never injured a passenger in 40 years of flying in some pretty difficult conditions using the very airplanes the regulators want to get rid of because they're 'too old.'

lasernigel
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by lasernigel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/buffalo-airways-licence-reinstated-1.3401130

Seems it's back in business albeit without Joe.

MoreAviation

#7 Post by MoreAviation » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:39 am

lasernigel wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/buffalo-airways-licence-reinstated-1.3401130

Seems it's back in business albeit without Joe.

Yes it seems that Buffalo Airways had to jump through hoops to get back into the game and Joe behaved with credit towards his employees before being becoming the sacrificial lamb... Seems somebody was keen to nail him. Perhaps you can only cock a snook at authority for so long..

A little more about the saga before the suspension was revoked...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/buf ... -1.3379716

Joe McBryan, owner and president of Buffalo Airways and star of Ice Pilots NWT, has signed a letter agreeing to step away from the day-to-day operations of the airline, according to a consultant working to help the beleaguered company have its suspended air operator certificate reinstated.

On November 30, Transport Canada grounded the operations of the popular northern airline, citing a "poor safety record." The airline had continued to use charters to serve clients, but announced Thursday it's postponing passenger flights on its principal passenger route, between Yellowknife and Hay River, N.W.T.

To review and revamp its safety standards, the company hired DTI Training, a consulting firm that has worked with NASA and helped write Transport Canada's quality control procedures over a decade ago.

Sol Taboada, the firm's owner, told CBC that having McBryan, known fondly across the North as "Buffalo Joe," step away was "an extreme step" in response to pressure from Transport Canada.

But it may not be enough.

McBryan's letter was included in Buffalo's most recent submission to Transport Canada, but Taboada said the company received word Wednesday that it's still not satisfied.

McBryan is not part of Buffalo's management team, but is heavily involved in day-to-day operations with the airline.

"You have a man who owns the company, a man with a powerful personality," Tabaoda said. "He's got 50 years experience. Even though he's technically not one of the executives in the company, if he walks through a hangar and tells somebody 'I think you should do this,' they're pretty much going to do it."

McBryan is also well-known as a man who gets things done, a reputation that Taboada said may be hurting him.

"One of the problems Buffalo Airways has is when a Northern community calls with an emergency and needs an extra piece of something on a plane for whatever reason, Joe never says no," he said. "They load it on, and so they'd be overweight.

According to Taboada, pressure for McBryan to step down were both subtle and not-so-subtle.

It came to a head at a Dec. 11 meeting with Transport Canada.

Buffalo presented a set of corrective actions, including a third-party "gatekeeper" who would oversee the company's flight operations, that Taboada believed would address the issues that led to Buffalo's suspension.

"The question was asked to me: 'If we lift the suspension today, what will the operation look like tomorrow?'" he said. "More specifically, what will the DC-3 operation look like?"

Taboada answered that the operations of the DC-3, a plane in Buffalo's fleet often piloted by McBryan, would be the same as the rest of Buffalo's aircraft. After the meeting, he received a call from an acquaintance working for Transport Canada.

"He goes: 'Is Joe going to be flying the DC-3?' I said: 'He's a pilot! Sure! Why not?' He goes: 'How are you going to control Joe on day-to-day operations?'," Taboada said.

"And I said: 'How am I going to control him? I can get a rope, I can tie him up and take a picture? Is that what you want?'"
Three weeks into the suspension, Taboada says he's worried that costs will spiral out of control, leaving the company on poor footing to resume operations.

McBryan has refused to lay off any of his employees, meaning that the airline is paying salaries and other costs, but is not taking in revenue.

Taboada says he feels that Transport Canada is not treating Buffalo fairly.

"You've got 113 employees twisting in the wind, not knowing if they're going to have a job. It's just not right," he said.

"Either let them operate to see if we've corrected these problems, or chop the head off right now. Just do it, and get it over with."

In an e-mail, Transport Canada spokesperson Amber Wonko said that "Transport Canada continues to work with Buffalo Airways in view to addressing the safety concerns identified."

Kristine Cook, Buffalo's communications manager, said the airline had no comment at this time. McBryan has declined to comment to media since the suspension began.

MoreAviation

#8 Post by MoreAviation » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 pm

and Joe behaved with credit towards his employees before being becoming the sacrificial lamb

How to make a lamb based hash of the English language...

MA going around...

and Joe behaved creditably with regard to his employees before becoming the sacrificial lamb...

Ah that's better...!