When should pilots hang up their goggles?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: When should pilots hang up their goggles?

#21 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:30 pm

JamesM wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:01 pm
Engineer here, not a pilot (except for gliding). Packed it in in early and retired as frankly the decrease in safety was getting to my conscience. Cutbacks, crap managers, staff ***** ridiculous working hours and near-permanent fatigue convinced me that if I carried on people would die because of an error I'd made. I think people will still die, but it won't be on my conscience but on some other poor, over-worked sod that misses something after he or she has been working around the clock because the management couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.

I'm now nearly skint, living in one of the most expensive countries in Europe, but would not change it for the world. My most serious worry right now is whether my latest batch of home brew is going to be drinkable. I can live with worries like that!
You sound like a wise chap, chap, JamesM. I guess the simpler we keep things the better. If homebrew is the biggest worry you have then you can drink and lessen that worry as well. Enjoy your retirement. ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:34 am

The time to hang up your goggles is....
...at the end of the trip before the one that kills you :D

I'm with James.
I've quit 2 careers when the adminers and politicians started forcing me to do the wrong things.

The most dangerous thing is when you cannot exercise good judgment, either because your faculties are failing, or you are being prohibited from doing so.

..or you feel your luck is running out. Fate is the Hunter.

p.s. also doing homebrew, beer and wine - maybe we should have a thread?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:06 pm

They say there are two groups of pilots; Those who walk out to their a/c knowing it's going to be the last flight, and those who walk out not knowing it.

I belong to the latter group- I plonked my jet down in Kazakhstan, went on leave and got fired due to Covid while in India.

I think 60 is a good age to chuck it, if you can afford it.