Doncaster Airport to close.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Doncaster Airport to close.

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 am

The long-term future of Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) looks bleak after its owner confirmed the site is to close. The Peel Group said “no tangible proposals” had been received from potential suitors for the South Yorkshire Airport leaving it with no viable alternative.

Peel said it will “begin winding down the provision of aviation services” from October 31, adding that it will work with customers and other users to minimise disruption.

This commitment to reduce the impact of the closure was not enough for Oliver Coppard, the major of South Yorkshire, who launched a blistering attack on the airport’s current owners. He alleged that despite his office presenting possible options to Peel, they appeared determined to shut the site.

“I’m devastated by today’s announcement by Peel and angry about the impact it will have on our communities… The fact that they [Peel Group] chose to turn down our offer simply confirms what many of us suspected: that Peel was never serious about finding an alternative and safeguarding the future of DSA.”

The fate of DSA has been in doubt since July, when Peel announced a strategic review of operations, consulting with local and national stakeholders to find possible ways forward. This came just a few weeks after Wizz Air – the airport’s main airline customer – radically reduced its flying programme from DSA.

In a blunt assessment of the status quo and future outlook Peel said: “None of these discussions has delivered any tangible results that have changed the Board of DSA or Peel’s clear view that the airport is and will remain unviable.”
https://www.key.aero/article/breaking-d ... ermanently

Vulcan XH558 and Canberra WK163 will have to find a new home!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Doncaster Airport to close.

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 am

Was awarded me wings there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am

RAF Finningley?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:31 am
RAF Finningley?
Sure was.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:35 am

I didn't know there was a basic FTS there - I only knew it as a Nav School.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:19 am

Multi engine training on the Jetstream T1.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 am

The training system must have changed since my day as I got my wings on the Jet Provost Basic course? The FTS always had a 'Wings Parade' for the proud mums and dads (and lads :)) )

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 am
The training system must have changed since my day as I got my wings on the Jet Provost Basic course? ...
Same kind of thing in my day in the RN. Wings were awarded at the completion of the basic rotary wing course and this was after a short 8-10 hour Tiger Moth course and solo at Plymouth Roborough followed by a Chipmunk course at 1FTS at Linton. Then came AFT and OFT before front line which in my case was 27 months after joining up. Nowadays I believe RN Wings are awarded after OFT and it's roughly four years after joining that a pilot goes front line.

The National Police Air Service (NPAS) have a base at Doncaster and put up a new hangar there to house their helicopters and four P68 fixed wings. Wonder where they will go - Teeside perhaps.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:07 am

In the late 70s it was after advanced flying training. Then you had to get through the OCU and 6 months operational before confirmed. I did the OCU on the Andover MK1. 32 Sqn had the Andover Mk2 which was closer to the ground than the Mk1. You only got a handful of hours to convert. I kept rounding out early at night. They were nearly very short lived wings. Obviously I hacked it.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:11 am

Anyone know exactly when the award of 'Wings' went from post Basic to post advanced? Up to 1972 my students got their wings from Cranwell. It could be very bad and demoralising news considering the humungous holding that some get between basic FTS and advanced.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:33 am

Well I started basic flying training at Cranwell mid 1978 so there is your bracket.

Edit, we can narrow it down further. The course was a year and I do not remember a wings parade when we arrived.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:31 pm

The burden of government regulations and administration falls disproportionately on small scale operators.
This is happening everywhere, in all industries.
And it's a bit difficult for an airport to go grey or black market. B-)

Personally, I thought all was lost when they moved the Nav School ;)))