F-35 to appear at Farnborough this year...!

MoreAviation

F-35 to appear at Farnborough this year...!

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:29 pm

Britain’s new stealth fighter will finally make its debut appearance in the UK this summer, two years after it pulled out of air shows because of an engine fire.

Crowds of plane enthusiasts are expected to turn up to see the F-35B when it appears at displays in July.

The new stealth fighter being developed by countries including America and Britain is lauded as the world’s most advanced combat jet, but has been blighted by delays.

The United States Marines have confirmed they intend to fly two of the new Lockheed Martin planes to the UK for their first ever appearance. They are expected to appear at both the Farnborough Air Show and the Royal International Air Tattoo in Gloucestershire.
Sources told the Reuters news agency that Britain was also hoping to show off one of its own four F-35s which are currently being used for training and testing in the US.

US sources said another American stealth fighter, the F-22 could also make an appearance at UK shows this summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -year.html

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLh-6Rt4NTs[/bbvideo]

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: F-35 to appear at Farnborough this year...!

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 am

So what does the pilot do if a single bullet or piece of shrapnel penetrates his all seeing, all displaying screen rendering it unusable? Eject ? When you think of WWII Lancasters still flying with half the cockpit blown away, is this real progress? Sorry but as an ex-avionics type, the prospect of everything on one screen would fill me with dread. Sounds like a typical septic's approach to warfare - We shoot at them, but they're not allowed to shoot back.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

603DX
Capt
Capt

Re: F-35 to appear at Farnborough this year...!

#3 Post by 603DX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:37 pm

Alisoncc wrote:So what does the pilot do if a single bullet or piece of shrapnel penetrates his all seeing, all displaying screen rendering it unusable? Eject ? When you think of WWII Lancasters still flying with half the cockpit blown away, is this real progress? Sorry but as an ex-avionics type, the prospect of everything on one screen would fill me with dread. Sounds like a typical septic's approach to warfare - We shoot at them, but they're not allowed to shoot back.

Alison

I understand that pilots of the Typhoon with its clever-dick computer controlled canard foreplanes might be forced to eject if the avionics are similarly damaged by enemy fire, or if they go u/s. Apparently human reactions are far too slow to cope manually with the superfast foreplane movements needed for stable flight of this inherently unstable configuration - or so I have been told.

In 2014 I was very pleased to attend on a trade day at Farnborough, thanks to my son's corporate contacts, and the first UK appearance of the F-35 was keenly anticipated then. Very disappointing to all present when it didn't appear after all. Maybe better luck this time!